Muslim Canadian Congress condemns New Delhi Terrorists as 'Barbaric Cowards'

  • Tarek fatah
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005

      October 30, 2005

      Muslim Canadian Congress
      condemns New Delhi Terrorists

      Indians must not let bombers stall India-Pakistan peace
      http://www.MuslimCanadianCongress.Org

      TORONTO - The Muslim Canadian Congress has expressed dismay and sadness at the weekend terrorist attacks on civilians in New Delhi, in which 59 people died and hundreds were injured. In condemning the bombing, the MCC said "these were barbaric actions committed by individuals devoid of all humanity."

      In a letter to the Prime Minister of India, the MCC sent condolences to the victims of the tragedy and expressed solidarity with the people of India in their hour of sorrow.

      Keyvan Soltany, the MCC Director of South Asian Affairs, writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, said, "The cowards who chose to kill people on the eve of Diwali and Eid should not be allowed to succeed in their attempts to sow hatred between Hindus and Muslims of your great nation."

      In the letter, the MCC said it felt this act of terrorism was also an attempt to derail the progress being made between India and Pakistan over Kashmir. "We have confidence that your government will not succumb to the temptation of stalling peace talks. The best way to fight international terrorism and religious extremism is to continue steadfastly along the path of peace, reconciliation, pluralism and democracy," the MCC letter added.

      In the letter, the MCC urges the Indian Prime Minister to ensure the well being and protection of minorities in India.

      "As Canadian Muslims we admire the advances made in India in establishing a secular and democratic society. We are confident that Indians will rise to occasion and come out stronger as role models for the rest of the world. However, we are also cognisant of the presence in India of rightwing communalist forces that target minorities at every opportunity. We hope such sectarian forces will not be permitted to exploit this tragedy to sow division among India's Hindus and Muslims," the letter added.

      - 30 -