Re: Same-language subtitling/captioning & literacy

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2004
      A couple of responses on this topic from the WWWEDU list ...

      --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Hirshon" <bhirshon@a...> wrote:
      Hi, Claude:

      We added subtitles, which can be switched on or off, to the Flash
      animations on Kinetic City, our web-based science club for kids. We
      did it originally so that deaf kids could participate, but find that
      they're also helpful in noisy settings, in facilities that don't have
      speakers in their computers, and for kids who have a hard time
      following the fast-paced dialogue (including kids who speak English
      as a second language).

      We've had a few glitches with the captioning software that we wrote,
      so two of the animations are missing captions, but we hope to
      eventually have the bugs worked out.

      Overall, even though it adds some production work, I think it's worth
      it, especially for sites intended for use by kids.

      Bob Hirshon
      Project Director
      Kinetic City
      bhirshon@k...
      www.kineticcity.com

      >>> claude.almansi@b... - 1/18/04 8:42 PM >>>
      Hi Don

      I share your interest for Same Language Subtitling - though mine comes
      from teaching foreign languages. Swiss and French TV have offered
      optional SLS on some films for years for deaf people, actually.

      But as to SLS geared towards literacy, Joel Josephson's
      www.kindersite.org offers very inventive products. May be they are
      more voiced texts than subtitled stories: anyrate: you have a cartoon
      telling a story, and you have the text of the story at the bottom,
      then the text tells you to click on an object for the story to carry
      on.

      OK, Kindersite and its content are geared to pre-school kids. Adults
      will probably enjoy the activities too. I'm less sure about
      adolescents who may feel "too old for that baby stuff" ;-)

      Cheers

      Claude

      Claude Almansi
      claude.almansi@b...
      www.adisi.ch

      WWWEDU, The Web and Education Mailing ListTo access the archive,
      please visit the list homepage:
      http://edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html
      access the archive, please visit the list homepage:
      http://edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      --- End forwarded message ---