Nice tribute to Maurice Jarre.

  • Louis Rugani
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009

      From: Soundtrackers
      Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:58 AM
      To: Soundtrackers
      Subject: Soundtrack List, April 1, 2009--18

      To be removed from the Soundtrack List, send a blank message to soundtrackers@... with the word "remove" in the subject line.

      We invite you to send us your want lists. We can usually find most in-print titles for between $9 and $12. Older titles may also be available for comparably low prices. Additionally, we offer the free service of searching for records and CDs and will notify you when they have been located. Also, we are interested in purchasing your used soundtrack CDs...or selling them for you on a consignment basis. If you have a list of titles you're interested in trading in, drop us a line at soundtrackers@....

      MAURICE JARRE (1924-2009)

      If it weren't for Maurice Jarre, who died on Saturday, I would not be addressing you right now. For it was Jarre who kindled my love for film music, and without him there would never have been a small business called Soundtrackers.

      And just how did he influence me?

      For some long-ago birthday of mine, when I was still a preadolescent, my grandfather had purchased for me what was then the latest in stereo equipment: a bulky eight-track player along with two original cast recordings: "Cabaret" and "Mame." Since the format was brand-spanking new, everything about this musical experience had a sort of experimental aspect to it. And although not averse to Broadway, I knew that my real love was film, so not too long after my birthday, my mother took me to a record store and with much deliberation, we ended up purchasing a compilation of film music performed by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops.

      If memory serves me correctly, the very first track was Jarre's "Lawrence of Arabia," and it was love at first listen. The music was jaw-droppingly exciting and beautiful, and I remember calling my mother into my room and making her sit down and listen to it with me. I don't think she quite understood why I was so moved by the music, but she was canny enough to realize that something had been stirred deep within me, and subsequent birthday presents were often soundtracks.

      I hadn't seen David Lean's film at that time--nor could I, for this was in the days before home video, and I had been too young to see the film when it was first released in 1962. But Jarre's music conjured up images and expectations that perhaps no film could live up to, and indeed, when I finally did see the movie in a reissue, I was disappointed. Not in the music; never in his music. But in the film.

      Same with Jarre's score for "Doctor Zhivago." This was another instance in which I wasn't old enough to see the film when it was first released, but my parents had the soundtrack LP, which I listened to repeatedly. This must be one of the greatest films of all time, I thought to myself. When I finally caught up with the movie as a college student, I was overwhelmed by the music but merely "whelmed" by the film. (I should mention here that my attitude toward both Lean films has changed a bit in the intervening years.)

      And then there was "Is Paris Burning?" My brother and I started watching this on the late show one night during one of our summer vacations, and the film went on and on and on and on, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, because staying up late is what summer nights were for. Moreover, the film went on and on and on with two incredibly memorable Jarre themes, which he milked for all they were worth. And I might try to argue that one of the greatest meldings of music and image occurs at the very end, when the movie switches from black-and-white to color as an aerial camera soars over Paris and Jarre's "Liberation Waltz" swells in the background for the umpteenth time.

      When I heard the announcement of his death on a radio station on Monday, the news commentator referred to him as "Maurice Jarr�." At first I thought I would call up the station and give 'em a piece of my mind, but it triggered another memory from many years ago, when I myself was instructed in the correct way of pronouncing his last name.

      I suppose I thought it was "Jarr�" because of the omnipresence of John le Carr�'s books at the time (my father was a fan of his). For some reason, the two names became fused in my mind, and I was certain that the man whose music I so admired was "Jarr�." The correction came from an unusual source and under unusual circumstances:

      I was dating author Ray Bradbury's daughter right out of college, and the three of us were invited to a screening of "Lawrence of Arabia" at the house of producer Jennings Lang. (Actually, I think only Ray Bradbury was invited; Tina and I probably just tagged along.)

      I felt a bit like Nick Carroway in "The Great Gatsby," getting an inside look at how the very, very wealthy lived, with mansions instead of homes and private screening rooms instead of TV dens.

      In any case, at the end of the film, I turned to Ray Bradbury and said how much I liked "Jarr�'s" music.

      "It's pronounced 'Jarre,' " he said.

      Not seeing how I could possibly have been wrong for all those years, I asked, "Are you sure?" (Such is the certitude of youth.)

      Very politely he replied, "I'm sure."

      And so, I had the rare distinction of having one genius correct me about another. And in light of that, I realized I couldn't nearly make the same impression on the obituary reader on the radio.

      All this was a long way of saying that I've come a very far way with Maurice Jarre and that in no small way has he made me who I am today.

      DRAWING FOR A FREE CD

      This month's prize in the drawing for a free CD is an official Oscar promo of Hans Zimmer's score for "Frost/Nixon." To win you must do one of two things:

      1.         Write me back and admit that, like David Frost, you like to wear Italian shoes.

      2.         Write me back and say you want to enter the drawing (no purchase necessary).

      Option 2 is less interesting, but either way gets you a shot at the prize. I'll announce the winner in the opening section of next week's list.

      And in the interim, here's what's available this week.

      Take care,

      Gerry

      FOR SALE

      Titles in blue are appearing on the Soundtrack List for the first time.

      2 FAST 2 FURIOUS (various). Song-score CD for the 2003 film starring Paul Walker, Tyrese Gibson, Eva Mendes, Cole Hauser, and Ludacris. Selections include "Act a Fool" (Ludacris), "Represent" (Thick Daddy), "Slum" (I-20 featuring Shawnna and Tity Boi), "Pick Up the Phone" (Tyrese and Ludacris featuring R. Kelly), "Hands in the Air" (Ball), "Gettin' It" (Chingy), "Block Reincarnated" (Shawnna featuring Kardinal Offishall), "Pump It Up" (Joe Budden), "Hell Yeah" (Dead Prez), "Peel Off" (Jin), "We Ridin' " (Fat Joe), "Rollin' on 20's" (Lil' Flip), "F*** What a Ni**a Say�" (Dirtbag), "Oye" (Pit Bull), and "Miami" (K'Jon). $1

      4 DOLLARI DI VENDETTA (FOUR DOLLARS FOR VENGEANCE) (Benedetto Ghiglia). Import limited-edition release (only 500 copies) of the score for the 1966 film starring Robert Woods, Dana Ghia, and Angelo Infanti. Sealed. $24

      28 WEEKS LATER (John Murphy). CD-R release of the score for the 2007 film starring Robert Carlyle, Rose Byrne, Jeremy Renner, Amander Walker, and Shahid Ahmed, with 20 tracks and a playing time of 50:41. $22

      84 CHARING CROSS ROAD (George Fenton). Varese Sarabande CD Club limited-edition release (only 1000 copies) of the score for the 1987 film starring Anne Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins, and Judi Dench. Sealed. $25

      99.9 (Javier Navarrete). CD-R release of the score for the 1997 film starring Maria Barranco, Terele Pavez, Ruth Gabriel, and Angel de Andres Lopez, with seven tracks and a playing time of 47:25. $22

      101 DALMATIANS IN STORY AND SONGS (various). CD issued in 1991 in Japan featuring the story and songs (in English) for the Walt Disney 1961 animated feature. $9

      187 (various). Soundtrack CD for the 1997 film starring Samuel L Jackson, John Heard, Kelly Rowan, and Clifton Gonzalez Gonzalez. The disc features the following performers and songs: Galliano ("Black Hands"), Massive Attack ("Spying Glass"), Method Man ("Release Yo Delf"), DJ Shadow ("Stem"), Everything But the Girl ("Flipside"), Massive Attack ("Karmacoma"), David Darling ("In November"), Bang Bang ("Neither Sing Sing Nor Baden Baden"), God Within ("Raincry"), Madredeus ("Pregao"), V-Love ("The Wilderness"), and Jalal ("Mankind [Part II]"). $10

      ADVENTURES IN HOLLYWOOD (various). Compilation CD featuring "We'll Be Back" from "Silverado" (Bruce Broughton), 15 tracks from "Wichita Town" (Hans J. Salter), "A President's Country," incorporating themes from "Red River," "The Alamo," "Duel in the Sun," "High Noon," "Giant," and "Rawhide" (Dimitri Tiomkin), and "Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N." (Robert Farnon). Sealed. $9

      THE ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY, JR. (Randy Edelman and Stephen Graziano) and CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION (John M. Keane). CD-R release with 12 tracks from "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr." (playing time: 11:52) and 16 tracks from "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (playing time: 52:24). $22

      THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE (various). Song-score CD for the 1990 Andrew Dice Clay film. The disc features the following performers and songs: Billy Idol ("Cradle of Love"), Dion ("Sea Cruise"), Sheila E. ("Funky Attitude"), Teddy Pendergrass and Lisa Fisher ("Glad to Be Alive"), Tone Loc ("Can't Get Enough"), Motley Crue ("Rock 'N' Roll Junkie"), Andrew Dice Clay ("I Ain't Got You"), Queensryche ("Last Time in Paris"), Yello ("Unbelievable" [Theme From "Ford Fairlane"], and Richie Sambora ("The Wind Cries Mary"). $2

      AEGIS (Trevor Jones). Japanese import in which the London Symphony Orchestra performs Jones's score for the 2005 film starring Hiroyuki Sanada and Akira Terao. Sealed. $29

      AGE OF CONAN: HYBORIAN ADVENTURES (Knut Avenstroup Haugen). Two-CD set of the score for the video game. $3

      ALIEN FURY: COUNTDOWN TO INVASION (Dennis McCarthy and John Beal). CD-R release of the score for the 2000 television film starring Dale Midkiff, Stephen Tobolowsky, Kelly Perine, and Grace Phillips, with 33 tracks and a playing time of 63:11. $22

      THE ALIEN TRILOGY (various). Cliff Eidelman conducts the Royal Scottish National Orchestra in seven tracks from "Alien" (Jerry Goldsmith), three tracks from "Aliens" (James Horner), and three tracks from "Alien 3" (Elliot Goldenthal). $5

      ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS (John Murphy). CD-R release of the score for the 2002 film starring Ice Cube, Mike Epps, Tommy Flanagan, and Carmen Chaplin, with 53 tracks and a playing time of 56:16. $22

      ALL THE PRETTY HORSES (Marty Stuart, Kristin Wilkinson, and Larry Paxton). Promo soundtrack CD for the 2000 film starring Matt Damon, Henry Thomas, and Angelina Torres. The disc includes a track titled "El Buxbombed" that does not appear to be on the commercially released CD. There are no front inserts. $9

      AMAZING STORIES (various). Joel McNeely and John Debney conduct the Royal Scottish National Orchestra in rerecordings of music from the television series: "Main Title" (John Williams), "The Mission" (John Williams), "Dorothy and Ben" (Georges Delerue), and "End Title" (John Williams). $9

      AMAZING STORIES, ANTHOLOGY ONE (various). Two-CD limited-edition set from Intrada (only 3000 copies) featuring the scores from several episodes of the Steven Spielberg-produced television series. Selections include "Main Title" (John Williams), "Ghost Train" (John Williams), "Alamo Jobe" (James Horner), "Gather Ye Acorns" (Bruce Broughton), "The Doll" (Georges Delerue), "The Amazing Falsworth" (Billy Goldenberg), "Moving Day" (David Shire), "Without Diana" (Georges Delerue), "Mummy, Daddy" (Danny Elfman and Steve Bartek), "Vanessa in the Garden" (Lennie Niehaus), "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Bruce Broughton), and "End Credits" (John Williams). Sealed. $29

      AMAZING STORIES, ANTHOLOGY TWO (various). Two-CD limited-edition set from Intrada (only 3000 copies) featuring selections from the scores of the Steven Spielberg-produced television series. Composers represented are John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Billy Goldenberg, Georges Delerue, Craig Safan, David Newman, Bruce Broughton, David Shire, Johnny Mandel, Arthur B. Rubinstein, John Addison, and Leonard Rosenman. Sealed. $29

      AMAZING STORIES, ANTHOLOGY THREE (various). Two-CD limited-edition set from Intrada (only 3000 copies) featuring selections from the scores of the Steven Spielberg-produced television series. Composers represented are John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Craig Safan, Michael Kamen, Bruce Broughton, Billy Goldenberg, Fred Steiner, John Addison, and Pat Metheny. Sealed. $29

      AMERICAN GRAFFITI (various). CD, shaped like a waitress, featuring four selections from the soundtrack of the 1973 film starring Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Paul Le Mat, Charles Martin Smith, Cindy Williams, Candy Clark, Mackenzie Phillips, and Harrison Ford. Tracks are "Rock Around the Clock" (the Comets), "Maybe Baby" (Buddy Holly), "Little Darlin' " (the Diamonds), and "Johnny B. Goode" (Chuck Berry). The disc was issued without inserts. $9

      AMERICAN PSYCHO (John Cale). CD-R release of the score for the 2000 film starring Christian Bale, Justin Theroux, Josh Lucas, Bill Sage, Chloe Sevigny, Reese Witherspoon, Samantha Mathis, Jared Leto, and Willem Dafoe, with 24 tracks and a playing time of 28:19. $22

      AMERIKA (Basil Poledouris). Numbered limited-edition release from Prometheus of the score for the 1987 miniseries starring Kris Kristofferson and Sam Neill. Sealed. $24

      ANASTASIA (Alfred Newman). CD-R release of the expanded score for the 1956 film starring Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner, and Helen Hayes, with the correct movie finale, alternate versions of the marches and some score cues, and the music in the correct film sequence. The disc has 19 tracks and a playing time of 55:00. $22

      APRIL LOVE (Sammy Fain, Alfred Newman, and Cyril J. Mockridge) and TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR (Frank Skinner). Import pressed CD featuring the songs and score for the 1957 film "April Love" starring Pat Boone, Shirley Jones, Dolores Michaels, and Arthur O'Connell (16 tracks) and the songs and score for the 1957 film "Tammy and the Bachelor" starring Debbie Reynolds, Walter Brennan, and Leslie Nilesen (seven tracks) plus four bonus vocal tracks performed by Debbie Reynolds. $25

      THE ARTIST AND THE SHAMAN (Janine Cooper, Joanna Malanos, Rahelio, and Timothy Guy). Song-score CD for the 2002 film directed by Paul Davids. The disc has 16 tracks and a playing time of 53:43. $6

      ASSASSINATION TANGO (various). Soundtrack CD for the 2002 film starring Robert Duvall, Ruben Blades, and Kathy Baker, with four tracks of score by Luis Bacalov plus many tangos. $4

      AU LOUVRE: LE PLUS GRAND MUSEE DU MONDE (Ennio Morricone). Japanese import. Sealed. $34

      AUGUST RUSH (Mark Mancina). CD-R release of the expanded score for the 2007 film starring Freddie Highmore, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Terrence Howard, Robin Williams, William Sadler, Marian Seldes, and Mykelti Williamson, with 25 tracks and a playing time of 72:00. $22

      AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER (George S. Clinton). CD-R release of the score for the 2002 film starring Mike Myers, Beyonce Knowles, Seth Green, Michael York, Robert Wagner, and Michael Caine, with 18 tracks and a playing time of 37:28. $22

      BABES IN TOYLAND (Victor Herbert and George Bruns). CD-R release of the soundtrack for the 1961 Disney musical starring Ray Bolger, Tommy Sands, and Annette Funicello, with 16 tracks and a playing time of 44:14. $22

      BANDWAGON (various). Song-score CD for the 1996 film starring Kevin Corrigan, Steve Parlavecchio, Lee Holmes, Matthew Hennessey, Doug MacMillan, Doug McCallie, and Steph Robinson. Selections include "So Long (Ann)" (Circus Monkey), "It Couldn't Be Ann" (Circus Monkey), " 'Til the End of Time" (Incinerator), "Kick the Can" (Poundcake), "Wynn & Linus Go Fishing" (Greg Kendall), "Get the Net" (Greg Kendall), "Wheat Penny" (Tackle Box), "Rest of the World" (Circus Monkey), ""Nashville Diner" (Greg Kendall), "Mudda Mudda Faddah" (Spittle), "What You Hide" (Judy Judy Judy), "Living in France (Under an Assumed Name)" (the Fliptones), "Lampshade" (Incinerator), "Open the Door" (manCHILD), "Don't Put Her Down" (Tackle Box), "Spin U Round" (Incinerator), "Ann It Goes" (Circus Monkey), and "A Suitable Ending" (Greg Kendall). $2

      THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY (Harry Warren and Ira Gershwin). CD-R release of the soundtrack (in monaural) for the 1949 film starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, with 15 tracks and a playing time of 60:07. $22

      BASEBALL'S MEMORABLE MOMENTS and DOUG'S 1st MOVIE and DISNEY'S NEW TRUE LIFE ADVENTURES--ALASKA: DANCES OF THE CARIBOU (Mark Watters). CD-R release of the scores for "Baseball's Memorable Moments" (seven tracks, with a playing time of 12:46), the 1999 animated feature "Doug's 1st Movie" (11 tracks, with a playing time of 18:32), and the documentary "Disney's New True Life Adventures--Alaska: Dances of the Caribou" (12 tracks, with a playing time of 16:03). $22

      BASEMENT JACK (Alan Howarth). CD-R release of the score for the 2008 film starring Eric Peter-Kaiser, Michele Morrow, Sam Skoryna, and Lynn Lowry, with 15 tracks and a playing time of 71:18. $22

      BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM: LIMITED EDITION (Shirley Walker). Limited-edition release from La-La Land Records (only 3000 copies) of the score (expanded over the previous commercial release by more than 27 minutes) for the 1993 animated feature. Sealed. $19

      BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES (Shirley Walker, Michael McCuistion, and Carlos Rodriguez). CD-R release featuring the main title for the series as well as suites from the episodes "I Am the Night," "Demons Quest, Part 1," "Feat of Clay, Part 2," "The Laughing Fish," and "Day of the Samurai," with six tracks and a playing time of 49:53. (Music from none of these episodes appears on the commercially released CD set.) $22

      BATMAN FOREVER (various). Song-score CD for the 1995 film starring Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Nicole Kidman, and Chris O'Donnell. Selections include "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" (U2), "One Time Too Many" (PJ Harvey), "Where Are You Now?" (Brandy), "Kiss From a Rose" (Seal), "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" (Massive Attack with Tracey Thorn), "Nobody Lives Without Love" (Eddi Reader), "Tell Me Now" (Mazzy Star), "Smash It Up" (the Offspring), "There Is a Light" (Nick Cave), "The Riddler" (Method Man), "The Passenger" (Michael Hutchence), "Crossing the River" (the Devlins), "8" (Sunny Day Real Estate), and "Bad Days" (the Flaming Lips). $1

      BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (James Horner). Two-CD-R set of the recording sessions for the 1980 film starring Richard Thomas, Robert Vaughn, John Saxon, George Peppard, Darlanne Fluegel, Sybil Danning, and Sam Jaffe. Since the unreleased music was sourced from pre-mix masters, that music is in mono (and of average to good sound quality). There is also some light hiss noticeable. Disc 1 has 33 tracks and a playing time of 54:36; disc 2 has 34 tracks and a playing time of 69:49. $30

      BATTLE IN THE DESERT (Bruno Nicolai) and THE BIGGEST BATTLE (Franco Micalizzi). CD-R release of the scores for the 1969 film "Battle in the Desert" starring Robert Hossein, George Hilton, Frank Wolff, and Rik Battagalia and for the 1978 film "The Biggest Battle" starring Helmut Berger, Samantha Eggar, Giuliano Gemma, John Huston, Stacy Keach, and Henry Fonda The disc has 36 tracks and a total playing time of 63:00. $22

      BATTLE OF THE BULGE (Benjamin Frankel). CD-R release of the original score tracks (Frankel conducts the New Philharmonia Orchestra) for the 1965 film starring Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw, Robert Ryan, Dana Andrews, George Montgomery, Ty Hardin, Pier Angeli, Charles Bronson, James MacArthur, and Telly Savalas. $22

      BATTLEFORGE (Dynamedion). CD-R release of the score for the video game, with 21 tracks and a playing time of 47:55. $22

      BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Richard Gibbs). Score CD for the Sci-Fi channel miniseries starring Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell. Sealed. $9

      BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON ONE (Bear McCreary). Soundtrack CD issued by La-La Land Records, featuring the score for the Sci Fi Channel series starring Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, James Callis, Tricia Helfer, and Katee Sackhoff. Sealed. $14

      BEDTIME STORIES (Rupert Gregson-Williams). CD-R release of the score for the 2008 film starring Adam Sandler and Keri Russell, with 14 tracks and a playing time of 35:00 $22

      BEHIND THE SUN (Antonio Pinto). Official Oscar promo CD-R of the commercially unreleased score for the 2001 Brazilian film, with 11 tracks and a playing time of 32:42. $9

      THE BELLE OF NEW YORK (Harry Warren). CD-R release of the expanded soundtrack for the 1952 musical starring Fred Astaire, Vera-Ellen, and Marjorie Main, with 16 tracks and a playing time of 63:13. The disc includes music from the film's soundtrack as well as album recordings. $22

      THE BEST OF HEMDALE (various). Compilation CD featuring original motion picture soundtrack recordings from 11 of the studio's films: "At Close Range" (Patrick Leonard), which starred Sean Penn, Christopher Walken, and Marty Stuart Masterson; "River's Edge" (Jurgen Knieper), which starred Dennis Hopper, Crispin Glover, Keanu Reeves, and Ione Skye; "Criminal Law" (Jerry Goldsmith), which starred Gary Oldman, Kevin Bacon, Tess Harper, and Joe Don Baker; "Platoon" (Georges Delerue), which starred Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, and Tom Berenger; "Terminator" (Brad Fiedel), which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton; "The Last Emperor" (Ryuichi Sakamoto), which starred John Lone, Peter O'Toole, and Joan Chen; "Best Seller" (Jay Ferguson), which starred James Woods and Brian Dennehy; "Hoosiers" (Jerry Goldsmith), which starred Gene Hackman, Dennis Hopper, and Barbara Hershey; "Salvador" (Georges Delerue), which starred James Woods, Jim Belushi, John Savage, and Michael Murphy; "The Boost" (Stanley Myers), which starred James Woods and Sean Young; and "Miracle Mile" (Tangerine Dream), which starred Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham. Also on the CD is the "Hemdale Fanfare." $8

      THE BEST OF LONE WOLF AND CUB (Hideakira Sakurai and Kunihiko Murai). Compilation CD of original soundtrack recordings from the '70s Japanese samurai film series "Lone Wolf and Cub" (also known as "The Baby Cart Series"). The disc has 25 tracks and a playing time of 49:16. Sealed. $7

      BIG WEDNESDAY (Basil Poledouris). Film Score Monthly limited-edition CD (only 3000 copies) of the score for the 1978 film starring Jan-Michael Vincent, William Katt, and Gary Busey. Sealed. $19

      THE BIONIC WOMAN: EPISODIC COLLECTION, VOLUME 3 (Joe Harnell). Limited-edition release (only 1500 copies) featuring the scores for two episodes of the '70s television series starring Lindsay Wagner: "Doomsday Is Tomorrow, Part II" and "The Martians Are Coming, the Martians Are Coming." Sealed. $19

      BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ (Elmer Bernstein). Varese Sarabande CD Club limited-edition release (only 3000 copies) of the score for the 1962 film starring Burt Lancaster, Karl Malden, Thelma Ritter, Neville Brand, Betty Field, Telly Savalas, and Edmond O'Brien. Sealed. $21

      BLACK SCORPION (David G. Russell and Kevin Kiner). Score CD for both the television series starring Michelle Lintel, Scott Valentine, BT, and Enya Flack and the 1995 television movie starring Joan Severance and Enya Flack. Sealed. $1

      THE BLACK SWAN (Alfred Newman). Screen Archives release of the Oscar-nominated score for the 1942 film starring Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara, with 23 tracks and a playing time of 68:25. Sealed. $20

      BLADE RUNNER (Vangelis). Two-CD-R set of the score for the 1982 film starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, M. Emmet Walsh, and Daryl Hannah. Disc 1 has 13 tracks and a playing time of 49:47; disc 2 has 13 tracks and a playing time of 52:31. $30

      BLESS THE CHILD (Christopher Young). Score CD for the 2000 film starring Kim Basinger, Jimmy Smits, Holliston Coleman, and Rufus Sewell. Sealed. $7

      BLONDE (Patrick Williams). Japanese import CD featuring the soundtrack for the 2001 television movie about Marilyn Monroe starring Poppy Montgomery, Patricia Richardson, Patrick Dempsey, Wallace Shawn, Griffin Dunne, Titus Welliver, and Eric Bogosian. Sealed. $29

      THE BLUE BIRD (Alfred Newman). Score CD for the 1940 film starring Shirley Temple, Spring Byington, Nigel Bruce, and Gale Sondergaard. (The disc also includes the song "Lay-De-O," performed by Temple.) Sealed. $20

      BODY HEAT and JAGGED EDGE (John Barry). CD-R release of the scores for the 1981 film "Body Heat" starring William Hurt, Kathleen Turner, and Richard Crenna (12 tracks) and the 1985 film "Jagged Edge" starring Glenn Close and Jeff Bridges (13 tracks). $22

      BOGUS (Marc Shaiman). Two-CD-R set of the score for the 1996 film starring Whoopi Goldberg, Gerard Depardieu, Haley Joel Osment, and Andrea Martin. Disc 1 has 33 tracks and a playing time of 42:29; disc 2 has 31 tracks and a playing time of 40:15. $30

      BONJOUR TRISTESSE (Georges Auric). CD-R release of the score (in monaural) for the 1958 film starring Deborah Kerr, David Niven, and Jean Seberg, with 12 tracks and a playing time of 38:49. $22

      BOOGEYMAN (Joseph LoDuca). Limited-edition release from La-La Land Records (only 1500 copies) of the score for the 2005 film starring Barry Watson, Emily Deschanel, Skye McCole Bartusiak, and Lucy Lawless. Sealed. $19

      BORN FREE (John Barry). Film Score Monthly CD featuring the original tracks of the Oscar-winning score for the 1966 film starring Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers. Sealed. $16

      THE BORROWERS (Rod McKuen). CD-R release of the score for the 1973 television movie starring Eddie Albert, Tammy Grimes, Judith Anderson, Beatrice Straight, and Barnard Hughes, with 13 tracks and a playing time of 35:00. $22

      BOX OF MOONLIGHT (Jim Farmer). Soundtrack CD for the 1996 film starring John Turturro, Sam Rockwell, and Catherine Keener. The disc features the following performers and songs: Wall of Voodoo ("Mexican Radio"), Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds ("Red Right Hand"), Elmore James ("Blues Before Sunrise"), Chaser ("Big Black Sky"), the Champs ("Too Much Tequila"), the Fireballs ("Carioca"), the Chantays ("Wayward Nile"), the Chrome Cranks ("Lost Time Blues"), Die Haut ("Wheels Over Me"), and Tom DiCillo ("Gun Control"). Also included on the CD are three tracks of score by Jim Farmer. $21

      THE BOY WHO COULD FLY (Bruce Broughton). CD-R release of the complete score for the 1986 film starring Lucy Deakins, Jay Underwood, Bonnie Bedelia, Fred Savage, Colleen Dewhurst, and Fred Gwynne, with 18 tracks and a playing time of 75:43. $22

      BRIAN'S SONG: THEMES AND VARIATION (Michel Legrand). Japanese import CD featuring variations on the music for the 1971 television movie starring James Caan, Billy Dee Williams, Jack Warden, Bernie Casey, Shelley Fabares, and David Huddleston. Sealed. $27

      BRICK (Nathan Johnson). Score CD for the 2005 film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lukas Haas, Nora Zehetner, and Noah Segan. $10

      BROTHERHOOD (Jeff Rona). CD-R release of the score for the television series starring Kevin Chapman, Jason Isaacs, Jason Clarke, Annabeth Gish, and Fiona C. Erickson, with 17 tracks and a playing time of 21:16. $22

      BRUNO NICOLAI: THE SPY MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS COLLECTION (Bruno Nicolai). Japanese import CD featuring selections from "Upperseven," "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," and "Agente Speciale LK Operazione Re Mida." Sealed. $35

      A BULLET FOR PRETTY BOY (Harley Hatcher). CD-R release of the score for the 1970 film starring Fabian, Jocelyn Lane, Astrid Warner, Adam Roarke, and Camilla Carr, with 11 tracks and a playing time of 23:25. $22

      BUNNY O'HARE (Billy Strange). CD-R release of the score for the 1971 film starring Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine, and Jack Cassidy, with 15 tracks and a playing time of 30:10. $22

      THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT (Michael Suby). Out-of-print score CD for the 2004 film starring Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart. Sealed. $8

      BY LOVE POSSESSED (Elmer Bernstein). Varese Sarabande CD Club limited-edition release (only 1500 copies and now out-of-print) of the score for the 1961 film starring Lana Turner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Jason Robards, George Hamilton, Susan Kohner, Thomas Mitchell, Everett Sloane, and Yvonne Craig Sealed. $22

      CAPTAIN KRONOS--VAMPIRE HUNTER (Laurie Johnson). Limited-edition release from Buysoundtrax (only 2000 copies) of the score for the 1974 film starring Horst Janson, John Carson, Shane Briant, and Caroline Munro. Sealed. $19

      THE CARETAKERS: THE DELUXE EDITION and THE YOUNG DOCTORS (Elmer Bernstein). Varese Sarabande CD Club limited-edition release (only 1500 copies and now out-of-print) featuring the scores for the 1963 film "The Caretakers" starring Robert Stack, Polly Bergen, Diane McBain, Joan Crawford, Janis Paige, and Van Williams (25 tracks) and the 1961 film "The Young Doctors" starring Fredric March, Ben Gazzara, Dick Clark, Ina Balin, Eddie Albert, and Aline MacMahon (21 tracks). Sealed. $21

      CARMEN (Jose Nieto). Import score CD for the 2003 film starring Paz Vega, Leonardo Sbaraglia, Antonio Dechent, and Joan Crosas. $22

      CARNIVALE (Stephen McKeon). CD-R release of the score for the 2000 animated feature, with 22 tracks and a playing time of 56:27. $22

      CAT PEOPLE: CLASSIC MUSIC FOR THE VAL LEWTON FILMS (Roy Webb). William T. Stromberg conducts the Slovak Radio Symphony in rerecordings of music from "Cat People," "Bedlam," "The Seventh Victim," "The Body Snatcher," and "I Walked With a Zombie." $10

      CELLULAR (John Ottman). Score CD for the 2004 film starring Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, Jason Statham, and William H. Macy. Sealed. $9

      CELOS (Jose Nieto). Import score CD for the 1999 film starring Aitana Sanchez-Gijon, Daniel Gimenez Cacho, Maria Botto, and Luis Tosar. $22

      CHAMPIONS: A TRUE STORY (Carl Davis). CD-R release of the remastered score for the 1984 film starring John Hurt, Ben Johnson, and Kirstie Alley, with 16 tracks and a playing time of 47:00. $22

      CHARLOTTE'S WEB II (Michael Tavera). CD-R release of the score for the 2003 animated feature, with 35 tracks and a playing time of 54:08. $22

      CHERRY 2000 and FLESH + BLOOD (Basil Poledouris). Limited-edition gold disc (only 500 individually numbered copies) featuring 22 tracks from the 1987 film "Cherry 2000" starring Melanie Griffith and David Andrews and 11 tracks from the 1985 film "Flesh + Blood" starring Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh. $32

      CHICAGO JOE AND THE SHOWGIRL (Hans Zimmer). CD-R release of the score for

      the 1990 film starring Emily Lloyd, Kiefer Sutherland, and Patsy Kensit, with 28 tracks and a playing time of 50:46. $22

      THE CHRISTMAS MIRACLE OF JONATHAN TOOMEY (Guy Farley). Limited-edition release (only 500 copies) of the score for the 2007 film starring Tom Berenger and Joely Richardson. Sealed. $17

      THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE (Harry Gregson-Williams). Two-CD-R set of the score for the 2005 film starring Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell, Tilda Swinton, and Jim Broadbent. Disc 1 has 22 tracks and a playing time of 51:25; disc 2 has 16 tracks and a playing time of 47:27. $30

      CIMARRON (Franz Waxman). Film Score Monthly limited-edition CD (only 3000 copies) of the score for the 1960 film starring Glenn Ford, Maria Schell, Anne Baxter, Arthur O'Connell, Russ Tamblyn, and Mercedes McCambridge. Sealed. $19

      CINERAMA HOLIDAY (Morton Gould). CD-R release of the score for the 1955 documentary, with 15 tracks and a playing time of 42:04. $22

      CITIZEN VERDICT (Guy Farley). CD-R release of the score for the 2003 film starring Armand Assante, Jerry Springer, and Roy Scheider, with 33 tracks and a playing time of 45:42. $17

      CLEOPATRA (Trevor Jones). Score CD for the 1999 television movie starring Billy Zane, Timothy Dalton, Rupert Graves, and Leonor Varela. Sealed. $32

      CLOSE TO MY HEART (Max Steiner). CD-R release of the score (from acetates) for the 1951 film starring Ray Milland, Gene Tierney, and Fay Bainter, with nine tracks and a playing time of 45:00. $22

      COLD MOUNTAIN (Gabriel Yared). CD-R release of the Oscar-nominated score for the 2003 film starring Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, and Renee Zellweger, with 13 tracks and a playing time of 40:25. $22

      COMMANDER IN CHIEF (Larry Groupe). CD-R release of the score for the television series starring Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland, with 20 tracks and a playing time of 36:02. $22

      CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Basil Poledouris). Two-CD-R set of the complete score for the 1982 film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Earl Jones, Max von Sydow, and Sandahl Bergman. Disc 1 has 15 tracks and a playing time of 45:17; disc 2 has 15 tracks and a playing time of 54:33. $30

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)