Re: MouthpieceWork 1 year anniversary is coming up!

  • Danny Barrett <danny_tb@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2003
      Cool!
      :-)

      Also, while I think of it, I've just been loaned a copy of a band
      instrument repair book, and it has a whole chapter on refacing
      mouthpieces. I'm still reading through it, but if I find anything
      really interesting, I'll let you all know. But I can tell from what
      it says that when I first started to alter my mouthpiece, I did
      absolutely everything wrong as far as the book is concerned! No
      wonder the mouthpiece didn't work - But I've fixed that, and it seems
      that (as far as the book is concerned), most of what I did to fix it
      was right (but it's still a little bit more difficult to play than it
      should be). Very interesting book!

      Also, I've been loaned a book on making and modifying sax and
      clarinet reeds, and it looks like it's going to be quite interesting
      too. I would be inclined to scan the books and put them into the
      files section here (I think they're out of copyright now), but I
      don't have a scanner...

      Best Regards,

      Danny

      --- In MouthpieceWork@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Bradbury
      <kwbradbury@y...>" <kwbradbury@y...> wrote:
      > Its about 2 weeks away on March 13. Time to reflect and give
      thanks!

      > We have grown steadily until we have become one of the top 3
      > Saxaphone Groups on Yahoo in terms of registered members. Since
      > membersip is not required to read our archives, files, and links,
      I'm
      > sure we have provided information to many more interested folks.
      >
      > I, for one, have learned a lot via this group. Even when I give
      > advice, the group is a sounding board that helps me to clarify my
      > thoughts (separate from those other voices in my head). When you
      > hang an idea out there, you may be only 80% sure of yourself.
      Having
      > someone chime in with "Yeah, that works for me!" validates your
      > thoughts.
      >
      > There have also been a few well known pros who have answered some
      of
      > my questions via Email. They have preferred to not to have their
      > knowledge posted publicly but have steered me, and indirectly some
      of
      > my replies to this group, in the proper direction. I thank them.
      >
      > Now that I am taking on more work for clients, I'm getting feedback
      > from other players. About 9 out of 10 have been thrilled, so I
      must
      > be doing something right. I wish it could be 10 out of 10, but
      that
      > is not possible due to several reasons (another good discussion
      > topic).

      > So in celebration of this anniversary, I want to hold a prize
      drawing
      > on March 13, 2003. I'm going to offer a free MOJO mouthpiece
      > rework! You supply the mouthpiece and get it to me. I'll rework
      it
      > and send it back to you.

      > To be eligible for the prize, you must have posted a message to the
      > MouthpieceWork forum in the last year. I'm thinking of generating
      > random message post number and we'll see who it is. Yes, this is
      > biased to those who have posted more often. But those are the
      > members who have helped to build this archive.
      >
      > I'll toss out any posts I think are not on topic. I'll see how the
      > next 2 weeks look before I decide if they will be included in the
      > MOJO lottery.
      >
      > If anyone wants to offer a 2nd or 3rd prize (or a better 1st prize)
      > let me know.
    • Alf Reid [AST VT]
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2003
                Did not realize this group started on my birthday !     Please keep up the good work guys.
                I aree with Keith,  it has been a source of inspiration .  All the info you guys supplied allowed me to compare
                my experience and theory's , even rethink some issues .

                I even started making mouthpieces using Ebony and a synthetic material.  Some good results , some mediocre but
                the effort was worth it. Just playing one off your own pieces and liking it just as much as an old favourite MPC !
                Thanks guys.

[...]

        MouthpieceWork forum in the last year.  I'm thinking of generating a
        random message post number and we'll see who it is.  Yes, this is
        biased to those who have posted more often.  But those are the
        members who have helped to build this archive.

        I'll toss out any posts I think are not on topic.  I'll see how the
        next 2 weeks look before I decide if they will be included in the
        MOJO lottery.

        If anyone wants to offer a 2nd or 3rd prize (or a better 1st prize)
        let me know.

        Got a Mouthpiece Work question?  Send it to MouthpieceWork@yahoogroups.com

        "This information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and
        may contain private, confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material and may be subject
        to confidentiality agreements.

        Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or any other use of or taking of any action in
        reliance upon this information, by persons or entities other than the intended recipient,
        is prohibited.

        If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
        storage media.

        The company is neither liable for proper, complete transmission of the information contained
        in this communication, any delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free"

      • Keith Bradbury <kwbradbury@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
          > Also, while I think of it, I've just been loaned a copy of a band
          > instrument repair book, and it has a whole chapter on refacing
          > mouthpieces.

          This sounds like the Erick Brand book. It is still available from
          Ferree's. If it is something different, be sure to let us know!
        • Keith Bradbury <kwbradbury@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
            Paul Coats sent me an Email:

            >>>Mojo: Toss in a FREE refacing from me, too. Paul

            Thanks Paul. Double the fun! You want to be eligible for winning
            each other's facing? Or, we could just trade facings some other time.
          • Mike Ruhl
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
              Can you say "collusion"? ;-)

              I guess this post doesn't qualify me for the contest...

              Mike

              >From: "Keith Bradbury <kwbradbury@...>" <kwbradbury@...>
              >To: MouthpieceWork@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [MouthpieceWork] Re: MouthpieceWork 1 year anniversary is coming
              >up!
              >Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:41:21 -0000
              >
              >Paul Coats sent me an Email:

              >Thanks Paul. Double the fun! You want to be eligible for winning
              >each other's facing? Or, we could just trade facings some other time.

            • Paul Coats
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                Yes, Keith is right.  The chapter on mouthpiece refacing (which used to be a part of a standard overhaul way back when) from the Eric Brand Repair Manual was also sold as a separate book.

                There is nothing there that is not applicable today, except for one minor thing.  Players use larger tip openings now, especially on the saxophones.  The facing length feelers of the original Eric Brand kit only went up to .050”.  Now it is necessary to have feelers up into the .090” range.  I use a .094” (2.4 mm) for my largest gauge, as well as .077” (2 mm),  .063” (1.6 mm).

                But as for the rest, this manual is an excellent resource.

                Paul

                "Keith Bradbury  " wrote:

                 > Also, while I think of it, I've just been loaned a copy of a band
                > instrument repair book, and it has a whole chapter on refacing
                > mouthpieces.

                This sounds like the Erick Brand book.  It is still available from
                Ferree's.  If it is something different, be sure to let us know!

                Got a Mouthpiece Work question?  Send it to MouthpieceWork@yahoogroups.com

                Link to Paul's articles from Home page of "Sax on the Web":

                  http://www.saxontheweb.net

                or directly to Paul's articles at:

                  http://www.saxontheweb.net/Coats/

                Listen to Paul's MP3's at:

                                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tenorman1952

                and view photos.

              • Paul Coats
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                  No, I would rather see some of the others have the fun… maybe I can come up with some other  goodies?

                  Thanks,

                  Paul

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                      Now you've stumped me... I ahven't even looked at the author's name,
                      and I've taken very little notice of the title (not enough to
                      remember it). However, it does talk about Eric Brand's refacing
                      tools, etc.

                      DB

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                        Thanks. Great info. Where do you get the larger feeler guages. I've
                        been meaning to get some scrap sheet metal and make some feelers of
                        whatever thickness they happen to be, but unfortunately I've been too
                        busy for my own good.
                        :-(

                        DB

                        --- In MouthpieceWork@yahoogroups.com, Paul Coats <tenorman@t...>
                        wrote:
                        > Yes, Keith is right. The chapter on mouthpiece refacing (which
                        used to
                        > be a part of a standard overhaul way back when) from the Eric Brand
                        > Repair Manual was also sold as a separate book.
                        >
                        > There is nothing there that is not applicable today, except for one
                        > minor thing. Players use larger tip openings now, especially on the
                        > saxophones. The facing length feelers of the original Eric Brand
                        kit
                        > only went up to .050". Now it is necessary to have feelers up into
                        the
                        > .090" range. I use a .094" (2.4 mm) for my largest gauge, as well
                        as
                        > .077" (2 mm), .063" (1.6 mm).
                        >
                        > But as for the rest, this manual is an excellent resource.
                        >
                        > Paul
                        >

                        > "Keith Bradbury " wrote:
                        >
                        > > > Also, while I think of it, I've just been loaned a copy of a
                        band
                        > > > instrument repair book, and it has a whole chapter on refacing
                        > > > mouthpieces.
                        > >
                        > > This sounds like the Erick Brand book. It is still available from
                        > > Ferree's. If it is something different, be sure to let us know!
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        >

                        > > Got a Mouthpiece Work question? Send it to
                        > > MouthpieceWork@yahoogroups.com

                        see
                        > > the Files, Photos and Bookmarks relating to Mouthpiece Work.
                        > >
                        > > To see and modify your groups, go to
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

                        Service.

                        > --
                        > Link to Paul's articles from Home page of "Sax on the Web":
                        >
                        > http://www.saxontheweb.net
                        >
                        > or directly to Paul's articles at:
                        >
                        > http://www.saxontheweb.net/Coats/
                        >
                        > Listen to Paul's MP3's at:
                        >
                        > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tenorman1952
                        >
                        > and view photos.
                      • Keith Bradbury
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                          Making your own feeler guages is not a good idea. Shop around a little and
                          you can find an Asian made automotive set for $6-10. Just make sure it has
                          a .0015" feeler in it. Standard sets stop around .035" so you can consider
                          making your own larger ones.

                          For the larger sizes, I have not found a great solution. I currently have
                          several of the smaller sizes taped together on the ends with electrical
                          tape. I then measured the actual thickness with digital calipers and wrote
                          the thickness on the set. I had to buy 2 sets of feelers to have enough to
                          tape together for a dedicated size. There is a risk that set will shift
                          and warp over time, so you need to re-measure them so you know what you are
                          working with.

                          Guage blocks come in larger thicknesses. But they are not in the feeler
                          guage shape. I'm considering some way to mount guage blocks within a
                          notched out spare feeler guages.

                          The plating is thin on the sets I'm using and they are starting to show
                          some corrosion spots. I recently purchased a couple of sets of stainless
                          steel feeler guages from McMaster-Carr. But I have not switched over to
                          them yet.

                          Getting the larger sizes custom made at a machine shop may be the only way
                          to get really good ones. Precision ground stainless steel would be the way
                          to go. Maybe we could group together to get the quantity up and the price
                          lower? I'm looking for 5-7 sizes between .045" and .140".

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                        • Toby
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                            Hi Keith,

                            As a stopgap measure why not epoxy the gauges together rather than taping them? Wouldn't there be less chance of their shifting that way?

                            Toby

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                              I'm considering using epoxy or cy glue with my new sets of stainless steel
                              feelers.

                              BTW, even name brand feelers vary by .0005". You should check yours in the
                              area where you will be measuring with calipers or a micrometer. If it is
                              off by that much from the left to right rail, your work will be flawed by
                              that much. Its not huge, but you should minimize the errors you can.

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                            • Paul Coats
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                                The 9 piece feeler set I use are included with the kit from Madison Enterprises (John Winslow).  No need to make from scrap metal... these are standard available sizes sizes.  There is also in the kit, .0015", .010", .014", .024", .031", .048", in addition to the three sizes I mentioned previously.

                                Paul

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 13, 2003
                                  I generated several random numbers falling within 1 and 808. I then
                                  looked up the message posted on the Mouthpiece Work Group with that
                                  number. If the poster was Paul Coats or myself, I went to next
                                  number on my list. I had to do this several times since Paul and I
                                  have posted a lot.

                                  The winning message number for a free reface from me is: 244 posted
                                  by "Allen Moon" 7/16/02.

                                  The winning message number for a free reface from Paul Coats is: 641
                                  posted by "Toby" 12/18/02.

                                  I hope these winner will value these prizes in the spirit they were
                                  intended. Contact us via Email or a post to discuss the logistics of
                                  claiming your prize.
                                • Paul Coats

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 14, 2003
                                      Allan Moon has declined the reface prize. He is no longer a member
                                      of this group, but I did not state that you needed to be active.

                                      The next number drawn is 78 which corresponds to a message posted by
                                      Phil Barone on 3/21/02. So Phil, let me know if you would like to
                                      accept or decline a reface by me. Either way, you're a winner! I'll
                                      just keep pulling numbers until we get an acceptance.
                                    • Keith Bradbury
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 19, 2003
                                        I'm still trying to award this reface. The problem is some of the
                                        winners are no longer member and/or do not read regularly. So after
                                        a few days, I'll just post another number.

                                        I'm now looking for the poster of message #56, "tilemakerpro" from
                                        3/18/02, 1 year ago.
                                      • Keith Bradbury
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 19, 2003
                                          We have a winner who accepted!!! David got back to me in just a few
                                          hours. I'm glad he kept his old Email address.