Farzana Hassan on Quran in the 21st century: “Today I speak as a sceptic”

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009

      On Sunday, May 31, the group 'Family of the Heart' organized a seminar in Toronto titled, "The relevance of the Quran in the 21st century." Among the speakers was author Farzana Hassan, former president of the Muslim Canadian Congress.

      Here is an excerpt from her speech:

      “Modern societies accord equal rights and dignity to all of their citizens, at least in principle, and strive not to discriminate on the basis of race, gender or religious affiliation. They do so without qualification, without preconditions and without threat of recrimination. Dare I say that societies proposed by the Quran on the other hand are hierarchical, differentiating between the rights of men and women, the rights of Muslims and non-Muslims, and the rights of the free and the captive?”

      To read her full speech, click the link below: