Canadian Foreign Minister's remarks and my response in the Toronto Star

  • tarekfatah
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2002

      A Canadian accused of working for the Al Qaeda was recently whisked
      away from the Sultante of Oman by Canada's secret service, CSIS.
      After being broought to Canada, CSIS arranged to have him cross the
      US border in questionable circumstances into the arsm of the FBI.

      Yesterday the Canadian Foriegn Minister told the press he was 'fully
      satisfied' with the actions of the CSIS. Today's Toronto Star carries
      my response to the Foreign Minister's remarks.

      Here is the piece for your interest. The Foriegn Minister's remarks
      are at the bottom of this e-mail.

      Tarek Fatah

      Graham's remarks insult Canada

      Re Graham `fully satisfied' with Jabarah case, Aug. 7.

      I am amused that Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham has the
      audacity to claim he is "fully satisfied" at the imprisonment without
      trial of a fellow Canadian by the U.S. government and that this
      internment meets his standards.

      Come, come, Mr. Foreign Affairs Minister.

      We all know your hands are tied in this matter, but please don't
      sprinkle salt on our wounds by putting on a pretence of bravado and
      fair play.

      Mohamed Mansour Jabarah may very well be guilty of the charges
      against him and I would be more than delighted to have him tried and
      convicted for his alleged links to terrorism. But the charges have to
      be laid and the case against him must be made in a Canadian court,
      not an American one.

      Graham claims that the arrested Canadian does not wish to have
      Canadian consular help and goes on to say, "Of course, I'm taking
      their (America's) word for it."

      I am sorry, but many of us have had bitter experiences relying on
      America's word. Few people around the globe would bet a penny on our
      neighbour's word.

      Why not have a Canadian consular official visit Jabarah with his
      lawyer and find out first-hand what is happening to him behind closed

      Mr. Foreign Affairs Minister, be brave and acknowledge your
      diplomatic impotency, but please don't insult our intelligence by
      suggesting you are "fully satisfied."

      I know you are not.

      Tarek Fatah

      Graham `fully satisfied' with Jabarah case

      By Allan Thompson
      The Toronto Star

      OTTAWA — Mohamed Mansour Jabarah, the Canadian citizen being
      questioned in the U.S. for possible terrorism links, has a lawyer and
      does not want consular help from the Canadian government right now,
      Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham said yesterday.

      And Graham said he's "fully satisfied" that Jabarah's case was
      properly handled by Canada's spy agency, the Canadian Security
      Intelligence Service.

      "I'm now fully satisfied that he has proper legal counsel and that he
      went to the United States voluntarily," Graham said last night from

      Jabarah, 20, a Kuwait-born Canadian citizen, is suspected of links to
      Al Qaeda and a plot to bomb Israeli and U.S. embassies in Singapore.
      He is reportedly being questioned at a military base in Brooklyn.

      Graham saidOttawa had received a reply to a diplomatic note asking
      the U.S. state department to find out whether Jabarah wanted
      assistance from Canadian embassy staff in Washington, or from the
      consulate in New York.

      The reply noted Jabarah said he didn't need Canada's assistance right
      now, was satisfied with his U.S. lawyer, and had been able to contact
      his family.

      "Of course, I'm taking their word for it," Graham said.

      When Jabarah's case burst into the news last week, officials in the
      foreign affairs department seemed displeased CSIS would not help them
      make contact with Jabarah.

      Since then, civil libertarians and the Canadian Arab Federation have
      waded into the debate, demanding to know how Jabarah was whisked
      first from Oman to Canada, then into the U.S. for questioning by the
      FBI, without access to legal advice or any evidence of due process.

      CSIS apparently brought Jabarah to Canada from Oman in May, then
      persuaded him to voluntarily cross the border at Niagara Falls for
      further questioning by U.S. authorities.

      Jabarah's father, who has been allowed to speak with his son by
      phone, says his son told him he never had access to a lawyer in
      Canada, was misled by Canada's spy agency and only crossed the border
      willingly because he was told he would be questioned for "a few
      days," then return to his family in St. Catharines.