Language Policy for the Multilingual Classroom (book)

  • dzo@bisharat.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2011
      FYI (fwd from the language policy list)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Harold Schiffman <hfsclpp@...>
      Sender: lgpolicy-list-bounces+dzo=bisharat.net@...
      Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:31:20
      To: lp<lgpolicy-list@...>
      Subject: [lg policy] book notice: Language Policy for the Multilingual

      ISBN : 978-1-84769-368-6

      Chapter Links

      Chapter 1 Ideologies and ...
      Chapter 2 Heteroglossia i...
      Chapter 3 Children’s Lite...
      Chapter 4 Multilingualism...
      Chapter 5 Teachers at the...
      Chapter 6 Negotiating Mul...
      Chapter 7 Exploring New P...
      Chapter 8 Linguistic Dive...
      Chapter 9 Three is Too Ma...
      Chapter 10 Integrated Bil...

      Language Policy for the Multilingual Classroom

      Chapter 1
      Ideologies and Interactions in
      Multilingual Education: What Can
      an Ecological Approach Tell Us
      about Bilingual Pedagogy?

      This chapter uses the metaphor of language ecology to consider language
      practices and ideologies in complementary schools. Complementary
      schools are also known as supplementary, community language, mother
      tongue language and heritage language schools. They are voluntary, outside
      the state system, established and run by community members. There
      is great diversity in provision. Our particular focus is on schools that
      explicitly aim to teach a community language. The schools in our study
      are held either at the weekend on Saturdays and Sundays or after school
      during the week. They tend to meet for around 2–3 hours weekly and
      more or less keep to the same term dates of mainstream schools. Since
      2002, we have researched complementary schools to look at identity, learning
      and linguistic repertoires of young people and teachers.1,2 The complementary
      schools we researched were Bengali, Chinese, Gujarati and
      Turkish in Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester and London, respectively.
      The project aimed to explore the social, cultural and linguistic signifi cance
      of complementary schools both within their communities and in wider
      society, and to investigate how linguistic practices of students and teachers
      in complementary schools are used to negotiate their multilingual and
      multicultural identities.

      its members
      A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,