intro

  • Heather Gray
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello my name is Heather. I homeschool my daughter and I have been a member of the
      FSP for two years.

      I would say I am a libertarian with a little l.

      I think the first thing that got me into libertarianism was a program on Hayek, the free
      market, and economics called The Commanding Heights. I was already a social libertarian
      (i.e. liberal *grin*) but after learning more about economics I became a fiscal libertarian.

      I look forward to discussing parenting, and educational issues as they relate to liberty.

      -Heather
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Heather Gray"
        <hsgray@m...> wrote: Hello my name is Heather. I homeschool my
        daughter.

        Welcome Heather, glad to have you join us. Just wondering how long
        you have been homeschooling and what if anything specific was your
        motivation? I homeschooled our two sons for about 9-10 years total
        after experiencing the public school system for the first two years
        of our oldest son's education. We took him out in third grade and
        were quite glad we did.

        I'm not familiar with the program "The Commanding Heights", but I
        will be sure to check it out. I'm always interested in knowing what
        brings people to libertarianism (and some eventually to the
        Libertarian Party)

        Looking forward to hearing more from you.

        Jan
      • Heather Gray
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Jan wrote:

          > --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Heather Gray"
          > <hsgray@m...> wrote: Hello my name is Heather. I homeschool my
          > daughter.
          >
          > Welcome Heather, glad to have you join us. Just wondering how longĀ
          > you have been homeschooling and what if anything specific was your
          > motivation?

          I decided to homeschool my daughter when she was one. :)

          I got into homeschooling mainly because I love to read. First I bought
          a big book describing all the private schools in Los Angeles. There
          were so many different styles to choose from - Waldorf, Traditional,
          Prep, Progressive, Religious, Open Room, etc. I started reading up on
          different educational theories. Barnes and Noble and Borders keep their
          homeschooling books next to their other educational books. Out of
          curiosity I picked up a book on homeschooling - I was inspired and
          immediately drawn to the idea. I did tons of research on the subject
          and used my findings (plus John Taylor Gatto's book Dumbing Us Down) to
          convince my husband. Lucky for me he is totally on board.

          We have looked into school situations - again out of curiosity - but
          most of what we have seen has strengthened our conviction to
          homeschool. There is one school in the area that we like but I don't
          think we want to give up our freedom and flexibility to go there.
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
            --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Heather Gray"
            <hsgray@m...> wrote: There is one school in the area that we like
            but I don't think we want to give up our freedom and flexibility to
            go there.

            Heather,

            I think freedom and flexibility are two of the things I treasured
            most about homeschooling. For example, if the boys were really into a
            subject we didn't have to stop working on it when "the bell rang"...
            and more than once I remember working on ONE project all day long.

            Also, homeschooling allowed the boys to take their lessons with them
            anywhere we might go ... so we were able to take trips with my
            parents in the middle of the week in the middle of the school year,
            and simply bring their schoolwork along with us. This provided the
            boys with a wonderful opportunity to truly know their grandparents.
            My father passed away several years ago and the many memories my sons
            have of him are priceless.

            Jan