Reading less in Niamey...

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2003
      An article in last Friday's edition of the national daily in Niger,
      Le Sahel, had an article on how people seemed not to be reading as
      much as before, citing in part numbers from the library of a local
      cultural center. A number of possible factors were cited - including
      growing interest in the internet - but the language of publication
      was not brought up.

      This brings to mind Andrew's comments in message 24 re language of
      publishing and literacy. I assume most or all of the book collection
      at this center is in French. There is some popular literature in
      Hausa mainly from northern Nigeria - I'm personally not in a position
      to judge its quality, but in any even I would not be surprised if the
      collections in all of the few and very modest libraries here are all
      in French.

      There is not the kind of situation 'tope refers to for Yoruba in SW
      Nigeria (message 28).

      I will see if I can find someone locally to communicate a brief
      profile of literacy (such as it is, being very low) in Niger. I'm
      realizing that as an interested non-expert observer, I can't say much
      more than that the small literate population, mostly male, reads
      French, some read Arabic but not French, very few read Zarma and
      maybe a few Hausa but not French; and many of those who read French
      feel they can't or aren't comfortable reading a Nigerien language.

      It would still be interesting to have brief profiles of other
      countries' multiliteracy situations.

      Don Osborn
      Bisharat.net