Re: Cuba literacy programs in Latin America (& beyond)

  • Donald Z. Osborn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      I'd be interested to know about this Cuban model (what makes it different from
      others, how it accommodates multilingual education needs). I noted recently a
      mention of its possible use also in South Africa. In an article entitled
      "African Language for All Kids" in the the Cape Argus,* South African Education
      Minister Naledi Pandor was quoted as saying:

      "I have signed a letter of intent with my Cuban counterpart, Dr Luis Gomez,
      which included an intention to investigate South Africa's adoption and
      adaptation of a Cuban-inspired mass literacy model currently in use in
      Venezuela and New Zealand."

      Don Osborn

      * Paper URL is http://www.capeargus.co.za ; the article itself is online at
      http://allafrica.com/stories/200505180075.html