Re: CFP: Seminar on Bi- and Multilingualism & Cognition

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9 1:36 AM
      Here is an update on this conference with new detail (and some old
      detail as well), previously announced in mesage 186 (fwd from
      Linguist list)... DZO

      Date: 06-May-2005
      From: Liliana Albertazzi <liliana.albertazziunitn.it>
      Subject: Seminar on Bi- and Multilingualism and Cognition

      Seminar on Bi- and Multilingualism and Cognition
      Short Title: BML

      Date: 19-May-2005 - 21-May-2005
      Location: Bolzano, Italy
      Contact: Liliana Albertazzi
      Contact Email: liliana.albertazziunitn.it
      Meeting URL: http://www.mitteleuropafoundation.it

      Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

      Meeting Description:

      The aim of this seminar is to discuss the most recent research on
      cognitive aspects of bi- and multilingualism. Since language research
      is basically cognitive research, a cognitive theory of language is
      the most suitable theoretical framework in which to bring together
      psychology, linguistics, and bilingualism. Research has demonstrated
      that a significant amount of cognitive development results from the
      internalization of interpersonal communicative processes. Cognitive
      approaches to bi- and multilingualism attempt to find out what
      happens if these interpersonal communicative processes involve the
      use of more than one language. Earlier research studies concentrated
      on the bilingual person and the product of thinking, while recent
      trends have seemed to favour the process of thinking, focusing on
      language recall, reaction time, information processing and
      memorization, on the one hand, and social and conceptual development
      on the other. Issues reflecting these developments will be addressed
      and discussed in the seminar. Ample time will be allocated to
      discussion. The first two days will be devoted to
      presentation/discussion of the invited speakers' contributions, while
      the third one will be taken up by panel/short presentations. Power
      point presentations are encouraged. If you are interested in
      attending the workshop and/or contributing your own ideas, please
      send a mail (with a two-page abstract if you intend to give a
      presentation/panel) to the address below before April 15.

      Invited keynote speakers (confirmed):

      Ellen Bialystok (Department of Psychology, York University,
      Canada) 'Cognitive effects of bilingualism across the lifespan.'

      Ton Dijkstra (Nijmegen Institute for Cognition and Information, The
      Netherlands) 'Task and context effects in bilingual processing.'

      Istvan Kecskes (State University of New York, Albany, USA) 'Synergic
      concepts in the bilingual mind.'

      Michel Paradis (McGill University, Cognitive Neuroscience Center,
      Canada) 'The components of the bilingual cognitive system.'

      The conference will be organized by the Mitteleuropa Foundation,
      Bolzano, Portici Street, 30, Italy
      (http://www.mitteleuropafoundation.it)

      If you are interested in attending the workshop and/or contributing
      your own ideas, please send an email (with a two-page abstract in
      attachment if you intend to give a presentation/panel) to the
      secretary of Mitteleuropa Foundation, Dr. Paola Benevento
      (p.beneventomitteleuropafoundation.it) before April 15.

      Important Dates:
      Deadline for abstract submissions: April 15, 2005
      Conference: May 19-21, 2005
      Information about how to reach Bolzano are available from the
      Foundation's webpage (http://www.mitteleuropafoundation.it)

      SEMINAR ON BI- AND MULTILINGUALISM AND COGNITION

      19-21 May 2005
      Mitteleuropa Foundation, Bolzano, Italy

      Thursday 19, Morning

      8.30-9.15 Registration
      9.15-9.30 Welcome Address

      9.30-10.30 Michel Paradis (McGill University, Department of
      Linguistics)
      The components of the bilingual cognitive system. Part 1

      10.30-11.00 Coffee break

      11.00-12.00 Michel Paradis (McGill University, Department of
      Linguistics)
      The components of the bilingual cognitive system. Part 2

      Afternoon

      15.30-16.30 Ton Dijkstra (Nijmegen Institute for Cognition and
      Information)
      Task and context effects in bilingual processing. Part 1

      16.30-17.00 Coffee break

      17.00-18.00 Ton Dijkstra (Nijmegen Institute for Cognition and
      Information)
      Task and context effects in bilingual processing. Part 2

      18.30-19.00 S. Seegmiller, D. Townsend, M. Call, S. Mancini, N. Ilea
      (Montclair State University)
      Bilingual processing of English aspectual properties

      Friday 20, Morning

      9.00-10.00 Ellen Bialystok (Department of Psychology, York
      University)
      Cognitive effects of bilingualism across the lifespan: ''Children''

      10.00-10.30 Coffee break

      10.30-11.30 Ellen Bialystok (Department of Psychology, York
      University)
      Cognitive effects of bilingualism across the lifespan: ''Adulthood''

      12.00-12.30 Jerry Wong (City University of Hong Kong)
      The process of bilingual acquisition through social and conceptual
      development

      Afternoon

      15.30-16.30 Istvan Kecskes (State University of New York, Albany)
      Dual language system

      16.30-17.00 Coffee break

      17.00-18.00 Istvan Kecskes (State University of New York, Albany)
      Synergic concepts in the bilingual mind

      18.30-19.00 Jean-Marc Dewaele (School of Languages, Birkbeck,
      University of London)
      Multilinguals' language choice for inner speech

      Saturday 21, Morning

      09.00-09.30 Katrien Mondt (Department of Linguistics, Vrije
      Universiteit Brussel)
      Variables that matter: An fMRI study of bilingual children

      09.30-10.00 Franca Sulas, Dario Zanetti (Istituto di Clinica
      Neurologica Universit¨¤ di Sassari)
      Neurobiological basis of language: contribution of studies on
      bilingual aphasic patients: neurolinguistic investigation of a case

      10.00-10.30 Coffee break

      10.30-11.00 Suzanne Mallery (La Sierra University Riverside)
      Working memory and memory span in young adult bilinguals

      11.00-11.30 Rebekah Rast (The American University of Paris)
      Information processing upon first exposure to a second language

      11.30-12.00 Athanasopoulos Panos (University of Essex)
      Effects of linguistic structure on non-linguistic cognition in
      bilinguals

      12.00-12.30 Antonia Soriente (Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary
      Antropology, Jakarta)
      Cross-linguistic and cognitive factors in the acquisition of WH-
      questions in an Italian-Indonesian bilingual child

      Afternoon

      15.00-15.30 Angeliki Salamoura (University of Cambridge)
      The role of the native language on the representation of grammatical
      gender in the mental lexicon of bilinguals

      15.30-16.00 E. Andonova, A. Gosheva, A. Janyan (New Bulgarian
      University)
      Second-Language gender system affects First-Language gender
      categorization

      16.00-16.30 Anatoliy Kharkhurin (Department of Experimental
      Psychology, City University of New York)
      The influence of language proficiency and cross-cultural experience
      on bilinguals' divergent thinking abilities

      16.30-17.00 Coffee break

      17.00-17.30 K.C. Monaka, T.V. Moumakwa (University of Botswana)
      Linguistic and cognitive effects of multilingualism in Botswana: The
      case of Shekgalagarhi, a minority language

      17.30-18.00 Paola Capitani (Gruppo Semantica e Terminologia nei
      Portali, Firenze)
      Web Semantics and Terminology

      18.00-18-30 Federica Missaglia (Universita' Cattolica del Sacro
      Cuore, Milano)
      Phonetic and phonological development in 'late' early bilingualism

      18.30-19.00 Agnes M. Kovacs (S.I.S.S.A, Trieste)
      Is bilinguals'advantage in theory of mind a linguistic or an
      inhibitory benefit?

      END OF THE CONFERENCE

      --- In Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com, "Don Osborn" <dzo@b...>