Halfway through the Literacy Decade!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2008
      Time flies and we're already beginning the sixth year of the U.N.
      Literacy Decade!

      As far as the purpose of this group goes, I hope it has helped serve
      to raise the level of awareness of multilingual literacy, even if only
      in a very small way so far.

      I also hope that we can give more attention to the topic in the second
      half of the Decade. This year, being the International Year of
      Languages, would seem to be an ideal time to redouble efforts to raise
      the issues, and increase awareness and discussion of them.

      It is worth underscoring the fact that increasing literacy is not a
      given. As I'll point out in my next posting, it may actually be
      increasing in some places. The very notion that in the 21st century,
      and midway through the Decade, with all the resources theoretically at
      our disposal to enhance education in whatever language, there may
      actually be *more* illiteracy, is just incredible.

      As far as the content on this group, I have not had the time to devote
      to it. I hope to do better but would also appreciate input from others
      - if you see an article relating to multilingual literacy or related
      topics, please pass it on.

      Thanks for your continued membership of this group and for the work
      you are doing.