Important New Names (Nor. Cal. & N.A. West) -- two new papers by David Arora et al.

  • Dimitar Bojantchev
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008

      Two much anticipated papers by David Arora et al. came out this week

      -- much anticipated because we knew that they're "in preparation" for

      awhile and refereed to them frequently. Now the papers are out in the

      journal of Economic Botany: They are primarely important to those

      collecting in Northern California and the North American West.

      1) California Porcini: Three New Taxa, Observations on Their Harvest,

      and the Tragedy of No Commons -- Arora and Simonini (a well known

      Italian Boletologist and author)

      Taxonomic Part: Reviews several well known Northern Californian

      Boletes and gives them appropriate new names/variety status.

        a) The common Californian Boletus edulis becomes var. grandedulis.

        b) What was formerly known as Boletus aereus, is called now Boletus

           regineus (=queenly)

        c) The Spring King, formerly misnamed as the European Boletus

      pinophilus has finally been crowned in his own rights as: Boletus

      rex-veris.

      The non-taxonomic portion of the paper deals extensively with the

      history and tragedy of the prohibitions on mushroom gathering in

      California .

      2) A New, Commercially Valuable Chanterelle Species, Cantharellus

      californicus sp. nov., Associated with Live Oak in California, USA --

      David Arora* and Susie M. Dunham

      This other paper deals with the familiar Northern and Central

      Californian Live Oak chanterelles -- the name Cantharellus californicus has

      finally been officially published, thus appropriate for technical

      use.

                  D.

                  www.mushroomhobby.com

    • Tom Cruckshank

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
          not yet, at least not insofar as public distribution.
          Debbie

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
            Wow!  I'm amazed this day has finally come.

            Can someone (Dimi?) provide the full names with the author and a proper citation for the papers?  Copies of the formal description would also be a big help.

            Regarding the California Chanterelle is there any discussion of the genetics?  Last I heard from Susie Dunham it sounded like there might two cryptic species within the C. californicus concept they were working on.

            -Nathan

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
              Hi Nathan,

              I double-checked with Mr. Arora on the overall situation with the (1) names, (2) the availability of the material and (3) particularly it's distribution (even if one has it in an electronic form). Essentially the situation is like this:

              1) The names are validly published as of this moment and can be used.

              2) D. Arora has yet to sort out the "electronic open distribution of the text" -- yes, I know it is only scientific material and should be freely available, but...

              3) The magazine Economic Botany is available only to subscribers -- for regular members it is in the $50-$65 range -- I will ask whether one can obtain just one book! (the latest, but I doubt they'll agree)

              4) David said that this volume is richly illustrated and dedicated to fungi.

              Hope that makes sense.

                      D.

              P.S. BTW, this reminds me -- in order to dig out another well known publication by David Arora and Simonini -- the one dealing with the naming B. eastwoodiae and B. pulcherrimus, etc -- I had to go quite some route -- it was in a beautiful Italian journal: Micologia e Vegetazione Mediterranea