233The last Freshman: Ross Barbour

  • LouRugani
    Aug 24, 2011
      SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - Ross Barbour, who was the last original member of the influential 1950s harmonizing group the Four Freshmen, has died in Southern California at 82.

      The current group's manager, Dina Roth, tells the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/nUhR3D ) that Barbour had lung cancer and died Saturday at his Ventura County home in Simi Valley.

      Barbour's death comes three months after the death of another founding member, his cousin, Bob Flanigan. The two other founding members were Barbour's brother, Don Barbour, and Hal Kratzsch.

      The Grammy-winning Four Freshmen's hits include "Graduation Day," ''It's a Blue World," ''Mood Indigo," ''Day by Day," ''It Happened Once Before" and "How Can I Tell Her?"

      The group underwent many personnel changes over the years, with Ross Barbour retiring from it in 1977.

      Guest Book for Ross Barbour.

      "My condolences to all of the families of the "Four Freshmen". I will never forget sitting in 'STORYVILLE' at the Copley Square Hotel in the mid to late '50's enjoying their show. I always had a great table. My landlady was a waitress there and..."

      James Towslee (Pownal, VT) "FRIDAY NIGHT SCHOOL DANCES TO THEIR MUSIC. THOSE WERE THE DAYS. MANY THANKS ROSS AND THE FRESHMEN. REST IN PEACE." (LONG BEACH, CA)
      "My condolences to the Barbour family. May the words found at Job14:13-15 bring you comfort."

      Beth (GA)
      "Condolences to the "Freshmen Family." High school was a wonderful time dancing to all their music. The standards now are not the same and no group measures up to the Four Freshman!!!!! Harmonize in Heaven!!!!!

      Anne (Tinley Park)" "They absolutely set the standard. I used to drive 200 to 300 miles each way to see them and have every album, cd they did. Know every arrangement by heart and once was asked to type a termpaper re: who sang the bridge in Show Me the Way to Go..." Nona Long (Quincy, IL)

      We'll have a tribute to Ross on Sunday's Music of the Stars.