International Literacy Day, 2003

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8 10:18 AM
      Today, Sept. 8, is International Literacy Day. Here are a few web
      pages with more info:

      U.N.'s Dag Hammarskjöld Library page (has links to UN and some other
      international literacy sites)
      http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/literacy/

      International Reading Association page
      http://www.reading.org/meetings/ild/

      World Bank page (also has links)
      http://www.worldbank.org/html/extdr/ild/

      DZO
    • skyman@elm79.fsnet.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8 3:25 PM

        KOYIN keyboard ,now on sale , incorporating alphabets from English, Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and other Nigerian languages . It is accessible at  URL    http://www.konyin.com/

        Some Yoruba Digital Dictionary Projects Easily Accessible Online

        1. Awo Yoruba Dictionary at Awo Study Center Published as four PDF Documents

        2.  Yoruba Language as Spoken in Cuba and Parts of USA- Lucumi    Vocabulary

        http://www.seanet.com/~efunmoyiwa/vocab.html

        3. Yoruba-Spanish-Yoruba Dictionary

        4. Dictionary Usuel Yoruba to French

        http://www.addall.com/Browse/Detail/0320004716.html

        5. Yoruba - English - Yoruba Digital Dictionary Development by African Language Resource Council (ALRC) based at University of Pennsylvania in collaboration with Prof. Yiwola Awoyale from the University of Ilorin in Nigeria and Akin Akinlabi From Rutgers University.

        6. United States Department of Education and Dr. Arasanyin Yoruba Digital  Dictionary Development Project

        http://www2.gasou.edu/writling/other_visitors/grants.htm

        7.   Yale Center for International and Area Studies and Dr. Ore Yusuf from University of Ilorin , Nigeria working on Yoruba Digital Dictionary Project and Yoruba Linguistics.

               a)  http://www.yale.edu/ycias/scholars.htm

               b)
        http://www.yale.edu/ycias/african/ygrall/yoruba/linguistics.html

        8. Electronic Dictionaries of African Languages- European Association  For Lexicography Newsletter

        http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/euralex/newsletter/9802.html

        COMMENT: The list above is by no means exhaustive. I will not be surprised to learn that  some large mulinational companies and religious establishments already have in use Yoruba Digital Dictionaries not currently available to us all online.

          Warm Regards and Best Wishes,

          From Dr. Samuel  Kayode  Olamijulo

        Message date : Sep 08 2003, 06:23 PM
        From : Don Osborn
        To : Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com
        Copy to :
        Subject : [Multilingual_Literacy] International Literacy Day, 2003
        Today, Sept. 8, is International Literacy Day. Here are a few web
        pages with more info:

        U.N.'s Dag Hammarskj�ld Library page (has links to UN and some other

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/x3XolB/TM

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16 10:16 PM
          Thanks for this information. It would be interesting to know more
          about the links between what the French would call "informatisation"
          of the Yoruba language on one hand (which also includes projects
          based in Nigeria such as Afárá [see
          http://www.pin.itgo.com/afara/index.htm%5d and ALTI [see interview at
          http://www.uneca.org/aisi/IConnectAfrica/v1n5.htm%5d), and production &
          consumption of Yoruba reading material on the other.

          Another interesting angle that I think ICT brings to work in
          languages such as Yoruba is links with speakers in in "diaspora." In
          the particular case of Yoruba, this may have a double meaning as
          there are not only natives of Nigeria living or working elsewhere,
          but also some small communities (descended from enslaved people)
          which have retained the language in the Americas. But the more
          general case is that of individuals and families recently migrated or
          temporarily overseas - their use of ICT and use of mother tongues
          sometimes results in use of those languages on computers & internet.

          This has definite literacy implications. An example is the work in
          Dinka that Andrew mentioned in message 24.

          Don Osborn
          Bisharat.net

          PS- I will pass on the various references you supply ...

          --- In Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com, skyman@e... wrote:
          > KOYIN keyboard ,now on sale , incorporating alphabets from English,
          Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and other Nigerian languages . It is accessible
          at URL http://www.konyin.com/

          > Some Yoruba Digital Dictionary Projects Easily Accessible Online

          [ . . . ]