A Cool and Unusual Cort from Yosemite

  • debbieviess
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
      The below post was first published this morning on bayareamushrooms@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Gang,
      David just returned home from yet another collecting expedition to Yosemite. He'll be posting his story here [BAMS list] soon.

      But of course he had to show off some of his haul upon his return, that included lots of really cool and unusual mushrooms. One of the very coolest was this fat-bottomed cort, that not only had a lovely blue-green color in its context, but also turned red when bruised! Gotta love lots of good features for those cort IDs!

      Here I must pause and thank Dimitar Bojantchev, whose very hard work of documenting corts here in CA and the west coast made this ID possible. I opened up every darn photo of a cort on his very long list of photo-documented corts on his fine website, Mushroomhobby.com, until I finally struck "gold", or in this
      case, red and green: Cortinarius cyanites, and no, I'd never heard of it, either!

      I confirmed the ID by looking at examples on Rogers Mushrooms, where he stated that rubbing the context with a knife would cause it to turn red: bingo!

      Dimitar has single-handedly given us all entry into a very difficult but supremely interesting group of mushrooms. It wasn't so long ago that I, along with most, woulda just seen that cort and shook my head at hopes of an ID.

      Thanks Dimi, we really do appreciate all of your hard work.

      http://mushroomobserver.org/77688?q=7YH6

      Now back to the rest of those perplexing mushrooms.

      Debbie Viess

      ps Hey Dimi, speaking of your cort photos, is there any way that you could sort those names into sections, for greater ease of searching? I literally did have to open every darn one that I didn't already know....the vast majority.
    • Dimitar Bojantchev
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011

        Good job Debbie, I share your positive enthusiasm and excitement after a good id, it is a pleasing thing indeed. Just be prepared that we have to be accepting when we do not have a good id at hand.

        C. cyanites is an interesting species. I have collected it in Sweden. Seen it collected in the Idaho NAMA event in McCall 2007. Collected it in Humboldt Co. last year, it also showed at the fair there. The nrITS is very, very close in this Northern Hemisphere species.

        It is also a bit of a chameleon, at age the gills may become dark blue like those of C. violaceus, but they start pale, kind of reverse coloration. I hadn’t collected it from Yosemite and that collection adds to the mosaic of its distribution.

        Let see what Yuba Pass will throw at me today, hopefully not snow…

                        D.