Re: [MT] The Oregon Dunes [10 Attachments]

  • Bill Neill
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 4:31 AM
      Dimitar
      If you have trouble making a September trip to Cape Cod perhaps you could try October, which is actually the true mushroom prime time out there.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 30, 2013, at 8:09 PM, "Dimitar Bojantchev" <dimitar@...> wrote:

      Hi Bill,

      yes, these two needle pine dwellers are very close genetically across the northern hemisphere – C. mucosus.

      I have had airplane reservations 3 times to visit Boston in the beginning of Sept. In all cases last minute work-related emergencies scuttled my plans. I hope to make that Cape Cod mushroom trip eventually.

      Here are some more photos from the Oregon sand dunes and the vicinity... I seqeunced all Cortinarius collections and got some very interesting results. The place is also a Dermocybe heaven.

          Dimitar

      Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:43 AM
      Subject: Re: [MT] The Oregon Dunes

      Dimitar
      Thanks for the pictures. I've not been there, but am aware that it has similarities to Cape Cod which is dear to me and which is also "hit hard" by mushroom hunters. Leccinum biomass is especially high there! The Cort in your pictures looks like C. mucosus which is common on Cape Cod as well.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 28, 2013, at 10:43 PM, "Dimitar Bojantchev" <dimitar@...> wrote:

      With all this talk of regulation and commercial collecting is going on, it is worth remembering that places like the Oregon Dunes are also one hell of an oasis for scientific collecting,. I have some unforgettable memories from Nov 9, 10, 2009 when Anna Moore showed me her spots. There are few places only that compare in abundance. Here are a few photos from those days.

          Dimitar