Let's keep up the interest and chatter about MSBP (or whatever it's new name)

  • clearskyken
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
      I guess the subject line says it all... I'd like to see some on-going discussion, especially from the planning committee on the thoughts for next years MBSP.
      My wife and I need to lock-in our vacation dates at the first of the year, so some advance info on what's in store for MBSP 2010 is appreciated.
      We sure missed attending this year's MBSP, but without camping and the comraderie that goes on thoughout the day, we had to back out this year.
      We're really looking forward to MBSP getting back on track next year.
      So let's hear what the current thoughts are... we need to keep this forum alive and active.

      Thanks, Ken
    • observatory@sunrivernaturecenter.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        I agree, we should discuss this more. This past years MBSP was a interesting event. It turned into something different and it worked. I have gotten some positive feedback and some negative feedback from this past year.

        However, I think the group has made it very clear that there is no interest in going back to Mt Bachelor.
        We will need to find a place for the event, and the support of the volunteers to make it work. If not, the event may return to the observatory.

        My question to you Ken, would you be interested in attending a event that does NOT have camping on site, if you knew of locations locally and can plan ahead?
        Or does the no camping next to your telescope make it a no go?

        As far as the daytime stuff, I think with better planning, having more events (rover races, swap meet, talks, etc) on site is very possible. I thought the raffle and BBQ went very well this year, plus plenty of door prizes ;-)

        As far as finding a new location, the group has some options there too, we will just need to weed them out.

        Bob Grossfeld- Observatory Manager

        Sunriver Nature Center & Observatory
        POB 3533, Sunriver, OR. 97707
        Ph. 541-598-4406  Fax 541-593-5207

        Inspire present and future generations to cherish and understand our natural world.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
          Hi Bob,
          For us (me and my wife), a big part of a "star party" is being able to set up our gear for the duration and be camped right next to it. Another major attraction of a true "star party" is the socializing during the day, meeting others, talking about equipment and other stuff, and generally simply hanging out.

          We don't want to pack up our stuff at the end of the observing session, move it to a secure on-site location, or pack it up in the motorhome, drive to a nearby campground in the dark, then return the next night, set up, observe and repeat the process for 3 or 4 nights in a row. There's just too much to set up and pack up.

          When you say "I think the group has made it very clear that there is no interest in going back to Mt Bachelor", do you mean the planning group or the attendees?

          Agreed, some years the weather was a negative factor at the mountain, however setting up on pavement was a major plus for the location. Even a gravel location, preferably not too far down a gravel/dirt road is a good option. Are there any sno-parks in the area that might work?

          Hope our opinions help for planning next year's event.

          Let's keep the discussion going here.

          Thanks, Ken