Mahathir predicts 'liar' Bush's victory

  • kazisabbir
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
      Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/10/20/d41020130999.htm

      Mahathir predicts 'liar' Bush's victory
      AFP, Kuala Lumpur

      Former Malaysian premier Mahathir Mohamad, in remarks published
      Tuesday, predicted US President George W. Bush would win the November
      2 election because Americans were "very ignorant" people and would
      "accept a liar".

      Mahathir, who retired last October after 22 years in power, told The
      Star in an interview that the US electorate "appears to be willing to
      accept a person who told a blatant lie and to elect a liar as their
      president.

      "The American people are, by and large, very ignorant and know nothing
      about the rest of the world. They think that America is the world," he
      said.

      "They will accept a liar. They will accept (British Prime Minister
      Tony) Blair and I am sure they will accept Bush. They have already
      accepted (Australian Prime Minister John) Howard who told a blatant lie."
    • bonkim2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        Replying to:

        --- In MuktoChinta@yahoogroups.com, "kazisabbir" <kazisabbir@y...>
        wrote praising Malaysia's ex-Prime Minister Mahathir and denigrating
        Bush and Blair.

        I am not so sure Mahathir is such a wise old owl to pass judgement on
        Bush and Blair. His own record in office is that of a racist dictator
        who thought little before persecuting the Chinese and Indian
        minorities in Malaysia and also lining the pockets of his cronies and
        family.

        His treatment of the tribal minorities is particularly shameful and
        parts of Sabah/Sarawak are treated much as colonies by Peninsular
        Malaysians who plunder the natural wood and and destroying the
        ecosystem there. So I am not sure Mahathir or Malaysia are examples
        of just states for others to follow - no matter Bush and Blair are
        liars - in the least we have freedom to say so - but not in Malaysia -
        where people criticising Mahthir were sent to prison.

        Is it the pot calling the kettle black??

        Bonkim