IYL 2008: Stop punishing kids for speaking mother tongue?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2007
      Whatever else does or does not happen with International Year of Langauges
      2008, it would be a success if it could achieve even this one result: That
      children are no longer beaten, shamed, or otherwise punished for speaking
      their mother tongue.

      Whatever this means for curricula or teaching methods is secondary - i.e.,
      adapt to the learning approaches to the linguistic realities.

      Reason I bring this up is that I just received a letter from a Tanzanian
      working on a project in the north of that country who mentioned this
      practice. In this case it was children who speak Maasai being told in class
      that they'd be beaten if they spoke anything other than Swahili, but similar
      approaches still exist in lots of places (substitute the languages and
      perhaps the punishment).