Australia: English as an Additional Language Policy to Improve Literacy Outcomes

  • dzo@bisharat.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 1:23 PM
      FYI (fwd from the Language Policy list)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Harold Schiffman <hfsclpp@...>
      Sender: lgpolicy-list-bounces+dzo=bisharat.net@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:52:32
      To: lp<lgpolicy-list@...>
      Subject: [lg policy] Australia: English as an Additional Language Policy to
      Improve Literacy Outcomes

      English as an Additional Language Policy to Improve Literacy Outcomes

      Education and Training Minister Chris Burns today released the draft
      Literacy Framework for Students learning English as an Additional
      Language. Dr Burns said the draft policy is the result of areview of
      the policy relating to the teaching of English literacy and numeracy
      during the first four hours of each school day. The draft policy also
      provides practical guidelines for all schools that cater for students
      who have English as a second or additional language. This includes
      both Indigenous and non-Indigenous learners.

      “The Territory Government is committed to giving every child the best
      opportunity for a good education,” Dr Burns said. “For children to
      have the best chance in life, they need to go to school every day and
      be able to read and write in English so they can get jobs, learn a
      trade or go on to tertiary education.

      “I believe this is my primary responsibility as the Minister for
      Education and government is committed to this policy intent. “The
      policy however has been presented in a draft format to allow schools
      and their communities to provide feedback over the next two months.

      “The revised and expanded policy has been informed by work undertaken
      by the Menzies School of Health Research on Aboriginal students with
      home languages other than English. “Implementation issues will differ
      from school to school and the consultation period will allow for
      constructive feedback and discussion. Dr Burns said he acknowledges
      there is still much debate around instructing children for whom
      English is a second or additional language.

      “The Territory Government will continue to support the use of home
      language and culture as a crucial framework to support teaching and
      learning programs.” “We are also actively encouraging our schools
      communities to use the school facilities and resources to promote and
      grow additional home language and culture programs,” Dr Burns said.

      Related files:
      Burns 310811 English Policy FINAL.pdf ( 267.05 kb )

      http://www.newsroom.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewRelease&id=8549&d=5

      --
      its members

      https://groups.sas.upenn.edu/mailman/