Contributing to - Wikipedia Article - "Multilingual Education"

  • Troy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
      As many will be aware, Wikipedia is a user contributed online
      encyclopedia with content in more than 100 languages. Currently it
      has become the largest encyclopedia in the world, and with several
      hundred thousand visitors daily, Wikipedia has become an important
      part of the internet.

      While articles exist on various education topics (including
      "bilingual education"), until today, there was nothing on "MLE".
      That seemed unfortunate, so today I took the initiative to put an
      entry there. You can find it at:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_Education

      As a user-edited encyclopedia, you are invited to add content to the
      entry (actually, anyone can). Right now it is a very basic
      explanation, but with your help, this article could be enriched, and
      perhaps become a very useful tool for advocacy around the world.

      If you choose to contribute - you might want to take a brief look at
      the "five pillars" of Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
      Wikipedia:Five_pillars).

      Thank you, and hope to see your contributions to the entry!

      Troy

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2007
        Hi Troy, this is an excellent project. In looking at the article one
        question I thought could be clarified better is how multilingual
        education differs from bilingual education - is it just the obvious
        (number of languages) or are their other defining characteristics? If
        the latter then these could be more explicit.

        All the best.

        Don

        --- In Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com, Troy <troybail@...> wrote:

        > As many will be aware, Wikipedia is a user contributed online
        > encyclopedia with content in more than 100 languages. Currently it
        > has become the largest encyclopedia in the world, and with several
        > hundred thousand visitors daily, Wikipedia has become an important
        > part of the internet.
        >
        > While articles exist on various education topics (including
        > "bilingual education"), until today, there was nothing on "MLE".
        > That seemed unfortunate, so today I took the initiative to put an
        > entry there. You can find it at:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_Education
        >
        > As a user-edited encyclopedia, you are invited to add content to the
        > entry (actually, anyone can). Right now it is a very basic
        > explanation, but with your help, this article could be enriched, and
        > perhaps become a very useful tool for advocacy around the world.
        >
        > If you choose to contribute - you might want to take a brief look at
        > the "five pillars" of Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
        > Wikipedia:Five_pillars).
        >
        > Thank you, and hope to see your contributions to the entry!
        >
        > Troy

      • Troy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2007
          Thank you Don. Yes, the differences between Bilingual Education and
          Multilingual Education should be addressed in the article.
          Certainly people are free to edit the wiki page on their own, but
          perhaps a better way might be for us to discuss this question here,
          and after some consensus emerges I could make changes to the page.

          As for your question, it seems to me (and I welcome correction) that
          historically bilingual education programs have tended to focus on
          immigration populations where there is a single dominant language.
          Multilingual Education programs, however, tend to be situated among
          indigenous populations where there are often rich layers of
          multilingualism, including trade languages, official languages, and
          languages of neighboring ethnic communities.

          In my perception (and again, welcome alternative views) the term
          "multilingual" in MLE speaks not to the distinction with
          "bilingualism" per se, but rather with "monolingualism" where, all
          too often, the assumption of educational practice is that education
          be based in one single, dominant language. As I understand it, MLE
          challenges this assumption, and asserts that in fact, language can
          (and should) occur in one's first language.

          Other thoughts or views?

          Troy