"ISB5" - 5th International Symposium on Biligualism

  • Donald Z. Osborn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2004
      FYI... (from the Linguist list) DZO

      Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 05:31:29 -0400 (EDT)
      From: melissa.moyer <melissa.moyer@...>
      Subject: 5th International Symposium on Biligualism

      5th International Symposium on Biligualism
      Short Title: ISB5

      Date: 20-Mar-2005 - 23-Mar-2005
      Location: Barcelona, Spain, Spain
      Contact: Melissa Moyer
      Contact Email: isb5@...
      Meeting URL: http://isb5.uab.es

      Linguistic Sub-field: General Linguistics

      Call Deadline: 15-Sep-2004

      Meeting Description:

      The 5th International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB5) will be organized in
      Barcelona (Spain) by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in collaboration
      with the Universitat Pompeu Fabra and the Universitat de Barcelona. This forum
      includes all areas of language and linguistics related to the field of
      Bilingualism. For further information contact isb@... or check the web
      http://isb5.uab.es

      Abstracts are invited in English, Catalan, and Spanish on any topic related to
      the field of bilingualism. The deadline for submission is September 15, 2004.
      Detailed instructions on abstract submittal are provided on the ISB5 web page
      http://isb5.uab.es

      Abstracts for participation in ISB5 in Barcelona can be submitted as:
      panel session (4-6 papers per panel)
      paper session
      poster session
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2004
        FYI, another notice on ISB5... DZO

        Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:15:06 -0400 (EDT)
        From: helmut.daller <helmut.daller@...>

        Date: 20-Mar-2005 - 23-Mar-2005
        Location: Barcelona, Spain
        Contact: Melissa Moyer
        Contact Email: isb5@...
        Meeting URL: http://isb5.uab.es

        Linguistic Sub-field: General
        Linguistics

        Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2004

        Meeting Description:

        The 5th International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB5) will be
        organized in Barcelona (Spain) by the Universitat Aut¨®noma de
        Barcelona in collaboration with the Universitat Pompeu Fabra and the
        Universitat de Barcelona. This forum includes all areas of language
        and linguistics related to the field of Bilingualism. For further
        information contact isb@... or check the web http://isb5.uab.es

        CALL FOR PAPERS

        COLLOQUIUM ON THE MEASUREMENT OF BILINGUAL PROFICIENCY ACROSS TWO
        LANGUAGES: METHODOLOGICAL ASPECTS

        At the 5th International Symposium on Bilingualism (March 20 -
        23,2005 Barcelona, see also http://isb5.uab.es)

        Convenor: Helmut Daller (University of the West of England, Bristol)

        Please contact helmut.daller@... if you are interested in
        presenting a paper at this colloquium.

        The focus of this colloquium will be on methodological issues when
        comparing different measures of language proficiency across languages
        with structural differences. Many studies on bilingual language
        proficiency focus only on one language. This is a serious
        methodological flaw since the complexity of bilingual proficiency is
        not taken into account. The proposed colloquium will bring together
        researcher who will contribute towards a better understanding of what
        Grosjean (1997: 165) has called the complementarity principle: the
        fact that bilinguals use their languages for different purposes and
        in different domains of life. Therefore both languages have to be
        taken into account. However, research on immigrant bilinguals in
        Europe face the challenge that the language pairs under investigation
        show large structural differences in many cases (e.g. French/ Arabic,
        Dutch/Turkish, Russian/German and other pairs). How can we make sure
        that the measures of proficiency in these language pairs are
        comparable? We invite contributions of researchers who address this
        problem in their work, be it within quantitative or qualitative
        research frameworks.

        Grosjean, F. (1997) The bilingual individual. Interpreting:
        International Journal of Research and Practice in Interpreting,
        (1/2), 163 -187.

        --- In Multilingual_Literacy@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Z. Osborn"

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2004
          Here's yet another announcement on ISB5 (previous ones on this list
          were message nos. 101 & 108). Note the extended deadline (9-25).

          It will be interesting to know how the conference - with its theme of
          measuring language proficiency of bilinguals - considers measurements
          of literacy among multi/biliterate people.

          DZO

          Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:03:27 -0400 (EDT)
          From: helmut.daller <helmut.daller@...>
          Subject: 5th International Symposium on Bilingualism

          Date: 20-Mar-2005 - 23-Mar-2005
          Location: Barcelona, Spain
          Contact: Melissa Moyer
          Contact Email: isb5@...
          Meeting URL: http://isb5.uab.es

          Linguistic Sub-field: General Linguistics

          Call Deadline: 25-Sep-2004

          Meeting Description:

          The 5th International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB5) will be
          organized in Barcelona (Spain) by the Universitat Aut¨°noma de
          Barcelona in collaboration with the Universitat Pompeu Fabra and the
          Universitat de Barcelona. This forum includes all areas of language
          and linguistics related to the field of Bilingualism. For further
          information contact isb@... or check the web http://isb5.uab.es

          CALL FOR PAPERS

          COLLOQUIUM ON THE MEASUREMENT OF BILINGUAL PROFICIENCY ACROSS TWO
          LANGUAGES: METHODOLOGICAL ASPECTS

          At the 5th International Symposium on Bilingualism (March 20 - 23,
          2005 Barcelona, see also http://isb5.uab.es)

          Convenor: Helmut Daller and Jeanine Treffers-Daller (both University
          of the West of England, Bristol)

          Please contact helmut.daller@... or
          Jeanine.Treffers-Daller@... if you are interested in presenting