reg green mold contamination

  • wenu_us
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 9:03 AM
      Hi to all,
      Am new to mushroom cultivation and the new member for this group.Am facing the problem with green mold contamination.can any one suggest how to prevent that or how to cure if we found in the beds. Am very much interest in growing of Pleurotus type.
      Thnx in adv
    • greysRDbest@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 9:11 AM
        once you see the green trichoderma mold....its too late. throw out the blocks or beds, sterilize everything and start again.
        Im not sure at what point you are being infected with trichoderma....but if its in your culture it doesn’t matter what you do.

        If you are using a proven pure culture....then begin to look at weak points in your cultivation schedule.....improperly sterilized grain or substrate....expansion in to liquid culture with contamination happening before expansion etc.

        good luck
        Jason

        Am new to mushroom cultivation and the new member for this group.Am facing the problem with green mold contamination.can any one suggest how to prevent that or how to cure if we found in the beds. Am very much interest in growing of Pleurotus type.
        Thnx in adv

      • James Edmonds
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 9:51 AM
          The green plague of the fungal kingdom ! The spores will contaminate everything within several yards of the infection if the bed is out doors. Heat and moisture combined with little to no air flow provides the ideal environment for rapid growth of the green meanie. Dig up the bed and bury it in a compost heap, microbes will eat the greenies spores and all. The ground will be contaminated too with spores, dig it up and water it down for a few weeks. This makes spores germinate and without added substrate they can be easily consumed by microbes and small insects. Don't plant a fresh bed for at least a year and if you do, place lots of cardboard on the ground first. If you see it in grain jars, do not open them ! Place them in a pressure cooker and zap them for an hour at 15 psi before opening and cleaning. Wash your clothes after dealing with them, the spores will be everywhere. Anyone who comes up with a safe method of extermination of that pesty mold from mushroom cultures will be a millionaire !

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5 1:11 PM
            Trichoderma harzianum isn't all evil. I'm a consulting arborist and I've been thinking about trying it out to help reduce Armillaria infection in oak trees. Last week I looked at a beautiful old oak that is declining rapidly, and it needs all the help it can get. The few studies I've seen show that Trichoderma won't fix the problem, but it might slow down the infection in the roots.

            Wen (?) and anyone else, I'd be happy to pay shipping costs if you want to send me some of your "contaminated" mycelium. There's a Dutch Trichoderma product that may be available to treat trees, but I'd prefer the local strain.

            Now a question for the group, if I were to introduce a lot of T. harzianum to a healthy stand of oaks (my garden), would it behave as a bully and destroy the candy cap and Laccaria fruitings that I've been so excited about? Or would it just mix with the myco-flora and all the fungi would be happy and sing the mushroom equivalent of Kumbaya?

            Ruth