Re: [M_L] Re: Contributing to - Wikipedia Article - "Multilingual Education"

  • Troy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 7:39 AM
      Thank you Don. Yes, the differences between Bilingual Education and
      Multilingual Education should be addressed in the article.
      Certainly people are free to edit the wiki page on their own, but
      perhaps a better way might be for us to discuss this question here,
      and after some consensus emerges I could make changes to the page.

      As for your question, it seems to me (and I welcome correction) that
      historically bilingual education programs have tended to focus on
      immigration populations where there is a single dominant language.
      Multilingual Education programs, however, tend to be situated among
      indigenous populations where there are often rich layers of
      multilingualism, including trade languages, official languages, and
      languages of neighboring ethnic communities.

      In my perception (and again, welcome alternative views) the term
      "multilingual" in MLE speaks not to the distinction with
      "bilingualism" per se, but rather with "monolingualism" where, all
      too often, the assumption of educational practice is that education
      be based in one single, dominant language. As I understand it, MLE
      challenges this assumption, and asserts that in fact, language can
      (and should) occur in one's first language.

      Other thoughts or views?

      Troy