Jazz Pianists of the 1920-1940s

  • c_cassini
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Some of the jazz piano transcription work of pianists from the 1920-
      1940s which we are working on, is highlighting the very large
      handspans some pianist actually have. Oscar Peterson demonstrated on
      UK television how he could cross over the 1st and 2nd fingers of his
      left hand to produce a 'tenths' progression with total fluidity. To
      do so he had to have a reach of an 11th because he was playing major
      10ths. Both George Gershwin and (strangely George Shearing, both of
      whom knew the outstandingly talented Thomas Fats Waller, are on
      record as saying Waller could simultaneously play C below middle C
      and A above middle C with his left hand.

      We are working on two Waller piano solos using Transcribe! - both
      these pieces indicate to us that Waller took advantage of this
      incredible reach to occasionaly play 12ths in a walking bass line.
      The sounds we are hearing lead us to believe 1st, 2nd and 3rd
      harmonics are all being simultaneously played and Waller clearly
      could play octaves with his 1st and 4th fingers.

      Obviously, recordings from that era are less than perfect and hence
      the question to the group's 800+ membership; is anyone aware of
      pianists who actually have or did play intervals beyond a 10th span?

      Any guidance on this point would be much appreciated.

      Signed: Malcolm Steele (UK) & Clive Steele (Sweden)
    • Jim C
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        Are you sure he wasn't wearing finger extenders?

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/