Re: [MothersForLiberty] Digest Number 25

  • Wendy Terry
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      Thanks, Jan. The website looks very useful.
      ~Wendy

      MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Jenn wrote:I was wondering if anyone could sugest a
      good learner for teaching my 11 year old son the Constitution and
      Bill of Rights. We have had discussions but I would like something
      more indepth to help me.

      Jenn -

      Lady Liberty's Constitution Clearing House has an educational
      resource page that offers valuable information for kids, parents,
      teachers and more. Here's the link:
      http://www.ladylibrty.com/resources_education.html

      Some of the topics/links that may be of special interest to you are:

      Cases and Materials on American Federalism
      Historical Documents: The Constitution of the U.S.
      Ideas, People, & Events in the History of Liberty
      Our Documents
      The U.S. Constitution and Fascinating Facts About It
      The U.S. Constitution Online (this link even features information
      developed for a specific age range - Constitution for Kids:
      Kindergarten through 3rd Grade and The Constitution for Kids: 8th
      through 12th Grade)

      Hope this helps Jenn,

      Jan

      "The fight for freedom needs every warm and motivated body it can
      get. Most importantly, it needs no additional 'enemies,' and ensuring
      kids have a legitimate and comprehensive civics and history education
      is crucial to both aspects." ~ Lady Liberty

      http://www.ladylibrty.com

      Wendy D. Terry
      Vice Chair, Jackson County, MO

      Yahoo! Messenger

    • Kathryn Weitzel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hey Folks,
        I was thinking alot this week about getting the
        libertarian message out to other moms. I believe that
        if mothers did a "What can Libertarianism do for MOM's
        " style OPH booths. If they contained vocal women that
        could explain just how for the Mother, Libertarianism
        really can be. Pro mother items are school choice,gun
        rights,self preserving retirements,and yes
        reproductive rights.
        When I was pregnant with my second son, Liam, I had
        a dilemma concerning the pending birth. I wanted a
        VBAC(vaginal birth after c section) birth for my
        second child. I had to go to 10 different doctors to
        find one that would just allow me to merely plan on
        having a semi natural birth. I was treated like I was
        crazy for not wanting another C-section. I could just
        imagine how many women have been bullied into having a
        c-section when they were not necessary.
        I did extensive research on my options for my second
        birth. I had facts that the cost of hospitalization is
        less from vaginal births. 9 doctors told me I was
        crazy for wasting their time because I was in essence
        putting these doctors through a job interview. Imagine
        what it would be like if we had socialized medicine?
        No at home births, massive c-sections, non opt out
        for invasive procedures (amnio testing). We need to
        reduce taxes to afford our own healthcare.

        The last hospital I found was 1.5 hours away and in
        the mtns of Jasper Ga. We were so grateful for the
        experience that we named our newborn son Liam Jasper
        after the town.
        Have an awesome weekend

        PS See this "Alice Paul"movie if you can make time
        Iron Jawed Angels
        http://www.hbo.com/films/ironjawedangels/
        Kathryn very happy to be a mom Weitzel

        Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.
        - Alexander Hamilton
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          Kathryn Weitzel <armedmom@y...> wrote See this "Alice Paul" movie if
          you can make time - Iron Jawed Angels

          Kathryn,

          I saw "Iron Jawed Angels" on HBO and it left me thinking about those
          amazing women for days. In case others haven't seen the movie, here's
          a portion of HBO's description. "IRON JAWED ANGELS recounts for a
          contemporary audience a key chapter in U.S. history: in this case,
          the struggle of suffragists who fought for the passage of the 19th
          Amendment (giving women the right to vote). Focusing on the two
          defiant women, Alice Paul (Hilary Swank) and Lucy Burns (Frances
          O'Connor), the film shows how these activists broke from the
          mainstream women's-rights movement and created a more radical wing,
          daring to push the boundaries of political protest to secure women's
          voting rights in 1920. Breathing life into the relationships between
          Paul, Burns and others, the movie makes the women feel like complete
          characters instead of one-dimensional figures from a distant past."

          What a wonderful legacy those women left us. I would consider them
          Patriots in the cause of Liberty and I think mothers would especially
          want their daughters to watch the movie and understand such an
          important part of our nation's history.

          Note: I think this movie would be an excellent teaching tool for
          homeschoolers (of an older certain age - it does have some scenes
          that might be too intense for younger children)

          P.S. Also liked your idea of a Mother's version of the OPH
          (Operation Politically Homeless) booth!

          Jan
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
            Wendy Terry <hemp4everyone@y...> wrote: Thanks, Jan. The website
            (www.ladylibrty.com)looks very useful.

            Wendy,

            Great... glad you had a chance to check it out. Here's another site
            I thought you and the other Mothers for Liberty might also find
            interesting - "BuildFreedom.com" at www.buildfreedom.com

            The site features a "Freedom Portal" (described as the gateway to
            thousands of freedom-oriented websites and the best place to start
            your freedom search!), "Libertools", Networking Opportunities, Daily
            Quotes and more.

            There's certainly a lot to take in and I've just begun to scratch the
            surface. Hope you'll all find some pertinent information here.

            Jan