Banga Samelan Flyer for NABC - July 4-6 at LA

  • Samprakash Majumdar
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 31, 2003
      New Page 1
      Dear Coordinator/Mderator, Kindly arrange to circulate this Banga Sammelan 2003 Flyer.
      Thanks/Regards
      Samprakash Majumdar

      Ref: 23rd North American Bengali Conference
      Long Beach Convention Center, Los Angeles, Ca
      July 4-6, 2003

      Dear   Bengali Community Leaders,

      The US overseas Bengali community is organizing "Banga Sammelan 2003" at Long Beach Convention Center, in Los Angeles, California from July 4th to July 6 >th 2003. As one of the sole sources of Bengali culture for many in this country, Banga Sammelan 2003 humbly requests the presence of you and your group in this Conference.

      Here is attached latest Banga Sammelan  flyer. (This is tentative program summary, and may be changed/updated as time goes). Please visit: www.nabc2003.org for more details.

      Please register early in the attached registration form (if you have not already registered) to save and to avoid disappointments because we have very limited space. The registration will go higher again very soon. (Please, make check payable to NABC 2003 and mail the registration form along with the check to: NABC2003, 528 Via Del Monte, Palos Verdes Estates - CA 90274).

      We wonder, if we could request you to please forward it to the Bengali friends in your area. We thank you in advance for assisting us with the daunting task of NABC 2003 marketing.

      We encourage business promotion in our Business Seminars. There is room for Corporate Booths in the main lobby of the Long Beach Convention Center and also, room for advertisements too. We are accepting proposals for Bengali IT related Seminars.

      We look forward to welcoming you in Banga Sammelan 2003  on July 4 to 6 in LA .

      Regards.

      Samprakash Majumdar
      Chairman, NABC2003 Committee
      (310) 791 0026

      Proud Grand Sponsor of NABC 2003
      Look for Special Phone & Travel Deals at Banga Sammelan

      We strongly believe that you and the members of your organization can make this Banga Sammelan a grand success. In this effort, please enrich us with your thoughts and suggestions. Email Contact: contact@...

      (Please let us know if you would not like to receive our mail. Also, please  let us know if anyone would like to include their names in our Banga Sammelan  2003 mailing list)

      [MK]
    • Sony Vivas
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 31, 2003
        THIS WAR IS NOT WORKING

        April 1, 2003

        By Peter Arnett

        I am still in shock and awe at being fired. There is enormous sensitivity
        within the US government to reports coming out from Baghdad.

        They don't want credible news organisations reporting from here because it
        presents them with enormous problems.

        I reported on the original bombing for NBC and we were half a mile away from
        those massive explosions. Now I am really shocked that I am no longer
        reporting this story for the US and awed by the fact that it actually
        happened.

        That overnight my successful NBC reporting career was turned to ashes. And
        why?

        Because I stated the obvious to Iraqi television; that the US war timetable
        has fallen by the wayside.

        I have made those comments to television stations around the world and now
        I'm making them again in the Daily Mirror.

        I'm not angry. I'm not crying. But I'm also awed by this media phenomenon.

        The right-wing media and politicians are looking for any opportunity to be
        critical of the reporters who are here, whatever their nationality. I made
        the misjudgment which gave them the opportunity to do so.

        I gave an impromptu interview to Iraqi television feeling that after four
        months of interviewing hundreds of them it was only professional courtesy to
        give them a few comments.

        That was my Waterloo - bang!

        I have not yet decided what to do, whether to pack my bags and leave Baghdad
        or stay on.

        I'll decide what to do today, right now I'm chewing on what has happened to
        me.

        But whatever happens I will never stop reporting on the truth of this war
        whether I am in Baghdad or somewhere else in the Middle East - or even back
        in Washington.

        I was here in 1991 and the bombing is very similar to that conflict but the
        reality is very different.

        The US and British want to come here, take over the city, upturn the
        government and take us through to a new era. The troops are in the country
        and fighting there way up here. It creates a very different atmosphere.

        The Ba'ath party, currently led by Saddam Hussein, has been in power for 34
        years. Tariq Aziz told me the US will have to brainwash 25 million Iraqis
        because these people think exactly the same as Saddam does.

        Maybe he is wrong, maybe not.

        For months, Iraqis have said officially and privately: "We will fight the
        Americans, we will use guerrilla tactics, we will surprise them."

        But the Iraqi opposition has said: "This will be a pushover, everyone wants
        to rebel against Saddam."

        Now the reality is being played out on the battlefield.

        We have to watch the reality now and some Iraqis are fighting and the
        government does seem very determined. For me to see that and to be
        criticised for saying the obvious is unfair.

        But it has made me a target for my critics in the States who accuse me of
        giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

        I don't want to give aid and comfort to the enemy - I just want to be able
        to tell the truth.

        I came to Baghdad with my crew because the Iraqi side needs to be heard too.

        It is clear the original timetable that America would be in Baghdad by the
        end of March has fallen by the wayside.

        There is clearly debate in the US about this, reinforcements are being sent
        in and there are delays.

        This doesn't mean it is going badly. Every casualty is a loss but they have
        been in limited numbers so far.

        Every night and every day I hear the B-52s and the missiles hammering the
        defences Baghdad.

        Just like in Afghanistan and Vietnam, the US is bringing enormous firepower
        to bear which it believes will grind the Iraqis down. I have seen it before
        and it has been enormously effective. The US optimism is justified.

        On the other hand, at what cost to civilians ?

        During the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, I entered a US-held town which had been
        totally destroyed.

        The Viet Cong had taken over and were threatening the commander's building
        so he called down an artillery strike which killed many of his own men.

        The Major with us asked: "How could this happen?" A soldier replied: "Sir,
        we had to destroy the town to save it."

        The Bush and Blair administration does not want that label stuck on this
        war, it is a liberation for them. But the problem is US Marines at
        checkpoints are suspicious of every man, woman and child because of the
        suicide bomb.

        Already there is suspicion growing.

        And in the south, there have not been popular rebellions and uprisings. As
        the battle for Baghdad grows, the potential for civilian casualties grows.

        This is the spectre rising as this war continues. The US and Britain have to
        figure this out.

        I don't think you can tell how it will end, there are many scenarios. A
        siege of Baghdad... a special operations strike on Saddam. Optimists in the
        Pentagon talk about an internal coup.

        Who would have had believed Umm Qasr would hold out for six days or US
        Marines directing traffic would be killed by a suicide bomber? This is more
        like the West Bank and Gaza and it could become like that in some areas.

        The US and Britain must avoid that scenario.

        Forces come in, communities resist, then suicide bombing and resistance from
        guerrillas.

        Except the Iraqis will be putting up a stiffer fight than the Palestinians
        because they are better armed.

        We know the world, including many Americans, is ambivalent about this war
        and I think it is essential to be here.

        I'm not here to be a superstar. I have been there in 1991 and could never be
        bigger than that.

        Some reporters make judgements but that is not my style. I present both
        sides and report what I see with my own eyes.

        I don't blame NBC for their decision because they came under great
        commercial pressure from the outside.

        And I certainly don't believe the White House was responsible for my
        sacking.

        But I want to tell the story as best as I can, which makes it so
        disappointing to be fired.

        The Mirror, April 1, 2003

        [MK]