European Commission online consultation on multilingualism

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2007
      This is already old news but may be of interest - a survey by the
      European Commission on multilingualism (it closed on 15 Nov.).

      Commission launch consultation on multilingualism
      http://www.eblul.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=137&Itemid=1
      Wednesday, 24 October 2007

      The European Commission has launched an online consultation calling
      for people's opinion on their policy for multilingualism.

      The results from the consultation will help to contribute to the
      Commission's second Communication on Multilingualism in 2008.

      The Commission state that, "There are many languages spoken in the
      European Union; they reflect our different cultures and our identity
      and, at the same time, they serve as bridges between us. It is vital
      that we understand each other. This is why the European Commission
      promotes language learning: people who speak more languages can
      integrate more easily in another country for study or work and have
      easy access to other cultures."

      EBLUL members are encouraged to contribute and, for example, to raise
      the issue over the lack of support for lesser used languages and the
      very basic lack of linguistic rights in many member states of the EU.

      The consultation closes on the 15th November. (Eurolang 2007)