Re: [Multilingual_Literacy] Multiliteracy & pluriliteracy - opportunity to clarify terminology?

  • Donald Z. Osborn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2004
      Thank you, Rosemary. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to future
      contributions (BTW, a slight difference in the domain from which you sent the
      letter and the one in your subscription blocked your letter from appearing on
      the list).

      Given the importance of linguistic diversity worldwide, and with so many
      societies functioning multilingually (the dimensions of what that means is
      another issue), it is interesting that we seem to be at an early stage of
      formulating terms and concepts for discussing issues like literacy. But since
      that's the case, it certainly is time for some good research to move us along.

      Don Osborn
      Bisharat.net

      Quoting Rosemary Wildsmith <WildsmithR@...>:

      > Hi Don
      > I like your thinking on this and it certainly describes the South
      > African situation. If we were to differentiate between these two terms
      > then we would also need to factor in the term "multilingual" as a
      > 'boundary' term, as it were, i.e. which semantic features, if any, are
      > shared by the various terms, and in which fundamental ways do they
      > differ. There might well be material for some interesting research here
      > (and for taking the lead in defining boundaries). You have given me some
      > ideas for my postgraduate students.
      >
      > Thanks! I'll pass on anything else that I might be able to find on
      > this.
      > Rosemary Wildsmith
      >
      > Prof.Rosemary Wildsmith-Cromarty
      > School of Language, Culture & Communication
      > Applied Language Studies
      > TEL: 033 260 5845
      > FAX: 033 260 6213
      > E.Mail: Wildsmithr@...

      > It seems that there are two terms in English that can mean literacy
      > in more than one language: multiliteracy and pluriliteracy.

      . . .