Fwd: "Nigeria Has Highest Rate of Illiteracy - UNESCO"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2004
      An item forwarded to on the H-Hausa list - http://www.h-
      net.org/~hausa/ - mentions Nigeria's high illiteracy, and the
      editor's note poses a question that also interests me in general -
      how is literacy measured in such multilingual (& multiscript!)
      contexts?

      Also, would anyone have a pointer to the UNESCO data on illiteracy?
      My quick foray to their site earlier today yielded nothing. TIA...

      Don Osborn
      Bisharat.net

      ---------------------------------
      January 26, 2004 _This Day_ (Lagos)
      Posted to the web January 26, 2004

      Chuka Odittah
      Owerri

      The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation
      (UNESCO) has rated Nigeria among the nine countries with the highest
      rate of illiteracy in the World.

      [Editor's note: The article does not say how literacy was measured,
      whether it was in the official language or mother tongue, or whether
      it counted any script. Does anyone have more information on this? -JP]