Re: [MT] south SF

  • terry caudle
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
      that's who I'm going to see, Todd Spanier. He contacted me and is willing to relieve me of some of my boletes. I don't, as a rule, sell mushrooms, but, I have over 100 lbs right now in my refer. I've given away just as many this week alone. My freezer is full of them and I have 10 large ziplocs of dried ones already.  Might as well see what he has to say, probably never be in this position again!!

      From: terry caudle <terryc4113@...>
      To: MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 10:06 PM

      willing to go as far as Santa Cruz or Capitola

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
        hate when I do that. another personal message shared with you all

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
          Before ya go, Terry, a bit of Colma cemetary etiquette...do not scream with joy when you discover fungi in the dry season (sometimes very difficult)!
          Also, try and maintain a solemn demeanor. Most folks aren't there for the mushrooms (you knew that). I have failed at both of these somber behaviors in light of personal ecstasy, myself, but hope springs eternal.

          This is also one of the sites for a consistantly tiny Amanita phalloides fruiting under cork oak...tho prob. more due to the fact that it is an out-of-season phalloides, than any genetic difference.
          I have found tiny phalloides in Oakland and on the UCB campus...all out of season fruitings.

          Heck, we once had a "who has the tiniest phalloides of all" contest on the MSSF list; nice counterpoint to the old "who has the biggest" nonsense.

          Rita

          --- In MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, James Edmonds <jre93@...> wrote:

          > Colma cemetery off 280 has all kinds of fungi. Pacifica can be good too but a
          > little further down the road.

          > =D
          > ===D
          > ==D
          > ==={
          > =D
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Christian Schwarz
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
            I have also found a tiny Amanita phalloides in an off-season fruiting - but with live oak on the UCSC campus.

            Interesting that you found it with Cork oak, Debbie - supposedly one of the trees that it came in on, right?

            There are a few cork oaks on the UCSC campus, but I never see anything at all fruiting under them.

            --
            Christian Schwarz
          • terry caudle
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
              did a drive through today. All I saw was Agaricus. they had just mowed so I didn't feel it would be a good time to look. Gardners everywhere raking mowing and blowing

              Before ya go, Terry, a bit of Colma cemetary etiquette...do not scream with joy when you discover fungi in the dry season (sometimes very difficult)!
              Also, try and maintain a solemn demeanor. Most folks aren't there for the mushrooms (you knew that). I have failed at both of these somber behaviors in light of personal ecstasy, myself, but hope springs eternal.

              This is also one of the sites for a consistantly tiny Amanita phalloides fruiting under cork oak...tho prob. more due to the fact that it is an out-of-season phalloides, than any genetic difference.
              I have found tiny phalloides in Oakland and on the UCB campus...all out of season fruitings.

              Heck, we once had a "who has the tiniest phalloides of all" contest on the MSSF list; nice counterpoint to the old "who has the biggest" nonsense.

              Rita

              --- In MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, James Edmonds <jre93@...> wrote:

              > Colma cemetery off 280 has all kinds of fungi. Pacifica can be good too but a
              > little further down the road.

              > =D
              > ===D
              > ==D
              > ==={
              > =D
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Heath Curdts
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
                I live quite close to a cemetery in Santa Rosa. I stopped bothering to look there for table fare when I learned that many tasty fungi tend to accumulate heavy metals, which for centuries have been an important part of embalming fluids. Urp.

                Below is a link to a post by Daniel Wheeler from an online thread in Mycology, Oct. 1999.

                Cheers,
                Heath

                -----------------------

                Documentation of heavy metal poisonings is available in Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas, by Denis Benjamin, c. 1995 by W.H. Freeman and Co.
                The opening of Benjamin's discussion of the topic reads: "Many species
                of the higher fungi -- from a large number of different genera,
                including many of the best-known edible varieties -- have been shown to
                concentrate or accumulate trace elements, including some of the toxic
                metals."

                Metals accumulated by mushrooms include mercury, cadmium, strontium,
                lead, cesium-134 and cesium-137, arsenic, vanadium, selenium, manganese,
                bromine, nickel, silver and gold. See the book for citations.

                Daniel B. Wheeler
                www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

                On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM, terry caudle <terryc4113@...> wrote:

                did a drive through today. All I saw was Agaricus. they had just mowed so I didn't feel it would be a good time to look. Gardners everywhere raking mowing and blowing

                Before ya go, Terry, a bit of Colma cemetary etiquette...do not scream with joy when you discover fungi in the dry season (sometimes very difficult)!
                Also, try and maintain a solemn demeanor. Most folks aren't there for the mushrooms (you knew that). I have failed at both of these somber behaviors in light of personal ecstasy, myself, but hope springs eternal.

                This is also one of the sites for a consistantly tiny Amanita phalloides fruiting under cork oak...tho prob. more due to the fact that it is an out-of-season phalloides, than any genetic difference.
                I have found tiny phalloides in Oakland and on the UCB campus...all out of season fruitings.

                Heck, we once had a "who has the tiniest phalloides of all" contest on the MSSF list; nice counterpoint to the old "who has the biggest" nonsense.

                Rita

                --- In
                MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, James Edmonds <jre93@...> wrote:

                > Colma cemetery off 280 has all kinds of fungi. Pacifica can be good too but a
                > little further down the road.

                > =D
                > ===D
                > ==D
                > ==={
                > =D
                >

                > ______________________________
                __

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
                  wasn't really looking for edibles, just looking. Don't think any are fruiting right now anyway, other than boletes

                  http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/mycology/1999-October/007517.html

                  Documentation of heavy metal poisonings is available in Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas, by Denis Benjamin, c. 1995 by W.H. Freeman and Co.
                  The opening of Benjamin's discussion of the topic reads: "Many species
                  of the higher fungi -- from a large number of different genera,
                  including many of the best-known edible varieties -- have been shown to
                  concentrate or accumulate trace elements, including some of the toxic
                  metals."

                  Metals accumulated by mushrooms include mercury, cadmium, strontium,
                  lead, cesium-134 and cesium-137, arsenic, vanadium, selenium, manganese,
                  bromine, nickel, silver and gold. See the book for citations.

                  Daniel B. Wheeler
                  www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

                  On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM, terry caudle <terryc4113@...> wrote:

                  did a drive through today. All I saw was Agaricus. they had just mowed so I didn't feel it would be a good time to look. Gardners everywhere raking mowing and blowing

                  Before ya go, Terry, a bit of Colma cemetary etiquette...do not scream with joy when you discover fungi in the dry season (sometimes very difficult)!
                  Also, try and maintain a solemn demeanor. Most folks aren't there for the mushrooms (you knew that). I have failed at both of these somber behaviors in light of personal ecstasy, myself, but hope springs eternal.

                  This is also one of the sites for a consistantly tiny Amanita phalloides fruiting under cork oak...tho prob. more due to the fact that it is an out-of-season phalloides, than any genetic difference.
                  I have found tiny phalloides in Oakland and on the UCB campus...all out of season fruitings.

                  Heck, we once had a "who has the tiniest phalloides of all" contest on the MSSF list; nice counterpoint to the old "who has the biggest" nonsense.

                  Rita

                  --- In
                  MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, James Edmonds <jre93@...> wrote:

                  > Colma cemetery off 280 has all kinds of fungi. Pacifica can be good too but a
                  > little further down the road.

                  > =D
                  > ===D
                  > ==D
                  > ==={
                  > =D
                  >

                  > ______________________________
                  __
                  > From: terry caudle <terryc4113@...>
                  > To: dimitri <
                  MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com>

                • Tom Cruckshank
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2010
                    I'd be leery of picking in the cemetery for the table.  They use tons of petroleum products on the vegetation there.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2010
                      I don't eat anything off a residential lawn, just take pictures of them

                      I'd be leery of picking in the cemetery for the table.  They use tons of petroleum products on the vegetation there.

                      On 9/1/2010 9:35 PM, terry caudle wrote:
                      did a drive through today. All I saw was Agaricus. they had just mowed so I didn't feel it would be a good time to look. Gardners everywhere raking mowing and blowing

                      Before ya go, Terry, a bit of Colma cemetary etiquette...do not scream with joy when you discover fungi in the dry season (sometimes very difficult)!
                      Also, try and maintain a solemn demeanor. Most folks aren't there for the mushrooms (you knew that). I have failed at both of these somber behaviors in light of personal ecstasy, myself, but hope springs eternal.

                      This is also one of the sites for a consistantly tiny Amanita phalloides fruiting under cork oak...tho prob. more due to the fact that it is an out-of-season phalloides, than any genetic difference.
                      I have found tiny phalloides in Oakland and on the UCB campus...all out of season fruitings.

                      Heck, we once had a "who has the tiniest phalloides of all" contest on the MSSF list; nice counterpoint to the old "who has the biggest" nonsense.

                      Rita

                      --- In MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, James Edmonds <jre93@...> wrote:

                      > Colma cemetery off 280 has all kinds of fungi. Pacifica can be good too but a
                      > little further down the road.

                      > =D
                      > ===D
                      > ==D
                      > ==={
                      > =D
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • debbieviess
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 3, 2010
                        I know a former MSSF Pres who selectively hunts a beautifully green-lawned cemetery for his beloved Marasmius oreades...gives them as gifts, too (I have a jar myself).

                        If you see a monoculture lawn (ie only grass grows there) you can be assured that the lawn maintainence people are using herbicides. On the other hand, when you see plant diversity in the lawn, like in an older, untended cemetery, it indicates that the soil is probably clean and any mushrooms safe to eat.

                        I have to admit that when my old friends Mike Wood and Fred Stevens and I all found a huge fruiting of about 24 giant Agaricus augustus in a Colma cemetery we did indeed eat some...herbacides be damned. But no lives were lost or illnesses ensued, and most were used for a mushroom demo at the Strybing Arboretum the next day.

                        Mostly, cemeteries are fun(!)places to see mushrooms out of season, not to gather edibles for the table.

                        Peaceful, too. As long as the mushroomers aren't shrieking with joy.

                        Rita

                        --- In MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, Tom Cruckshank <SOMAnewseditor@...> wrote:

                        > I'd be leery of picking in the cemetery for the
                        > table. They use tons of petroleum products on the
                        > vegetation there.
                        >
                        > On 9/1/2010 9:35 PM, terry caudle wrote:
                        > >

                        > > did a drive through today. All I saw was
                        > > Agaricus. they had just mowed so I didn't feel
                        > > it would be a good time to look. Gardners
                        > > everywhere raking mowing and blowing

                      • candycap
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 3, 2010
                        Naked ladies are known to hang out at the cemetary on the coast.   I believe a gypsy or two may be found there on occasion too.

                        Here's a photo to memorialize 3 special fungal folks who passed this year......David B, Larry S, and Miriam R.

                        cc
                        Irma

                        I don't eat anything off a residential lawn, just take pictures of them

                        I'd be leery of picking in the cemetery for the table.  They use tons of petroleum products on the vegetation there.

                        On 9/1/2010 9:35 PM, terry caudle wrote:
                        did a drive through today. All I saw was Agaricus. they had just mowed so I didn't feel it would be a good time to look. Gardners everywhere raking mowing and blowing

                        Before ya go, Terry, a bit of Colma cemetary etiquette...do not scream with joy when you discover fungi in the dry season (sometimes very difficult)!
                        Also, try and maintain a solemn demeanor. Most folks aren't there for the mushrooms (you knew that). I have failed at both of these somber behaviors in light of personal ecstasy, myself, but hope springs eternal.

                        This is also one of the sites for a consistantly tiny Amanita phalloides fruiting under cork oak...tho prob. more due to the fact that it is an out-of-season phalloides, than any genetic difference.
                        I have found tiny phalloides in Oakland and on the UCB campus...all out of season fruitings.

                        Heck, we once had a "who has the tiniest phalloides of all" contest on the MSSF list; nice counterpoint to the old "who has the biggest" nonsense.

                        Rita

                        --- In MushroomTalk@yahoogroups.com, James Edmonds <jre93@...> wrote:

                        > Colma cemetery off 280 has all kinds of fungi. Pacifica can be good too but a
                        > little further down the road.

                        > =D
                        > ===D
                        > ==D
                        > ==={
                        > =D
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Deborah Klein
                        Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3, 2010
                          Hi Irma,
                          Nice photo!
                          Debbie

                          Message 13 of 18 , Sep 4, 2010
                            Thanks......doesn't have quite the same elan and mystique as Dimitar's foreign shots but our coastal cemetary is surrounded by forest with a charm of its very own (in case that went unnoticed)....... sometimes makes one feel they don't ever have to travel anywhere .....  It's all right here in our own back yard ...  and the annual attraction of naked ladies have a scent that is incomparable !!

                            Also reminded me of those recently departed.....

                            Irma
                            cc