Iran vs. Canada: Whose side are you on?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2012
      September 11, 2012

      Iran vs. Canada: Whose side are you on?

      Tarek Fatah
      The Toronto SUN

      For the last 30 years I have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the victims of the bloodthirsty Ayatollahs who run and rule the Islamic Republic of Iran.

      A close friend is a Torontonian who has never met his youngest sister, born after he fled Iran through Pakistan’s Balochistan mountains, then to India, only to find refuge in Canada.

      Another colleague, who today works for the Canadian Labour Congress, fled on foot over the Kurdish mountains, ducking bullets from pursuing hit squads of the Islamic regime known as Pasadran, or the “Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution.”

      A Tehran broadcaster tells me harrowing tales of how she escaped with two young boys to end up in Turkey.

      At least one friend I know was so brutalized in the Islamic prisons of Iran, he committed suicide in Pakistan.

      More than three million Iranians fled the rise of Islamism in their country. From Royalists to Marxists, trade unionists to artists, old and young — the regime shed them like an ogre spitting out seeds while devouring a juicy watermelon.

      So when Ottawa decided to expel the representatives of the Ayatollahs from Canada, I thought most Iranian-Canadians would burst out in joy and celebrate the ultimate insult to their enemy.

      I was wrong.

      Some did rejoice, like the brave Homa Arjomand who led the fight against Sharia Law in Canada, but too many prominent Iranian-Canadians criticized Canada for taking on Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism.

      Even Iranian-Canadian broadcaster Jian Gomeshi questioned Ottawa’s decision.

      Some have said they would not be able to go on family vacations while others suggested Prime Minister Stephen Harper had become a sidekick of Israel. Few voiced their opinions as Canadians; almost all spoke as if they were first and foremost Iranian.

      [ To read the rest of the op-ed, please click here:
      http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/11/iran-vs-canada-whose-side-are-you-on ]