An Egyptian American wonders: "Was Obama pandering to Autocrats and Theocrats"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2009

      Dina Guirguis is the Executive Director of "Voices for a Democratic Egypt" who has written for the Washington Post among other periodicals.  In this piece, she expresses her mixed feelings about President Obama's speech.

      Read and reflect.

      Tarek Fatah
      An Egyptian American wonders:

      Was President Barack Obama

      pandering to Autocrats and Theocrats?

      May 5, 2009
      Dina Guirguis: “I am left ambivalent about Obama’s hands off approach with respect to those who would be “elected peacefully” as long as they treat their people with respect. Mubarak has been “elected peacefully” repeatedly for 28 years, and despite his utter lack of “respect” for good governance or the rule of law, he has largely enjoyed unequivocal U.S. support, and this support has clearly not shown any signs of weakening under the Obama administration.

      I fear that these words are cover for supporting Gamal [Mubarak’s son] should he become our next president in one of the Egyptian government’s notorious classic bait and switch moves made under the guise of “rule of law,” as our most recent constitutional amendments permit. “

      To read Dina Guirguis' response to President Obama's speech in Cairo, click here: http://www.AverroesPress.com