When the day starts right...

  • Dimitar Bojantchev
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Mycowise, not all days are created equal. But you'll probably agree
      that a day is likely to be good if it starts right.

      Anyway, I'm organizing my pictures from a 2 day trip up North to
      Mt. Shasta and vicinity -- 800mi/1,300km overall -- great picking,
      great company, fun overall.

      So, Shasta City, Saturday, 7:30AM -- as the one who sleeps the least,
      the boss sent me out on a mission to find her Starbucks and bring
      latte. She also said not to come back sooner than 1 hour. Sometimes
      not being wanted is a wonderful thing -- I had a better idea about the
      right priorities for the greater good and went around town scouting
      for interesting habitat and access. Then a mile or two out of town I
      stumbled on a sight that I had not seen before in California -- a
      solid, young deciduous Oak forest. The kind of forest that I'm
      accustomed to see in Middle and Southern Europe. Immediately I was
      transformed to a different time and a different place and so did my
      expectations for what I will pull from under the duff. Bingo, not a
      few steps in the forest and the colorful, red-capped beauties started
      popping one after the other. It felt like Summer time again, far, far
      away.

      Here are a few photos:

      Ohh, actually the only part that I screwed up on was that I forgot
      completely about Starbucks and the coffee. But eventually, I was
      forgiven and even complemented for scouting the prey.

      Generally, these butter Boletes were in all stages of developments. We
      saw rotten to very young specimens. Some were not easy to spot under
      the duff and the mixed shadows.

      The taxonomy of what we call B. regius and B. appendiculatus here in
      California clearly needs a fresh study. I am sure that I have not seen
      the European appendiculatus here, while our B. regius looks quite like
      the real deal on the outside.  It would be interesting to study the
      various populations of the red butter Boletes because they are
      frequent in both warm evergreen Oak forests, as well as in montane
      conifer habitat. Whether they are the same or not would be an
      interesting study.

           D.