Sept. Topic of the Month: Grandparents and Education

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3 12:59 PM
      In June (with Father's Day in mind) our Topic of the Month was ...
      Fathers and Education. We discussed how involved your children's
      fathers were/are with your children's education - whether it be
      homeschooling, private or public (government) school.

      With September 9th being Grandparents Day, I thought a similar
      question might be in order. Therefore, our September Topic of the
      Month is ... How involved are your children's grandparents with their
      education?

      Discussion might include (but certainly not limited to) ...
      1) How well do your children know their maternal and paternal
      grandparents?

      2) Do you/your children live close to one or both sets of
      grandparents?
      ---- If so, do their grandparents participate in homeschooling or
      public/private school activities with your children? (If yes, can you
      elaborate?)
      --- If you/your children do not live close to their grandparents how
      often do your children get to see/visit them? What activities do your
      children do when/if they spend time with their grandparents?

      3) Also, if you personally have memories of how/what your own
      grandparents taught you and would like to share, please do...

      Jan
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5 11:16 AM
        In keeping with our September Topic of the Month: Grandparents and
        Education, I thought I would post something I wrote several years ago
        about my own Grandparents.

        A Granddaughter's Memories ... My Grandmothers

        I have my Grandma Jones' name, high hips, bad knees and her ability
        (so I've been told) to stretch a meal for as many unexpected guests
        that just happen to walk through the door right at dinner time. She
        died when I was three, but the house she left behind - the house she
        made a home - taught me much about the woman she was and the life she
        lived and loved. Yes, things have come to me from her by way of
        stories and genetics ... real and substantial nonetheless.

        I have my Grandma Crawford's strong will, determination and taste -
        much of which I acquired from actually knowing her. I was fortunate
        to have her in my life until I was thirty. She painted my
        fingernails, made clothes for me and my dolls, wrote me letters while
        I was at camp, made tiny pumpkin pies just for us kids on
        Thanksgiving, danced at my wedding and called my first born son "her
        little man". She saw me grow up. I saw her grow old. And we loved
        each other throughout the many stages of our lives.

        These were my Grandmothers ... talented, wise women ... keepers of
        the family flame. I give thanks for their good genes, their loving
        hearts and these unforgettable memories.

        A Granddaughter's Memories ... My Grandfathers

        I got my dimple, the family legacy of publishing and a "pinching bug"
        from my Grandpa Jones. Grandpa was co-owner and co-publisher of the
        Vandalia Union, a Vandalia, Illinois newspaper, for many years He was
        also friends with a pinching bug ... actually they were one and the
        same. You see, every time I sat on his lap, that darn "bug" would
        pinch me. I could even catch Grandpa in the act, see his fingers set
        to pinch, and he'd still deny that it was him. "No sir," he'd say
        smiling, "That was the pinching bug!" He could make a mean batch of
        home made ice cream, had an oscillating fan that forever oscillated,
        and was never quite the same after Grandma died.

        Grandpa Crawford was a tall, thin man. (No, I unfortunately did not
        get the "tall-thin" gene in my genetic make up) He loved westerns,
        politics and all of his many grandkids. He could debate "with the
        best of them" - sharp, quick and opinionated. I remember many a
        family holiday dinner ending with some lively political debate. I
        love discussing politics to this day! He worried about the safety of
        my eyes when I got contact lenses, was proud of me when I was elected
        cheerleader and washed dishes long before Women's Lib told him it was
        the thing to do.

        These were my grandfathers ... honorable men in a time when honor
        meant so much; capable men in their chosen careers, and loving men
        who have left me with a collection of memories I will always cherish.

        --- Jan Stover © 2000
      • Andrea Rice
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10 6:13 AM
          Jan- I love this topic! thanks for bringing it up.

          Yesterday, I chatted with a freind's father, he's a grandfather of 10
          young grandchildren, and he was telling me how much he wished he
          could go back and change how he'd raised his children- if only he
          could go back and raise them with a long term vision of helping them
          develop character and become the best people they could be, rather
          than getting them to "act right" in the moment and worrying about
          what other people thought. He has a grandparent's wisdom, I thought
          to myself, and he had finally figured out things that most people
          don't figure out until their "twilight" years. In many cultures, and
          in our own agrarian heritage, grandparents had the responsibility for
          teaching young children and instilling values and beliefs-- in giving
          them that character training and cultural training that preserves
          cultures and families. Today, we are seeing a tremendous loss of
          family structure, many children are lucky to have both parents, let
          alone a relationship with their grandparents and other relatives, as
          we've become a nomadic society, moving whenever the most money is.

          Unfortunately, many of us don't have parents that can be great
          grandparents, for many reasons that have been underminding the family
          for several generations now. Neither my parents nor my husband's
          parents are people I feel comfortable having a strong influence on my
          children. My own grandmother, however, is a wonderful influence that
          I'm grateful to have in my children's life. We live an hour away from
          her, and see her often- my children call their grandmother. I don't
          think they understand that the person they call Nana, my mother (drug
          addict and pathological liar), is really their grandmother.

          My grandmother is very supportive of our homeschooling. She reads
          stories to the kids, plays with them, teaches them to work around the
          house and help out. she "gets" what I'm doing and doesn't try to
          force them to learn things they aren't ready to learn. She often
          tells me they remind her of "kids from the "40's" back when she was a
          child. I think she means they have the freedom to remain in their
          childhood longer than many children do these days.

          Thanks for bringing up this great and important topic, Jan! I'm sorry
          I missed replying last month.

          Best,
          Andrea in Illinois

          --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <libertyjan@...>
          wrote:

          > In June (with Father's Day in mind) our Topic of the Month was ...
          > Fathers and Education. We discussed how involved your children's
          > fathers were/are with your children's education - whether it be
          > homeschooling, private or public (government) school.
          >
          > With September 9th being Grandparents Day, I thought a similar
          > question might be in order. Therefore, our September Topic of the
          > Month is ... How involved are your children's grandparents with
          their
          > education?
          >
          > Discussion might include (but certainly not limited to) ...
          > 1) How well do your children know their maternal and paternal
          > grandparents?
          >
          > 2) Do you/your children live close to one or both sets of
          > grandparents?
          > ---- If so, do their grandparents participate in homeschooling or
          > public/private school activities with your children? (If yes, can
          you
          > elaborate?)
          > --- If you/your children do not live close to their grandparents
          how
          > often do your children get to see/visit them? What activities do
          your
          > children do when/if they spend time with their grandparents?
          >
          > 3) Also, if you personally have memories of how/what your own
          > grandparents taught you and would like to share, please do...
          >
          > Jan

        • Jan
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12 12:34 PM
            Andrea wrote: ... My grandmother is very supportive of our
            homeschooling. She reads stories to the kids, plays with them,
            teaches them to work around the house and help out. she "gets" what
            I'm doing and doesn't try to force them to learn things they aren't
            ready to learn. She often tells me they remind her of "kids from
            the "40's" back when she was a child. I think she means they have the
            freedom to remain in their childhood longer than many children do
            these days.
            ---------------

            Andrea,

            I love hearing this. My parents were both very supportive of my
            decision to homeschool ... and were very involved in my sons' growing
            up years. I've mentioned before that homeschooling gave us the
            opportunity to take mini-vacations with my parents. We'd pack up,
            lessons in hand - summer, winter, spring or fall - stay a few days in
            a wonderful lodge at a state park and enjoy the time spent together,
            creating so many great memories that my boys would not have had any
            other way. And now that my parents - their grandparents - are gone,
            those memories mean all that much more to my sons and to me!

            I am also a big supporter of children enjoying/remaining in their
            childhood longer than today's schools and society find necessary. We
            grow up and old too fast to miss one minute of the beauty and wonder
            of youth and innocence!

            Jan