Re: Bilingualism May Keep the Mind Young

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2004
      FYI, another source for this item.. DZO

      Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:00:41 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Ananda Lima <s361046@...>
      Subject: Bilingualism Beneficial to the Brains of Elderly

      New Scientist Magazine (in Australia, vol 182 issue 2452 - 19 June
      2004, page 17) has a short news article on a study which revealed
      benefits of bilingualism for the brains of elderly people.

      This can be found at (I believe subscription to the magazine is
      required):

      http://archive.newscientist.com/secure/article/article.jsp

      The article reports on a study published by Ellen Biaslystok and
      colleagues in "Pshychology and Aging", volume 19, p 290.

      Ananda Lima

      --- In Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Z. Osborn"

      l@u...>, "enable@yahoogroups.com"
      > <enable@yahoogroups.com>
      >
      > Bilingualism May Keep the Mind Young
      >
      > Knowing Two Languages May Slow Effects of Aging on the Mind
      >
      > By Jennifer Warner
      > WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
      > on Monday, June 14, 2004
      >

      > June 14, 2004 -- Two languages may be better than one when it comes
      to keeping
      > the mind young. A new study shows that being fluent in two
      languages may help
      > prevent some of the effects of aging on brain function.
      >
      > Researchers found that people who were bilingual most of their
      lives were better
      > able to stay focused on a task amidst a rapidly changing
      environment compared
      > with people who only spoke one language.
      >
      > The ability to keep one's attention on a task is known as fluid
      intelligence,
      > and it is one of the first aspects of brain function to deteriorate
      as people
      > get older.

      > SOURCES: Bialystock, E. Psychology and Aging, June 2004; vol 19: pp
      290-303. News release, American Psychological Association

      > http://my.webmd.com/content/article/88/100087.htm?
      z=1728_00000_1000_nb_04