Welcome!

  • kwbradbury
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2002
      Have you ever tried to find information on mouthpiece making or
      refacing? Until now you've been pretty much on your own. It is such
      a niche field that very little has been written down to help you get
      started or to help refine your skills. Pros working in the field are
      usually too busy working on pieces or they regard their methods as
      trade secrets. I think there is plenty of work to go around and we
      need to communicate to elevate the art and science of mouthpiece work.

      It is my hope that we will accumulate files and photos pertaining to
      mouthpiece work. I look forward to an active forum where we can
      share our ideas and experiences.

      I have decided to start the group as open to the public and
      unmoderated. I belong to some good groups set up this way. If we
      have problems in the future, I'll consider changing it.

      Welcome. Start by posting your level of activity and interest.

      MojoBari
    • billmecca
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13, 2002
        Very cool idea Mojo,

        I have thought about tinkering a bit, but haven't the time to chase
        down the needed info. if I can find it all in one place it will ease
        that trouble, then it will be finding the time ;-) (4 kids etc etc
        doesn't leave much huh?)

        I have a Jumbo Java T45, that I would like to just clean up a bit, a
        few nicks on the inside of the side rails, and I've thought about
        experimenting with making it a Deep V . maybe open the tip a bit as
        well...

        --- In MouthpieceWork@y..., "kwbradbury" <kwbradbury@y...> wrote:
        > Have you ever tried to find information on mouthpiece making or
        > refacing? Until now you've been pretty much on your own. It is
        such
        > a niche field that very little has been written down to help you
        get
        > started or to help refine your skills. Pros working in the field
        are
        > usually too busy working on pieces or they regard their methods as
        > trade secrets. I think there is plenty of work to go around and
        we
        > need to communicate to elevate the art and science of mouthpiece
        work.

        > It is my hope that we will accumulate files and photos pertaining
        > mouthpiece work. I look forward to an active forum where we can
        > share our ideas and experiences.
        >
        > I have decided to start the group as open to the public and
        > unmoderated. I belong to some good groups set up this way. If we
        > have problems in the future, I'll consider changing it.
        >
        > Welcome. Start by posting your level of activity and interest.
        >
        > MojoBari
      • tenorsaxx
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 13, 2002
          Hi,

          Thanks Keith for setting up this group!

          I'm mainly a tenor player, and for the last 3 years have played on
          pieces either customized by myself or Jon Van Wie, whom I highly
          recommend by the way. I play both rollover-baffle pieces and
          straight - angled ledge baffle pieces (like Dukoff), and find places
          for both in my playing. My mouthpiece experience includes some
          refacing, tip curve shaping, experimenting with baffle shapes, some
          chamber stuff, some inner side wall stuff. I've tried the "bullet-
          chamber" shape and like the loudness, but can't get the vibrato and
          tone I like yet. I was inspired to start working on my own
          mouthpieces after experimenting with an unsatisfactory piece that
          had "mini-tracks" built into the baffle. Many thanks to JVW for
          his help with understanding the role of various mouthpiece parameters.

          Over and out,
          Ken Barry
          kb@...
        • STEVE GOODSON
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2002
            Thanks, Keith! This is one area that I'm really anxious to learn more about. I've gotten hands on instruction from Santy Runyon, Paul Coats, and Ron Cohelo, and have corresponded at length with Jon Van Wie (who does all of my personal mouthpieces) and Bob Ackerman. I've got all of the tools, but never seemed to be able to develop the "chops" necessary to do great refacing. I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from others.

            STEVE GOODSON
            New Orleans
            www.saxgourmet.com
            (504) 895-6859 M-Th 10 - 3; Fr 10 - noon

            Steve endorses and uses UNISON saxophones;
            RUNYON mouthpieces; MASTERPIECE
            necks; HORN DOCTOR key clamps;
            MUSICMEDIC repair kits; and ED MYERS
            repair tools.
          • philbarone2002
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 14, 2002
              Bill, I suggest you don't work on your primary mouthpiece; not even
              just cleaning it up. It can really mess you up. Phil Barone

            • tenorman@teche.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 14, 2002
                Certainly right on the mark, Phil!  That is why I suggested we do as is suggested by John Winslow, and use some student model pieces, inexpensive, yet good players to start with.  Then experiment to find our for ourselves what change has what effect.  Constant working and playing is the only way to learn this.

                I turned a lot of good mouthpieces into junk before I started to get some results.  But this was working in a vacuum... no internet help 30 years ago.

                Paul

                philbarone2002 wrote:

                 Bill, I suggest you don't work on your primary mouthpiece; not even
                just cleaning it up.  It can really mess you up. Phil Barone

                --- In MouthpieceWork@y..., "billmecca" <bill@b...> wrote:
                > Very cool idea Mojo,
                >
                > I have thought about tinkering a bit, but haven't the time to chase
                > down the needed info. if I can find it all in one place it will
                ease
                > that trouble, then it will be finding the time ;-) (4 kids etc etc
                > doesn't leave much huh?)
                >
                > I have a Jumbo Java T45, that I would like to just clean up a bit,
                > few nicks on the inside of the side rails, and I've thought about
                > experimenting with making it a Deep V . maybe open the tip a bit as
                > well...
                >

                > --- In MouthpieceWork@y..., "kwbradbury" <kwbradbury@y...> wrote:
                > > Have you ever tried to find information on mouthpiece making or
                > > refacing?  Until now you've been pretty much on your own.  It is
                > such
                > > a niche field that very little has been written down to help you
                > get
                > > started or to help refine your skills.  Pros working in the field
                > are
                > > usually too busy working on pieces or they regard their methods
                as
                > > trade secrets.   I think there is plenty of work to go around and
                > we
                > > need to communicate to elevate the art and science of mouthpiece
                > work.
                > >
                > > It is my hope that we will accumulate files and photos pertaining
                > > mouthpiece work.  I look forward to an active forum where we can
                > > share our ideas and experiences.
                > >
                > > I have decided to start the group as open to the public and
                > > unmoderated.   I belong to some good groups set up this way.  If
                we
                > > have problems in the future, I'll consider changing it.
                > >
                > > Welcome.  Start by posting your level of activity and interest.
                > >
                > > MojoBari

                Link to Paul's articles from Home page of "Sax on the Web":

                  http://www.saxontheweb.net

                or directly to Paul's articles at:

                  http://www.saxontheweb.net/Coats/

                Listen to Paul's MP3 samples at:

                  http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tenorman1952

                and click Paul's MP3's.

              • Phil Barone
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 14, 2002
                  Paul, something we overlook also is that the chamber reigns king over the facing when it comes to importance in changing the sound.  Facings are a good start but knowing your chamber work is what seperates the men from the boys. Phil

                                    For all your mouthpiece needs
                                         WWW.PhilBarone.com
                                     PhilBarone@...

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 15, 2002
                    Hey man, got any tips for us boys? ;-)

                    Besides just having a good eye and feel for it, how can we approach
                    chamber work? Unlike facings, it is difficult to measure what makes
                    a good chamber. Especially into the throat.

                  • VaKach@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 15, 2002
                      Yes, the chamber---they come in small, medium and large. Some are round and
                      some are square and some are even elliptical ("Guardala Fat Boy Model").
                      There are also a Double chamber and a Deep V chamber ("Rovner"). Also I
                      heard a theory, that a fluted surface (running the long way, in the chamber)
                      enhanced tone. I can't remember the name of the mpc. with the flutes. I do
                      know that there was a M.C. Gregory with a center rail.

                      I know that large chambers are for a more vintage sound and small chambers
                      are for modern EDGE sound. I think that I will play it safe and concentrate
                      on the medium chamber size.

                      I heard that the reason for square chambers is to make manufacturing easier,
                      I don't Know if this is true.

                      I am intrigued with the idea of the elliptical chamber. I might take a cheap
                      plastic mouthpiece and place it in boiling water (with a fitted wooden dowel
                      inserted in the neck bore). When the plastic becomes soft, I will try to
                      press it elliptical shaped, between two flat wood jaw caps in my precision
                      tool makers vise. I know that I will be in for some major mouthpiece table,
                      rail and facing reconstruction, but it would be worth the practice!

                      BTW, there is a molding rubber ("Facsimile") that is used in machine shops,
                      for making an impression of chamber shapes. After it has set, one can remove
                      it by pull-stretching it out of its chamber. The neat thing, is that this
                      material is so elastic, that it is guarantied to have a memory for its
                      original molded shape. The male impression is then measured with a "Optical
                      Measuring Projector." One could also take soft caliper measurements.
                      David K
                    • Phil Barone
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 15, 2002
                        Well, it gets a little complicated for this area but I'll do the best I can if you throw questions at me. Phil

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 15, 2002
                          Good Advice Phil,

                          It's not my main piece, its just sitting on the shelf, unwanted and
                          unloved ;-).