Two upcoming books on child trilingualism

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2006
      FYI, two titles listed as "not yet published" from
      Multilingual-Matters (which I noticed on a visit to their site).

      Don Osborn

      ** Three Is a Crowd?: Acquiring Portuguese in a Trilingual Environment
      http://www.multilingual-matters.co.uk/multi/display.asp?k=510000000792658

      The book describes three siblings' apportioning of linguistic and
      cultural space among three languages: Portuguese, Swedish and English.
      Parallel strategies accounting for monolingual and multilingual
      language management shape a truly illuminating picture of child
      linguistic competence.

      ** Early Trilingualism: A Focus on Questions
      http://www.multilingual-matters.co.uk/multi/display.asp?k=900000000370314

      Describes how a trilingual child in the Basque Country, where Spanish
      and Basque are the languages of the community, is able to successfully
      acquire English at home through interaction with her mother. This book
      focuses on her acquisition of the form and function of English questions.