Fw: Community Literacy Project of Nepal

  • Roshan Chitrakar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2004

      I thought I should make use of this medium to announce that the Community Literacy Project of Nepal (supported by DFID) is officially coming to an end on September 30, 2004 after the 5-year implementation of its innovative literacy initiatives in several communities of diverse cultures and languages.  A documentation based on stories and experiences of the practitioners linked with CLP will be retained in the institutional memory of World Education Nepal.  Some key information and knowledge-base are also available in the current CLP webpage (which will also be retained and updated by WEN) htpp://clpn.org (unfortunately for international users and fortunately for Nepali users, quite a number of our publications are in Nepali).  Efforts are being made to widen its products and processes in broader national context.  The Non Formal Education Center of the Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal, will hopefully mainstream those products and processes specifically to ensure the successful operationalisation of the literacy elements of the EFA.

      As a literacy practitioner who have had the opportunity to work in CLP as the Project Director, I and my other colleague would want to spend next few months or perhaps a year researching participants' meaning, impact of the project in the communities (most of which are affected by the on-going conflict and insurgency) and publishing a book.  We will be seeking the support of interested publishers or other associates for this piece of work. I sincerely believe that the publication will contribute to the body of knowledge with ground breaking practical experiences of social-justice-oriented literacy initiatives that are sensitive to community people's lived socio-cultural and linguistic context and that truly respond to their every-day literacy needs.

      Your support, feedback and comments will be highly appreciated.

      Roshan Chitrakar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        Roshan, Thank you for this information and I hope this is not so much
        an ending as a beginning. The website is very informative - there was
        a typo in your letter so here is the URL again to give readers a live
        link: http://clpn.org . I'd call readers' attention to your request
        for publishers or other associates for a book on this experience.

        Please keep us up to date on your progress. All the best!

        Don Osborn
        Bisharat.net

        --- In Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com, "Roshan Chitrakar"
        <roshan@c...> wrote:

> [...]
        . . .

        > I thought I should make use of this medium to announce that the
        Community Literacy Project of Nepal (supported by DFID) is officially
        coming to an end on September 30, 2004 after the 5-year
        implementation of its innovative literacy initiatives in several
        communities of diverse cultures and languages. A documentation based
        on stories and experiences of the practitioners linked with CLP will
        be retained in the institutional memory of World Education Nepal.
        Some key information and knowledge-base are also available in the
        current CLP webpage (which will also be retained and updated by WEN)
        htpp://clpn.org (unfortunately for international users and
        fortunately for Nepali users, quite a number of our publications are
        in Nepali). Efforts are being made to widen its products and
        processes in broader national context. The Non Formal Education
        Center of the Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal, will
        hopefully mainstream those products and processes specifically to
        ensure the successful operationalisation of the literacy elements of
        the EFA.

        > As a literacy practitioner who have had the opportunity to work in
        CLP as the Project Director, I and my other colleague would want to
        spend next few months or perhaps a year researching participants'
        meaning, impact of the project in the communities (most of which are
        affected by the on-going conflict and insurgency) and publishing a
        book. We will be seeking the support of interested publishers or
        other associates for this piece of work. I sincerely believe that the
        publication will contribute to the body of knowledge with ground
        breaking practical experiences of social-justice-oriented literacy
        initiatives that are sensitive to community people's lived socio-
        cultural and linguistic context and that truly respond to their every-
        day literacy needs.

        > Your support, feedback and comments will be highly appreciated.
        >
        > Roshan Chitrakar
      • Roshan Chitrakar
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
          Thank you, Don, for correcting the typo and also for drawing reader's attention for the book project.

          Roshan

          <roshan@c...> wrote:

> [...]
          . . .