Re: [MT] Eating Grissettes?

  • Chad
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2012
      Since I'm sure you are all dying for an update...
      I ate one this morning with my eggs. Acttually was pleasantly suprised. Very simply sliced up and sauteed in a neutral oil with some salt. Served with some over easy eggs. Not terribly meaty and substantial, but the texture was ok, and the flavor was actually pretty good. Not gonna go out of my way seeking these guys out, but there are a couple active patches along my usual haunts, and I could definitely see eating them again.

      Chad

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2012
        >>Not terribly meaty and substantial......

        it's been awhile since I've eaten these, but do not recall them being lacking in texture (especially the stipe) ....... try slicing larger pieces next time ....

        the A. pachycolea, if found, will reward  your tastebuds more generously .....

        cc

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2012
          CC,
          Definitely I will do thicker slices next time. Overall, though, like I said, not bad. I have one more that I saved, and as long as I don't get any weird stomach reactions to the first, will probably try with that one. I'm wishing I had saved a huge one I found last week - would've been much more substantial.
          Chad

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2012
            Hi Chad; the grisette is a very mild-mannered mushroom (unlike most working class women); I doubt that you will get any negative reaction to it.  (I was thinking that the texture reminds me a lot of the A. muscaria; although the muscaria requires a little more attention to detail when preparing for the plate in order to eliminate toxins)
            Cheers,
            cc (Irma)