"Urban Multilingualism in Europe"

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      This publication may be of interest. (Announcement reposted from the
      Linguist list). DZO

      Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:16:38 -0400 (EDT)
      From: marketing <marketing@...>
      Subject: Urban Multilingualism in Europe: Extra, Yagmur (Ed)

      Title: Urban Multilingualism in Europe
      Subtitle: Immigrant Minority Languages at Home and School
      Series Title: Multilingual Matters

      Publication Year: 2004
      Publisher: Multilingual Matters
      http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

      Book URL: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/multi/display.asp?
      isbn=1853597783

      Editor: Guus Extra, Tilburg University
      Editor: Kutlay Yagmur, Tilburg University

      Paperback: ISBN: 1853597783, Pages: 428, Price: U.K. £ 19.95

      Abstract:

      This book is the final outcome of the crossnational Multilingual
      Cities Project, carried out under the auspices of the European
      Cultural Foundation, established in Amsterdam, and coordinated by
      Babylon, Centre for Studies of the Multicultural Society, at Tilburg
      University. The book offers multidisciplinary, crossnational, and
      crosslinguistic perspectives on the status of immigrant minority
      languages at home and school in a dominant Germanic or Romance
      environment in six major multicultural cities across Europe. From
      North to South these cities are Göteborg, Hamburg, The Hague,
      Brussels, Lyon, and Madrid.

      Lingfield(s): Sociolinguistics

      Written In: English (Language Code: ENG)

      See this book announcement on our website:
      http://linguistlist.org/get-book.html?BookID=11371.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2006
        FYI, a review from last year of a title announced in late 2004 (in
        message #180 on this list). Fwd from the Linguist list... DZO

        Date: 18-May-2005
        From: Sebastian Rasinger <S.Rasinger@...>
        Subject: Urban Multilingualism in Europe

        EDITORS: Extra, Guus; Yagmur, Kutlay
        TITLE: Urban Multilingualism in Europe
        SUBTITLE: Immigrant Minority Languages at Home and School
        SERIES: Multilingual Matters 130
        PUBLISHER: Multilingual Matters
        YEAR: 2004
        Announced at http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-2498.html

        Sebastian M. Rasinger, Department of Linguistics and English
        Language, University of Sussex

        SYNOPSIS

        With immigration becoming an increasing issue in European politics,
        so does, inevitably, the issue of bilingualism. In particular with
        respect to social and cultural integration of migrants into the host
        society, the aspect of language proficiency plays an increasing role
        on political parties' agendas and in social policies alike.

        Extra and Ya?mur's book provides a profound overview of
        multilingualism throughout Europe, and considers both theoretical
        approaches and actual case-studies. The volume is divided into three
        parts: Part one approaches the theme from a multidisciplinary point
        of view and provides an overview of four perspectives relevant for
        the study of multilingualism

        Chapter 2 addresses phenomenological issues, focusing on the
        difficulties in defining central terms of the topic. In particular,
        the chapter focuses on the notions of ethnic identity and its
        relation to language.

        The third chapter focuses on demographic issues, in particular the
        difficulty of categorisation of speakers according to their ethnic
        origin, nationality, or language; a problem underlying most forms of
        censuses which include information about languages and speakers.

        Chapter four addresses the issue of language rights in both Europe
        and the rest of the world is summarised; and last, in chapter 5
        educational perspectives are outlined.

        The remaining two parts are based on results from the Multilingual
        Cities Project (henceforth MCP), a international project under the
        auspices of the European Cultural Foundation; part two summarizes
        results of six sociolinguistic case-studies of six multilingual
        cities, written by various authors. Methodologically, the project is
        based on renown work on language vitality, such as Giles et al.
        (1977) and subsequent studies.

        Lilian Nygren-Junkin provides an overview of the MCP in Gothenburg.
        In particular, Nygren-Junkin focuses on the use of languages from the
        former Yugoslavia in Swedish schools. Sabine Bühler-Otten and Sara
        Fürstenau's chapter on multilingualism in Hamburg considers primarily
        the status of so-called 'Aussiedler' ('out-settlers') - people from
        Eastern European states with German ancestry, who were granted German
        citizenship.

        Rather than focusing on a particular group (or language), Rian Aarts,
        Guus Extra and Kutlay Yagmur's chapter on The Hague takes a
        multicultural approach, and focuses on a survey investigating patens'
        need for home language instruction for their parents.

        Marc Verlot and Kaat Delrue's chapter on Brussels does not only
        consider the Dutch/French bilinguality of the city, but also provides
        an analysis of emergence of minority languages in Brussels. Case
        studies on Turkish and Polish are used as examples. Similarly, Mehmet-
        Ali Akinci and Jan Jaap De Ruiter provide an overview of the language
        situation in primary and secondary schools in Lyon.

        In the final chapter of part 2, Peter Broeder and Laura Mijares
        provide a cross-linguistic study of the eight most frequently spoken
        minority (or immigrant) languages in Madrid. Interestingly, unlike in
        the other five cities, Broeder and Mijares found that in Madrid many
        immigrant children (and parents) originate from countries where
        Spanish is also the mainstream language.

        The third part provides a cross-national outline of the language
        profiles of the languages used in the 6 cities under investigation in
        course of the Multilingual Cities Project. This final part mainly
        consists of statistical data and brief summaries of the main findings
        for the six participating cities and for 20 languages.

        EVALUATION

        It seems unlikely that a single volume could possibly address a
        complex issue such as urban multilingualism at great depth in a
        single volume; how could one possibly consider theoretical,
        methodological and political aspects, while simultaneously provide
        sufficient data to illustrate the depth of the topic in satisfactory
        detail? Although it does in fact not provide in-depth analyses, the
        volume provides an excellent overview on the topic, and comprises
        both theoretical approaches and actual case studies alike. This makes
        the volume useful as both a source for work on European
        multilingualism and multilingualism in general. The three parts of
        the book nicely complement each other, while, simultaneously, each
        part, or each chapter even, could stand for itself. Nevertheless, one
        must not forget that each chapter provides a summary of the issues
        discussed, rather than an in-depth discussion. However, the extensive
        reference section provided for each chapter (as opposed to a useless
        list at the end of the volume) allows to quickly finding relevant
        studies to refer to.

        A rather surprising aspect in this volume is the omission of examples
        from the United Kingdom. While numerous research has focused on
        multilingualism and minority languages in the British Isles - The
        1983 Linguistic Minorities Project, Edwards' study on Black English
        (1986) and her extensive research on multilingual classrooms,
        Alladina and Edwards volume on multilingualism in Britain (1991),
        Sebba's work on London Jamaican (1993), and Rampton's 1995 study on
        interaction amongst minority adolescents, to name but a few - the
        inclusion of an up-to-date study of one of the main urban centres in
        the United Kingdom, with their ethnically and linguistically diverse
        demographic structure, would have been a significant advantage, in
        particular with respect to the increasing awareness of British social
        and educational policy makers of these issues.

        The almost excessive use of tables and graphs in part three may be
        overwhelming for readers less familiar with the interpretation
        ofstatistical data in general. In fact, even the statistically versed
        reader needs time to fully understand the data provided. However,
        despite this, this part provides an extremely valuable source for
        numerical data. In fact, this part in itself can function as a first
        point of references for information of language use, and speaker
        numbers in the six cities under investigation.