BRT is not a good idea in India.

  • Aditya
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24 4:57 PM
      Just a reminder to all the readers, the BRT as a concept has already
      being implemented in Pune City. It was the first BRT corridor in
      India and its sucessfully running in 2 corridors namely Katraj-
      Swargate and Hadapsar- Swargate, with 6 more corridors being planned
      and under design.

      There were indeed few snags even in Pune, but yet the project went
      ahed and currently stands as in "running" condition.

      On second thgoughts, a Ultra low floor Tram can be implemented
      instead of a BRT. in the same BRT corridor, its both cheaper than a
      Metro rail and monorail, as well as better blended in road trafic
      than normal rail and metro transport. Several cities and towns in
      Europe and Asia sucessfully run Hi-Tech Ultra lowfloor Trams.

      Infact a few of "sucesfull" BRT corridors over a period of time
      ultmately have infact moved either to Light Rail Systems or Ultra Low
      Floor Trams.

      The closeness of the low floor tram to the rail track and road
      surface as well as the usage of a overhead pentograph instead of a
      third rail as in a Metro rail makes is more suitable to blend easily
      in city trafic along other modes of road transport.

      Moreover one Low floor tram can infact take the load of 4 busses in
      a single go.

      My sugesstion is to implement the HiTech Low Floor Trams in all
      existing BRT corridors as the concept of BRT as unimpelmentable in
      dense traffic locations like in India.
    • Anupam Gupta
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 5:26 AM
        Hi Aditya - Would like to know from you how dense traffic impacts the
        viability of BRTS.

        For example, in Mumbai, it can effectively be used on the Western and
        Eastern Express Highways, as experts have pointed out.

        Thanks

        Anupam

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2008

          > For example, in Mumbai, it can effectively be used on the Western and
          > Eastern Express Highways, as experts have pointed out.

          Agreed. If the government manages to do something to reduce the number
          of cars plying on the roads and if the frequency of Kinglong buses
          plying on these highways is increased (both these things should be
          done simultaneously) then BRTS will be definitely successful on these
          two routes.

          Not posting more details here. Please see http://tinyurl.com/3gp224
          for more. Please send your responses to my e-mail id, marathe [dot]
          akshay [at] gmail [dot] com as it will be out of the scope of this group.

          Regards,
          Akshay Marathe