- Issue #39 - July 8th, 2002

  • Midnight Rain Productions
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2002
      Music Biz Academy Digest - Issue #39 - July 8th, 2002
      An update from http://www.musicbizacademy.com.

      This is a subscriber only newsletter. If for any reason you wish
      to unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply email
      MusicBizAcademy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      THE MUSIC BIZ ACADEMY
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com

      The Musician's Online Directory:
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/directory

      The Academy (Articles and Tips)
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles

      The Bookstore
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore

      Welcome, subscribers to the July 8th edition of the Music Biz
      Academy Digest!

      IN CASE YOU MISSED IT....
      In the last two weeks we've seen a major offensive launched by
      the recording industry against song-swapping and file-sharing
      services. The most interesting development is the recent report
      that major record labels are uploading thousands of 'fake'
      versions of popular songs onto popular file-swapping services
      like Morpheus and KaZaA. The goal, of course, is to pollute the
      file-swapping services to such an extent that frustrated users
      find them useless and return to the stores to purchase music.
      From the major label perspective, this 'spoofing', as it's
      commonly called, is a simple, legal, short-term solution to its
      pesky digital music file-sharing problem.

      Morpheus, the Internet's most popular file-swapping service, is
      not standing still, however. According to sources, Morpheus is
      planning to include a new rating system to make it easier to
      identify fake files in its next release. This would enable
      network users to quickly discern fake song files from real ones.

      On another battle front, the RIAA, which represents the big five
      record labels, is considering a new approach to controlling
      individual file-swappers: suing them directly. These proposed
      lawsuits would target those individuals who collect and upload
      the largest share of music. According to a recent study, 10
      percent of file-swappers provide 90 percent of the content
      available through networks such as KaZaA and Morpheus. The RIAA's
      proposed legal action would focus on that 10%. News of the
      proposed lawsuits against individuals was leaked to the Wall
      Street Journal by the RIAA last Wednesday, perhaps as a 'warning'
      to swappers.

      All of this really goes to show just how desperate the recording
      industry has become. Sales are down, and online song-trading has
      become the scapegoat. The RIAA has been careful to state that
      they have not YET taken the road of suing individuals, but the
      story has certainly got people talking. Some nervous record
      executives are already distancing themselves from the story.

      Of course, the RIAA is already going after large corporations
      that allow file-swapping among employees. In April, the RIAA
      settled with an Arizona company that let employees trade MP3
      files over an internal network. The case was settled for $1
      million. More companies will be facing similar charges, according
      to the RIAA.

      On yet another battle front, Listen.com's 'Rhapsody' digital
      music service has become the first to license music from ALL FIVE
      of the major music labels. That means that unlike its competitors
      MusicNet and PressPlay, Listen.com can claim a complete music
      catalog. This gives Listen.com a definite edge in it's pursuit to
      dominate the online music subscription market. The question is,
      can Listen.com keep that edge? In terms of both content and
      service, Listen.com is, in this reviewers mind, far superior to
      it's competitors. However, neither MusicNet or PressPlay appear
      to be going anywhere soon. Perhaps the heat of increased
      competition will work to the benefit of consumers.

      In other news, and I just have to report this because it is so
      asinine, a music publisher is claiming copyright infringement
      against a composer who included a one-minute 'silent track' on
      his album. Yes, believe it or not, the publisher claims they own
      the royalties to the 'silence'. So all of you with those really
      long pauses between song tracks on your CDs, watch out. For more
      info on this really strange story, see the link below.

      More information on these happenings at...

      MUSIC LABELS PLANT ONLINE DECOYS
      http://shorl.com/jevifrusograbra

      RECORD INDUSTRY 'SPOOFS' NET PIRATES
      http://shorl.com/guvostogrukasto

      THE RECORD LABELS' NEW TARGET--JOE BLOW?
      http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-941590.html

      FILE-TRADING FUROR HEAT'S UP
      http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,53662,00.html

      COMPANIES CRACK DOWN ON MP3s
      http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-939797.html

      LISTEN.COM
      http://www.listen.com

      MUSIC PUBLISHER CLAIMS COPYRIGHT ON SILENCE
      http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/silencea020702

      ---

      In other news, I just released the new Summer 2002 edition of my
      book 'How to Promote Your Music Successfully on the Internet'.
      Those of you who purchased the first 2002 edition should have
      received information on your free PDF update via email already.
      If you have not, let me know.

      For those of you relatively new to this list, the book covers all
      of the strategies I myself have used to promote my music and
      online music business via the Internet. I'm now doing online
      music full-time, having quit my day job. The book covers just
      about everything you would want to know about promoting music
      online, including the technical side of things. All in a simple,
      easy-to-read fashion.

      More information on the new edition of the book at
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/htpromotemusic.htm

      For testimonials from happy readers, see
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/htptestimonials.htm

      David Nevue
      Editor, The Music Biz Academy
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/internet/index.htm
      http://www.mp3.com/davidnevue

      THE INDIE MUSICIAN'S PDF POWER PACK!
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/index.htm
      Get three of our best-selling books for one low price! Set
      includes 'How to Promote Your Music Successfully on the
      Internet', 'The Indie Bible' and 'Music is Your Business' - All
      for only $49.95 emailed to your inbox!

      Latest Additions To The Academy
      http://musicbizacademy.com/articles/

      A MUSIC BUSINESS REVOLUTION
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/knab/articles/mbizrevolution.htm
      The evolution of the music business over the last hundred years
      or so has been filled with innovation, exploitation, and
      opportunities for everyone who had an investment in music.
      Songwriters, musicians, recording studios, producers, record
      labels, radio broadcasters, distributors, and retailers, as well
      as live performance venues and music publicists, have all
      struggled to find a way to get the public�s attention for their
      products and services. Today however, they are all being
      challenged by a recording industry in turmoil. Article by Chris
      Knab.

      DIGITAL MUSIC IN A CHANGING DIGITAL WORLD
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/internet/digitalworld.htm
      Will digital technology ever truly "level the playing field" for
      independent musicians? Or will the disparity we see today between
      struggling musicians and the corporate music industry continue
      for the foreseeable future? Does it even really matter? Article
      by David Nevue.

      MUSICDISTRIBUTION.COM
      http://www.musicdistribution.com/
      MusicDistribution.com aims to help you find the best places to
      promote, sell, and distribute your music on the Internet.
      Includes our top 10 list, music promotion tips, and
      recommended resources.

      Recent Additions/Updates to the Musician's Directory....
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/directory

      BUZZPLANT
      http://www.buzzplant.com/
      The Buzz Plant is an Internet marketing and promotion company
      that focuses on the Christian Music industry. BuzzPlant makes use
      of grassroots promotion as well as partnerships with Christian
      and music marketing web sites to promote its clients. The
      emphasis at the BuzzPlant is investing in relationships with
      potential buyers by building a rapport with them, and then
      offering them the music they are looking for. BuzzPlant Clients
      include some huge names - Sonic Flood, Mercy Me, Michael Card,
      Ginny Owens, Charlie Peacock, The Choir and many others. Visit
      the web site for examples of current promotions.

      GOODNIGHT KISS MUSIC
      http://www.goodnightkiss.com/
      Songwriters, check out Goodnight Kiss Music, a music publisher
      based in Hollywood, California. GKM specializes in placing songs
      within the film, television, and recording industry and they have
      a very impressive list of credits. Goodknight Kiss is open to
      considering material from unknown songwriters for their projects,
      but they do have a strict list of requirements for submissions.
      Interested songwriters should check their daily updates to see
      what they are currently working on, and then contact them
      directly before submitting any material. A subscription based
      newsletter is also available which outlines their current
      projects. Check out their excellent Song Critique Checklist.

      MIXONIC CD DUPLICATION
      http://www.mixonic.com/
      The digital age is definitely here! At Mixonic you can create
      your entire CD from start to finish online - upload your audio
      files then use the CD Designer to add your music to a CD.
      Finally, use the label editor to upload graphics, text, and/or
      clipart to be printed directly on your CD surface in full color.
      By the time you are done using their wizard-like interface,
      you've created a CD, which you can save (to finish later), or
      order for manufacturing. Guaranteed 2 business day turnaround on
      CD orders. Short run orders, or big orders, it doesn't matter.
      Currently, Mixonic only offers CDs in paper sleeves or slim/thin
      jewel cases. But custom j-cards and inserts are coming soon. Very
      cool.

      THE MUSE'S MUSE - SONGWRITERS COMMUNITY
      http://www.musesmuse.com
      The Muse's Muse has, over it's many years, become one of the mose
      enduring and useful independent songwriter communities on the
      Internet. Songwriters will find a lot to peruse here, but we
      especially recommend checking out the 'Interactivities', where
      you'll find chat rooms, as well as an active message board. We
      also highly recommend the writings of their columnists,
      especially their excellent Copyright and Publishing Q&A column.
      Be sure to subscribe to the free monthly newsletter.

      Contests, Competitions, and Opportunities

      B.E.A.M. GRANT PROGRAM HELPS UNSIGNED MUSICIANS
      http://mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=33162
      Making a living in the music world can be a tough goal to
      achieve. Many talented musicians go unnoticed because they don't
      have the resources needed to display their talents. To help make
      some of these life-long dreams come true, Jim Beam� Bourbon will
      award another $100,000 in grant money in 2002 to unsigned artists
      through the B.E.A.M. (Benefiting Emerging Artists in Music)
      program. Final grant deadline is August 30th.

      THE INTERNATIONAL SONGWRITING COMPETITION
      http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/
      Enter YOUR SONGS now to WIN over $50,000 in prize money and
      merchandise and have your music heard by the music industry's
      top professionals! Categories include: Pop, Rock, Country, Folk,
      R&B, Hip-Hop/Rap, World Music, and Lyrics Only. Entrants may
      submit multiple songs in as many categories as they wish. $54,000
      in cash and prizes will be shared by 27 winners. There is a $30
      entry fee. All entries must be postmarked by September 30, 2002.

      101 ONLINE MUSIC PR SOURCES - FREE TO TWO WINNERS EVERY MONTH
      http://www.bob-baker.com/buzz/onlinepr.html
      Bob Baker is giving away copies of his new music publicity
      resource. "Some professionals hide their secrets, but not Bob,"
      says Jeffrey P. Fisher, author of Ruthless Self-Promotion in the
      Music Industry. Fisher is referring to Bob Baker's "Online Music
      PR Hot List," a new downloadable book that reveals 101 places to
      submit press releases, get reviewed, uncover PR connections and
      promote your music on the Internet. Every month, Baker will give
      away two copies of this new online music PR directory.

      U.K. BROADCASTER SEEKING MUSIC VIDEOS FOR SKY TV
      http://www.waterfall-studios.com/
      Waterfall Studios is seeking seeking interesting or unusual music
      videos from around the world to feature in a SKY TV series. The
      series, 'Showcase TV' is broadcast throughout Europe. Artists
      seeking exposure for their videos are welcome to submit their
      material to Waterfall Studios, 2 Silver Road, Wood Lane, London
      W12 7SG. They require Digibeta or BetaSP formats, (NTSC, PAL or
      SECAM) although they can also accept U-MATICS. Further questions?
      email James Weston at james@...

      Articles From Around The Net....

      THE INTERNET DEBACLE - AN ALTERNATE VIEW
      http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html
      When I research an article, I normally send 30 or so emails to
      friends and acquaintances asking for opinions and anecdotes. I
      usually receive 10-20 in reply. But not so on this subject!
      I sent 36 emails requesting opinions and facts on free music
      downloading from the Net. I stated that I planned to adopt the
      viewpoint of devil's advocate: free Internet downloads are good
      for the music industry and its artists. I've received, to date,
      over 300 replies, every single one from someone legitimately "in
      the music business." What's more interesting than the emails are
      the phone calls. I don't know anyone at NARAS (home of the Grammy
      Awards), and I know Hilary Rosen (head of rhe Recording Industry
      Association of America, or RIAA) only vaguely. Yet within 24
      hours of sending my original email, I'd received two messages
      from Rosen and four from NARAS requesting that I call to "discuss
      the article." Huh. Didn't know I was that widely read.

      Featured Music Industry News
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com

      YAHOO'S ROLE IN WEBCASTING FEES ATTACKED
      http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?newsID=125829
      After the Librarian of Congress set Webcasting fees on June 20,
      Yahoo was assailed as being responsible, since the fees were
      based on a Webcasting deal Yahoo made with the Recording Industry
      Association of America. Then Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas
      Mavericks and founder of Broadcast.com, which Yahoo purchased,
      said the Yahoo/RIAA deal was made to "shut out small Webcasters
      and decrease competition."

      MUSIC PUBLISHER CLAIMS COPYRIGHT ON SILENCE
      http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/silencea020702
      When British composer and producer Mike Batt put a one-minute
      silent track on an album he was putting together, he didn't
      expect to get a notice of copyright infringement. But
      representatives of John Cage, an avant-garde composer who died in
      1992, are claiming that Batt violated the copyright on Cage's
      1952 silent composition 4'33''. Batt said he received a letter on
      their behalf, claiming royalties on the track. Batt said he was
      "in hysterics" when he read the letter. When Batt told his
      mother, he says her reply was, "Which part of the silence are
      they claiming you nicked?"

      RIAA TO GO AFTER INDIVIDUAL SONG SWAPPERS
      http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=11343
      The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is planning
      to go after file-sharing users who provide high volumes of
      copyrighted music over peer-to-peer (P2P) systems, the Wall
      Street Journal reported. The top music labels are to step up
      their campaign against individual song swappers, moving away from
      their strategy of trying to shut down the P2P programs
      themselves. The suits would also tackle �supernodes,� or people
      who operate centralised directories of unauthorised files.

      NET RADIO GOES UNDERGROUND
      http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-941405.html
      Inspired by Britain's iconoclastic history of pirate radio
      broadcasting, Iain McLeod wants to save Internet radio.
      The 39-year-old McLeod, a game designer who works out of his home
      in England, is the author of Streamer, a new software program
      designed to let people create online radio stations that are
      difficult for the authorities to trace. Like many a Net rebel
      before him, McLeod says he's fighting what he sees as the big
      record labels' desire to control online music.

      LISTEN.COM: KING OF ONLINE MUSIC
      http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1379641
      Crowning itself the new king of online music, Listen.com Monday
      added the last major record label to its Rhapsody service:
      Universal Music Group (UMG), a division of Vivendi Universal
      (NYSE:V). Listen CEO Sean Ryan said he was tickled pink because
      he now has a more complete selection of titles than similar music
      download sites like MusicNet and pressplay. In addition to the
      UMG digital catalog, Listen.com has full digital catalogs from
      BMG, EMI, Sony Music and Warner Music Group, as well as music
      from more than 50 independent labels.

      LABELS INUNDATE FILE-SWAPPING FANS WITH FAKE SONGS
      http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=11272
      Major record labels have been inundating file-swapping services
      with fake copies of hit songs in hopes of frustrating the
      millions of users illegally downloading copyrighted music,
      Mercury News reported. The newspaper said sources at three top
      labels admitted they�re sending fake versions of almost every new
      major release to peer-to-peer (P2P) services like Morpheus and
      KaZaA to force impatient downloaders back into the music stores.

      NAPSTER APPROVED FOR $5.1M LOAN
      http://www.bizreport.com/article.php?art_id=3554
      Napster Inc., which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
      early this month, won final approval Tuesday of a $5.13 million
      debtor-in-possession agreement with Bertelsmann AG, its
      prospective purchaser. Napster, which stirred controversy as the
      provider of a free Internet music service, will use $4 million of
      the loan to fund business operations. The remaining $1.13 million
      will fund a key employee retention plan, the terms of which were
      also approved Tuesday.

      MUSIC INDUSTRY COULD GET GREEN LIGHT TO HACK P2P SITES
      http://tinyurl.com/lhp
      The US may introduce radical legislation to allow music companies
      to hack peer-to-peer (P2P) networks they suspect of distributing
      pirated material. US senator Howard Berman has proposed new laws
      which would give the green light for copyright holders to employ
      decoys, re-direction, file-blocking and spoofing technologies to
      stop the P2P sites working. However the legislation will have to
      overcome existing US law which makes such behaviour illegal under
      the country's version of the Computer Misuse Act - the Computer
      Fraud and Abuse Act.

      MUSIC INDUSTRY GETS HEAT FOR ADS TO YOUTHS
      http://tinyurl.com/lhq
      The music industry still advertises albums with explicit lyrics
      on TV shows and in teen magazines, while movie and video game
      companies have significantly curtailed the marketing of violence
      to young people, according to a new Federal Trade Commission
      report. The report is the third in a series examining
      entertainment industry advertising practices -- and the third to
      chastise the music business. In 1999, President Bill Clinton
      directed the FTC to make the first study after the shootings at
      Columbine High School in Colorado.

      MTV ANNOUNCES HIGHEST RATED QUARTER IN HISTORY
      http://mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=38548
      MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION announces that 2Q'02 will rank as the
      highest rated quarter in history and is pacing to become the
      network's most watched second quarter among all its key demos,
      according to Nielsen Media Research. MTV also maintains its
      position as the #1 cable network for the coveted 12-24 year old
      demographic for more than 10 years (to date).

      COMPANIES CRACK DOWN ON MP3s
      http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-939797.html
      Stash those headphones and trash that file-swapping software:
      Companies are cracking down on employees who use streaming media
      and swap MP3s at work. The trend is a result of two developments:
      media usage hogging enormous amounts of corporate bandwidth and
      threats of legal liability as the entertainment industry
      aggressively pursues copyright scofflaws.

      Recommended Resources

      HOW TO PROMOTE YOUR MUSIC SUCCESSFULLY ON THE INTERNET
      Summer 2002 Edition!
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/htpromotemusic.htm
      Learn the marketing and promotion methods that one musician uses
      to bring in over $5000 a month in income from the Internet! There
      are no 'pipe dreams' sold here. The author details step-by-step
      how he finally said good-bye to his day job and starting spending
      more time on his music. Download Version Available for only
      $14.95!

      THE GUERRILLA MUSIC MARKETING HANDBOOK
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/guerrillamusic.htm
      This guide to independent music success features over 175 ways to
      thrive and prosper with your own band or record label. Download
      Version Available! The PDF version of this great book is now only
      $29.95!

      THE MUSICIAN'S ATLAS - 2002 Edition
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/musiciansatlas.htm
      Created by The Music Resource Group, this 368-page volume
      provides access to over 15,000 music businesses and key industry
      contacts in more than 25 categories. Current names, phone and fax
      numbers, e-mail and website addresses, detailed submission
      policies and the styles of music preferred is just some of the
      information you'll find on every page of The Atlas. Available in
      hard copy for only $24.95!

      THE INDIE BIBLE
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/indiecontactbible.htm
      Need to create some BUZZ about your music? Looking for reviewers?
      Radio station contacts? Promotion services? Then grab The Indie
      Bible. This fantastic new musicians 'black book' contains pages
      filled with contacts with publications and radio programmers all
      over the world. These are people who actively look for music to
      review! Download or Hard Copy Version Available for $24.95!

      MUSIC IS YOUR BUSINESS
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/musiciyb.htm
      This great offering from music biz consultant Christopher Knab is
      now available in PDF format! Find out why so many musicians fail
      and how you can get the 'edge'. Learn how to attract
      distributors, radio play, and how to create a demand for your
      music. Music Is Your Business includes excellent flowcharts and
      graphs, demonstrating in simple terms how the industry operates.
      Sample artist bio, fact sheet, and checklists for jump-starting
      your career and/or running your own record label! PDF Edition
      only $19.95!

      THE INDIE MUSICIAN'S PDF POWER PACK!
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/index.htm
      Get three of our best-selling books for one low price! Set
      includes 'How to Promote Your Music Successfully on the
      Internet', 'The Indie Bible' and 'Music is Your Business' - All
      for only $49.95 emailed to your inbox!

      Services

      GET REPRESENTATION
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/representation.htm
      The Music Biz Academy has partnered with NOMA music, a very
      well-established song placement and promotion agency, to help you
      get your music heard. The mission statement of NOMA Music is
      threefold:

      1) Placing bands, songwriters, instrumentalists, and solo artists
      with established record labels.
      2) Placing and licensing songs and music into television, film,
      commercials, video, and animation projects.
      3) Representing up and coming film and TV composers.

      NOMA works with a large network of over 400 production companies.
      Recent successes include client song placement in MTV's 'The
      Osbournes', FX's 'The Shield', an NHL Hockey video, and three
      songs in the upcoming film 'Employee of the Month' starring John
      Doe from the band X. NOMA provides an aggressive program to get
      your music into the right hands.

      GET YOUR MUSIC ONLINE!
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/cdstreet.htm
      We've partnered with CDStreet to offer one of the best deals on
      the net for musicians looking to sell their music via the web.
      CDStreet simply takes 20% of your CD price. If you sell a CD for
      $12.99, you keep $10.39. If you need to ecommerce enable your web
      site (as in, you need a shopping cart), you can use CDStreet to
      do that as well. Visitors can rate your music, post reviews, get
      news and information and listen to and purchase your music. Very
      highly recommended, with lots of buzz on the �street�. There is a
      one-time $29.95 set up fee, but no recurring or hidden charges. A
      fantastic deal on a high-visibility, high-class web site.

      MUSIC CAREER CONSULTING
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/consulting.htm
      If you'd like some help getting your music career off the ground
      or preparing for that next step, contact our expert music
      consultant, Christopher Knab. Chris has been called "One of the
      Most Influential People in the Northwest Music Industry." by
      Seattle's Rocket Magazine. He is owner of FourFront Media and
      Music, a consultation service based in Seattle that helps
      musicians develop marketing and career plans.

      RADIO & RETAIL PROMOTION
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/radiopromo.htm
      If you're looking to promote your music either via radio or
      through retail, we've teamed up with a radio promoter who has
      quarterbacked campaigns for RadioHead (before they were stars),
      Lit (Malicious Vinyl), and others. Our contact will help arrange
      on-air interviews, CD reviews, and create a custom campaign
      custom designed for your music.

      ART DESIGN - CDs, Posters, One-Sheets, and Web Sites
      http://www.musicbizacademy.com/artdesign/
      In this business of music, image means everything! You know it,
      we know it, the music industry knows it. Our hand-picked graphic
      designers will help you make a powerful statement about your
      music! Whether you need art design for your CD package, or just a
      quick logo, it's all here. Check out the very cool one-sheet
      designs, the perfect item to make your press kit stand out!

      The Music Biz Academy Digest is brought to you by The Music
      Biz Academy (http://www.musicbizacademy.com) . It is a resource
      designed for musicians promoting or selling music on the
      internet. Each week we feature news, articles, and reviews
      related to the art of online music promotion and music related
      product sales.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com