Re: Ron Paul to be interviewed by Bill Maher

  • Jessie
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
      You can probably tell by now that I'm pretty familiar with Ron Paul
      and his platform. Anyway, if you want the short answer, if the
      Constitution doesn't allow it, he doesn't want it. In case anyone
      here is not familiar with the history of marijuana, it was perfectly
      legal at the beginning of the 20th century. Hemp was a cash crop.
      One thing that you can be assured of: Dr. Paul is NOT a fence rider.
      He will NOT change his answers based on what colleagues or lobbyists
      push him to do. Rather than looking for his announced presidential
      platform, you can research his voting record in Congress; he's firm in
      his decisions and won't hide how he stands on an issue. I found
      several interesting points at the following link:

      http://www.issues2000.org/tx/Ron_Paul_Drugs.htm

      Interestingly enough, while looking up the same information, I
      stumbled upon this quote from Dr. Paul. He was responding to a doctor
      who stated that drugs ruined his life, so they must be illegal. Ron
      Paul stood up and responded, "The fact that you can't control yourself
      does not give you the right to pass laws to control everyone else."
      You can read the whole article yourself by clicking here:

      http://www.marijuananews.com/marijuananews/cowan/representative_ron_paul_speaks_t.htm

      Anyone who has any questions regarding Dr. Paul, his stance on issues,
      or how to help with his campaign, just let me know. I'll be happy to
      answer anything I can.

      Yours in Liberty,
      Jessie

      --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, Lori Loranger <lori@...> wrote:

      > Since I was specifically looking for his stance on the drug issue,
      and was unable to find anything, I can only assume that he is trying
      to avoid this particular can of worms; I mean, a guy looking for R
      support might not want to come right out and say he has a L opinion on
      drugs...
      > While he has an impressive voting record, I need to know that he
      will not shy away from this issue.
      > -Lori
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
        Jessie wrote: I received a personal response to my last post
        regarding Dr. Paul...
        -----------

        Jessie,

        I too received a personal email regarding our posts about Ron Paul
        and responded privately, suggesting to this member that she share her
        concerns about Congressman Paul with the group and encouraged her to
        feel comfortable doing so. Civility and debate allow for the pros and
        cons of Paul's campaign to be discussed successfully.

        I believe it is in our libertarian nature (and our best interest) to
        question and debate ... so I hope the dialogue about Paul (and
        prospective LP Presidential Candidates) will continue and flourish
        here. As you point out, that's the wonderful thing about Libertarian
        groups... the Freedom to choose (and the best choices come from
        informed voters!)

        Jan
      • sharon presley
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
          I am the one whose comments were posted anonymously. However I had not intended for my message to be private. Those who know me know I am not shy about expressing my opinion. :)  I simply had a problem with my ID And password but it's fixed now. . Here is my response to Jessie's and others' comments about Ron Paul:

          I am  glad to know that Dr. Paul would be unwilling to support Federal legislation but kicking it back to the individual states does not make it any more libertarian. If anything, it makes it worse. The issue of whether abortion is murder or not is NOT a matter of state's rights.  Individual states should not be deciding what constitutes murder.  That is a larger moral issue that cannot be settled at the state (or any government) level. How can an act be murder in one state and not in another?!  So abortion would be murder in Utah but not in California?  Doesn't that strike anyone as a bit absurd?  It  would also guarantee a steady stream of women from Utah to California (except for the poorest who always suffer under government rules)

          I have taught Psychology of Women for many years and consider my knowledge of peer-reviewed research of how women react to abortions considerably more scientific and accurate than his anecdotal evidence based on his one practice. Most women (the majority are married BTW) who seek abortions do not so so frivolously. They do it out of desperation because their families are too large, they are otherwise highly stressed or other reasonable reasons. No birth control method, not even the pill, is full-proof so it is not because these women are necessarily  irresponsible. Many of them cannot take the pill for medical reasons.  I frankly doubt that his remark was even true for his practice. To insult these women by his callous remark tells me how little respect he has for women.

          I remain unconvinced that Paul is a libertarian let alone sympathetic to the plight of women. There are some issues that are nonnegotiable for me personally. Abortion is one. I will never vote for Ron Paul no matter how many issues people tell me he is good on. However I respect others' right to decide differently.

          If readers of this list are interested, they can find a libertarian philosophical basis for being pro-choice at www.alf.org under Discussion Papers.

          Sharon Presley
          National Coordinator
          Association of Libertarian Feminists
          Co-founder and former co-proprietor, Laissez Faire Books
          www.sharonpresley.com

          It's here! Your new message!
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
            Lori wrote: Since he is running as a Republican, and not as a
            Libertarian, I want to know where he stands on this issue (the drug
            war) ... and I need to know that he will not shy away from this issue.
            ---------

            Lori and all,

            Unfortunately, another victim of the War on Drugs is the Hemp
            Industry. The would-be Hemp farmer in the US has a friend in
            Congressman Paul.

            On February 13, 2007 Rep. Ron Paul introduced H.R. 1009,
            the "Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007," with nine original co-
            sponsors: Representatives Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Barney Frank (D-MA),
            Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ), Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), Dennis Kucinich (D-OH),
            Jim McDermott (D-WA), George Miller (D-CA), Pete Stark (D-CA), and
            Lynn Woolsey (D-CA).

            For more information check out:
            http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/473/ron_paul_introduces_hemp_bill_
            US_congress

            Jan
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
              Jan wrote: The would-be Hemp farmer in the US has a friend in
              Congressman Paul.For more information check out:
              http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/473/ron_paul_introduces_hemp_bill_
              US_congress

              -------

              Sorry Ladies, there was a break in the link. Let me try this again:
              http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/473/ron_paul_introduces_hemp_bill_US
              _congress

              If that still doesn't work, try this one:
              http://www.votehemp.com/federal.html

              Jan
            • Jan
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
                Sharon wrote: I remain unconvinced that Paul is a libertarian ...
                ------

                Sharon, your credentials and experience speak volumes and I am pleased
                to have you join us in this discussion.

                Of those currently seeking the Party's nomination for the 2008 LP
                Presidential Candidate, who do you find most accurately represents the
                principles of Libertarianism?

                Jan
              • sharon presley
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007
                   To be perfectly honest, I am not impressed with what I know of the current LP so I haven't been following the current crop of candidates.

                  Libertarians have a really hard time getting coverage. There is an almost total blackout and blankout on third parties candidates. A candidate that would actually get some attention would be  good but obviously that's not enough.

                  Let me be blunt. Ron Paul would get attention because he is a congress critter. But you have to ask yourself--what kind?  He'll be billed as a conservative. However, if the LP thinks its votes are going to come from conservatives, I'm skeptical. But that's what they always try. How many conservatives are going to vote for Paul? Get real.

                  I looked up the other candidates. The only one I ever heard of is Steve Cubby. He'd get attention alright but is a one-issue candidate--marijuana law repeal. The LP will be deathly afraid of him because they are obsessed with wooing conservatives even though he would probably actually get more votes than staid and boring Ron Paul in his middle-class, middle-age white male suit, if you get my drift here.

                  Then there's Christine Smith, whom I know nothing about. But she is trying to appeal to a different audience than Paul--very interesting. Her website is christinesmithforpresident.com  She lists 10 qualities of a good candidate. I guess she thinks she has all of them--i don't know her so have no opinion. But I liked the list.  Paul matches some but not others--conspicuously, IMO, the following:
                  1) charismatic--Paul has all the charisma of a wet dish rag IMO. He is a boring middle-aged white man who will ONLY get attention because he is a congress critter
                  2) positive persuasive message. The last time I heard him speak, he had nothing but boring platitudes and cliches that even I found unconvincing. I could argue far more persuasively than he did!  Maybe he has improved but I wouldn't bet on it.

                  3) attract women, minorities, young adults. HAHAHAHAHA, no way would Paul attract these audiences.  Guess why?  :)

                  I have railed against the implicit sexism of the LP for years. They are clueless about any audience except middle-age white male conservatives. But I frankly am unconvinced that that is the best audience for the libertarian message. No LP candidate on a national level has ever tried for any other audience so we don't really know.

                  I personally think libertarianism has a lot to offer audiences other than MAWMCs but the current LP is apparently run by MAWMCs so there you are...

                  Forgive my rant. I didn't really answer your question because I don't know much about the other candidates. My guess is that they are more libertarian than Paul who plays down his conservative positions when he is with libertarians. Do you know that he has in the past, lent his name to anti-gay groups?  I recall a fund-raising letter in the 1980s that infuriated me. He may not do that anymore, I don't know, but I don't trust him.

                  I would support a candidate that is a real libertarian on ALL issues and who would appeal to audiences other than MAWMCs and who could actually get media coverage.  I don't know who that is. I do know that Cubby, because of the drug issue, and Smith because she is a woman, would get some coverage. But I don't think for a second that either will get the nomination.  Paul will get it again because he is a MAWMC and so is most of the LP.

                  Do I sound cynical? That's because I am. Take it for what you think it's worth. I have been around since before the LP was formed and it has been going downhill since. Most of the LP candidates have at least been real libertarians except for Paul but one was a scoundrel (no names :)), several had even less charisma than Paul (no names :) ), and even the one with charisma--Harry Browne--was a MAWM, though not a C. :)

                  I end with this message: Conservatives are not your audience!!   As long as the LP is stuck in a time warp appealing to MAWMCs, it will go round in a circle and get nowhere just as it has in the past.

                  Alas.

                  When

                  Jan <libertyjan@...> wrote:
                  Sharon wrote: I remain unconvinced that Paul is a libertarian ...
                  ------

                  Sharon, your credentials and experience speak volumes and I am pleased
                  to have you join us in this discussion.

                  Of those currently seeking the Party's nomination for the 2008 LP
                  Presidential Candidate, who do you find most accurately represents the
                  principles of Libertarianism?

                  Jan

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:MothersForLiberty-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:MothersForLiberty-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                • Erin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2007

                    Regarding Ron Paul's stance on the war on drugs:

                    In fact, I believe that the drug hysteria was whipped up to strengthen big

                    government's hold over us, and to distract Americans from the crimes of

                    Washington, and the addiction to big government that is endemic there.

                    There is Another Way

                    Instead of spending tax money and assaulting civil liberties in the name

                    of fighting drugs - usually couched in childish military metaphors - we

                    should consider a policy based on the American tradition of Freedom. And I

                    know the people are ready. -http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/legal_issues_of_drug_use/ron_paul.html

                    In the last 30 years, we have spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a failed war on drugs. This war has been used as an excuse to attack our liberties and privacy. It has been an excuse to undermine our financial privacy while promoting illegal searches and seizures with many innocent people losing their lives and property. Seizure and forfeiture have harmed a great number of innocent American citizens. - http://www.counterpunch.org/paul1.html

                    Ron Paul was rated by Cannabis Culture Magazine as the number 1 Congressman of the last decade, far and away the number 1 Republican in the House of Representatives, and the highest score of all 435 Members of the House of Representatives in Cannabis Culture's Survey of the 109th Congress. Ron Paul voted against The Patriot Act, the Iraq War, every aspect of the Drug War.  - http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4910.html

                    Enter Ron Paul, the courageous. Numerous colleagues of Rep. Paul, in both the House and Senate, believe as he does regarding the legalization of industrial hemp farming, but they are afraid to go public lest they be accused of being "soft on drugs". This is true, for example, of the North Dakota Congressional delegation, in spite of overwhelming private and public support for farmers being allowed to plant it in their spacious state.

                    On June 23, 2005, Congressman Paul introduced HR 3037, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act. The bill requires the federal government to respect state laws (already five of them) allowing the growing of industrial hemp. Immediately, Congressmen Peter Stark (D - CA) and Jim McDermott (D - WA) co-sponsored the legislation. - http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0625-23.htm

                    Here is a letter he wrote - http://www.mpp.org/site/c.glKZLeMQIsG/b.1087581/k.5A2D/Congressman_Ron_Pauls_GAO_complaint.htm