Russula pelargonia (of the PNW & CA)

  • Dimitar Bojantchev
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 8:58 AM
      Wanted to talk about this interesting Russula for quite some
      time. It's most distinctive characteristic is the odor of geraniums.

      The species is featured prominently in the local (Pacific Northwest)
      mycological folklore, and is keyed out frequently at foray
      identification tables. I see a good degree of agreement between the
      various photos and collections in our area. Less so with European
      sources - it could be a species complex. Yet, the fundamental question
      of just how related our material is to the European will require a
      critical study. The odds are stacked against it though. This echoed
      with extra strength recently when Else Vellinga mentioned that based
      on molecular data our Entoloma bloxamii and the European material are
      not even sister species (despite them looking totally alike, at least
      on pictures).

      I've collected R. pelargonia on the Coast, as well as in the Sierra
      foothills.  Probably it is a multi-host species, although that Douglas
      Fir was the only tree present between all my collections (5-6).  The
      European sources direct us to Populus as the most likely host of
      R. pelargonia, which presents yet another reason to doubt the
      conspecificity.

      The species has some distinctive features are: (1) olive to pale
      pigmentation initially that slowly turns reddish at maturity (2)
      distinctly darkened disk (frequently) and olive hues around (3) pretty
      consistently pink stem and (4) strong odor...

      Have a nice day at work everybody...

          D.

    • Herman Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 9:09 AM
        Better leave early!
        See you then.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 9:22 AM
          The reply message from me was somehow sent by mistake.

          http://mushroomhobby.com/Gallery/Russula/Russula%20pelargonia/index.htm