Re: Hugo Winterhalter Centennial

  • cstrempler
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2009
      --- In MusicOfTheStars@yahoogroups.com, "mrcooby" <x779@...> wrote:

      > The Sound Of An Era : Hugo Winterhalter by JCMarion

      > Hugo Winterhalter was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania on August 15, 1909. After his college years at Mount St. Mary's, he developed his musical talents by attending the New England Conservatory of Music. During the nineteen thirties he had a number of different vocations within the music profession : he taught both in public institutions and privately, was a sideman in the reed section for territory bands in the Northeast, particularly that of Nye Mayhew long a fixture in the thirties at New York's Hotel Pennsylvania. In the late 1930s he was apart of the Larry Clinton Orchestra, and then with Jack Jenney where he was credited with the arrangement of Jenney's version of "Stardust", one of the greatest renditions of Hoagy Carmichael's classic. In the 1940s Winterhalter was an arranger for a variety of bands including those of Count Basie, Will Bradley, Vaughn Monroe, both of the Dorsey Brothers, Raymond Scott, and Claude Thornhill. By the late 1940s he began to work with vocalists such as Billy Eckstine at MGM Records, and Dinah Shore and Buddy Clark at Columbia. In 1950 went to RCA Victor Records (and was replaced at Columbia by Percy Faith) where he was chief arranger and conductor into the 1960s.

> [...]

      That was an excellent show on The Music Of The Stars. Who was the man that was reciting poems in the first hour, with the calm soothing voice. Beautiful words. I think there was music while he was talking. Great Music & I know this sunday you are going to have his music on again.

      Always a Romantic Show, & songs that I never heard of, but I enjoy them. Thank you Mr.Rugani for a Wonderful Sunday.