Literacy in multiple scripts -> benefits for cognition?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2007
      Is there any research to indicate that literacy in multiple scripts has
      cognitive advantages analogous to those research tells us that bilingualism
      or multilingualism has? Has that factor ever been sorted out of research on
      bilingualism among people literate in languages written in different
      scripts?

      What about people literate in different scripts used for a same language
      (there are some cases of this)?

      I am aware that some research a while back looked at parts of the brain used
      in reading Chinese characters vs. an alphabetic language (if I recall
      correctly, the former was a more balanced pattern). But this wasn't looking
      at effects of learning both scripts vs. one and not the other.

      The question is a matter of curiosity - I am not engaged in active research
      on it. There are places where prople are working actively with minority
      scripts (recently heard of a 50-year old syllabary for Bété in Côte d'Ivoire
      and an established but little-used syllabary for an English-based creole in
      Surinam - in both countries the dominant languages and the main
      orthographies for marginalized languages are Latin-based). Yet I have the
      impression that some educators, outside of Asia at least, would claim
      multiple scripts (esp. for the same language) would be confusing to
      children. On the other hand, information technology in principle can
      facilitate converting among alternative scripts and orthographies.

      TIA for any feedback.

      Don