rules

  • terry caudle
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      I was told that, for example Redwood rd., the roads and streets were maintained and owned by the City or the county including  12' on either side of the road. Therefore the road and the easement is governed by the same rules as the city or county parks and not a part of the East Bay Parks or the watershed, making mushroom picking legal along that strip of road. Does anyone know if that's true or not?? I've seen many mushrooms growing right out of the embankments of the roads and in some cases have even went ahead and picked them.
    • Darwin Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        Terry Seriously you should try this out. First you need  to find out if it is under there jurisdiction and get some documentation. Then if so technically you should be allowed to collect there. So try and get caught then take it to court and see if you win. If you lose it can't be much more than 100 $ fine.  Id try it. The only problem with collecting on roadside is that car exhaust has a tendecy to contaminate some species of mushrooms if you thinking of eating them. And now I'm  putting on the snow shoes to trek through the snow to retrieve some fungi known as Holwaya good luck Eddee

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010

[...]

        • Dimitar Bojantchev
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
            Countless cops have cruised past me when I have been looking at mushrooms in the green belts along the streets and at no time they showed any "unhealthy" interest.. A couple of times they were curious and when I gave them my card for MushroomHobby and they were happy and asked lots of questions. Urban mushrooming is a very popular sport and I have been led even by the greatest in the field to such an adventure. The only risk in my mind is to have some dog jump you, or some watchful neighbor get concerned. As long as we stay out of private properties, or ask permission to enter (like we did in Sacramento) then I think it should be Ok...

                    D.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
              today I pretty much stayed in the greenbelt areas. Authorities drove by but none stopped I just waved as they went by, no problem. I did reach thruogh a barbed wire fence to shag a few specimens though.