Seventy Years Ago T O D A Y Benny Goodman Made Carnegie Hall Swing.

  • Louis Rugani
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2008

      From: Ron Smolen
      Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:02 AM
      Subject: Seventy Years Ago T O D A Y Benny Goodman Made Carnegie Hall Swing

      from a list I'm on.......

      Seventy years ago, on a bitterly cold January 16, 1938, Benny Goodman
      and his Orchestra brought swing music to the hallowed venue of
      Carnegie Hall in New York City. Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra
      introduced jazz to Carnegie Hall a decade earlier, but Goodman made
      the place swing! All that Goodman and his band had to do was play the
      music they loved so much, just as they had been doing around the
      country since the summer of 1935.

      You can read all about it and listen to it on our big band broadcast
      blog, The Palomar:

      http://thepalomar. blogspot. com/

      On the band's first number, 'Don't Be That Way,' listen for Gene
      Krupa's short solo! It broke the ice. The audience cheers as Gene
      finally lets loose, if only briefly!

      According to the liner notes by journalist Irving Kolodin to the
      two-record LP album I've had in my collection for some 50 years,
      Kolodin sums up the evening:

      'From then on, one climax piled on another. I remember the critic of
      the Times (who next day wrote, 'When Mr. Goodman entered, he received
      a real Toscanini send-off from the audience.') fretting because his
      teen-aged daughter beside him was bouncing in her seat and he felt
      nothing ... a spontaneous outburst from James when he took his first
      chorus ... ditto for Krupa ... a ripple of laughter when Krupa smashed
      a cymbal from place in a quartet number, and Hampton caught it deftly
      in the air, stroking it precisely in rhythm ... the coruscating
      sound-showers from Hampton's vibes that culminated the first half of
      the concert, and the reasonable doubt that anything afterwards could
      come close to matching it ... until the matchless Stacy resolved all
      that had preceded with his 'Sing, Sing, Sing' episode.'

      Seventy years ago!

      In the words of Frederick Lewis Allen, 'Only Yesterday.'

      George Spink
      Los Angeles

      Links:

      Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert
      http://thepalomar. blogspot. com/2008/ 01/famous- 1938-carnegie- hall-jazz- concert.html

      Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista� + Windows Live�. Start now!